Hey Umeå fans!

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Oct 26, 2004.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    So how badly do you think Umeå will lose to DIF/Älvsjö in the upcoming Cup matches?

2. begtodiffer

begtodiffer New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man, Umeå is a strong side. Here are some reasons Umeå will pull through:

Ljungberg
    Östberg
    Sjöström
    Moström
    Marklund
    Lundgren

As much as my heart is with Svensson and crew, I think it may take a mini miracle for them to pull one over Umeå.

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'll see your
    and raise you Bengtsson, Svensson, Törnqvist, James, Johansson, and Thunebro. And throw in Coach Dennerby for good measure. Sure, Umeå is pretty good. All the greater glory for DIF!

4. begtodiffer

begtodiffer New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ah...touche. But can they bounce back from their recent 6-2 defeat?!

That is the REAL question.

PS. And, being the dumbass I am, forgot to add Marta to my previous list. Match that!

5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Re: Hey Umeå fans! (R)

I will match that by counting Bengtsson twice, who is having one heck of a year.

And that 6-2 defeat? They put in all their second string, just to make Umeå feel better about themselves.

6. begtodiffer

begtodiffer New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'm happy I didn't put money on this one.

Check out the write-ups on www.uefa.com.

7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

Heja DIF! Woo-hoo! Here's hoping the team that can stop Ljungberg and Marta can also stop Julie Fleeting (who one of my favorite WUSA players, I am sorry to cheer against her).

Umeå will have one more chance for revenge in the Svenska Cup this Saturday... they must be pretty mad by now...

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Link to highlights, result included in title though....

[result]If you go here ( http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=1884 ) and click on where it says "6/11 Dubbelt cupguld för Dif," you can see the highlights.[/result]

9. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

I would have agreed with your statement, but now, with 20/20 hindsight, I'd say they must be pretty crap by now.

There's no way Umeå will bounce back in 2005, having lost half their defensive line (although adding one of the top 3 Swedish defenders and a Brazilian NT defender), and the striker Kalmari to the very arch enemy, who in their turn didn't do any major changes at all to their team, except for some fine tuning and the addition of Kalmari and a bunch of very talanted Hammarby players.

With MFF badly decimated as well, there are no real challengers to the championship. My only hope now is that DIF get beat by the Gunners again in the Women's cup. Having Djurgården fail at least something would be a slight, but only slight, consolation.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Isn't Bengtsson about 50 years old?
    [​IMG]

11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    And she just keeps getting better!

12. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    To be fair, Lundgren wasn't playing any of the last four games against DIF though, and Ljungberg hadn't fully recovered from her ACL injury. But still, they should have pulled through.

The problem was the defense though. DIF never had any play going, except their lightning fast counter attacks, which isn't really a huge problem if you have an above average defense which Umeå used to have. Since Umeås defense was clearly sub par, especially towards the end of the season, DIF got through to score those game winning goals while Umeå had problems tricking the excellent DIF defense, despite dominating the matches in terms of possession.

Still... 2004 sucked badly. I hope for a better 2005, Happy New Year everybody!

13. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Nothing wrong with lightning-fast counterattacks. A defense that includes Östberg cannot be considered sub-par.

And a gott nytt år to you as well. Looking forward to further discussion of DIF dominance! (and Swedish victory in England)