Hey St. Louis - Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Sport Billy, May 23, 2008.

1. bugzsbunny

bugzsbunny New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all, My name is Steph. I grew up in O'Fallon, Mo and I started playing soccer in Kindergarten and kept playing until I was in college. I played my freshman year in college but unfortunately I was better at basketball so I was forced to quit soccer for basketball and so (being young and stupid) I quit college all together and moved with a friend to Columbus Ohio. I've been a Crew fan ever since but I just recently moved back to St. Louis and would love it if we got a team. Thanks for reading and thanks for all the info.

2. STLCelticFan

STLCelticFan New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    O'Fallon, IL
    WELCOME! I am just moving out that way from the Metro East. Glad to see you on the boards.

3. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Hey folks. I'm a Metro/NY supporter who grew up in Nashville, but who lived in NY for 11 years, and went to matches and held season tickets from the inaugural season.

I'll always be Metro, but I want to see expansion to St Louis before anywhere else. On Google maps, my address to the exit for the stadium is exactly 300 miles. I met some of you guys down here for the Olympic qualifiers and my ESC colleagues, who I'll brag on by saying are the US supporters who have always brought it the loudest, were very impressed with the St Louis folks. To not have had a professional team in your city, it's like you were born singing, and good material at that.

So you'll be the closest team to me, and have a core of great supporters who are loud and get what it means to support your team. Even if Atlanta, fifty miles closer to me, were to get a team, I can't stand Atlanta in general. I also lived in Florissant when I was a kid and my first youth team was in the league up there (Sorber was in my age group, but I don't honestly remember him).

I'm planning on being there for a few STL games a year, and not just Metro/NY games. I know that so-called supporters of your team who have a first choice team are basically assholes, so I won't bullshit you guys because everyone hates NY and the last thing you need is some jerk patronizing you.

I was up there last week for work and me and the wife are going to drive up for a weekend this fall, probably in October. I have a couple questions:

1. Where is a good soccer bar, and are there decent non-deluxe hotels nearby?

2. SLU is pretty damn good this year and we might work out our trip to coincide with a game. Is there any kind of organized support for SLU who would could stand with to watch the game?

Some of y'all who were in Nashville might remember me and my wife. I'm the fat ass with glasses who made meat pies for the tailgate and was with the NY boys. My wife has blonde curly hair. We had a great time with y'all.

4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi folks. Real name Cory. National Tijuana was a team in the Mexican 1-A in the 90's. I am from San Diego, the corresponding city, but live in Pittsburgh. I have posted since 5/03, but have gotten way more active and kind of found myself, so to speak, in the last year on here. I follow Manchester City, and this year, Hull, as I am always interested in the first year of a team's current premiership spell. I also follow college women, especially University of Portland. Looking forward to the Sounders (SSFC) next year.

I'm only an occasional drinker, and usually of Budweiser, former Galaxy sponsor.

I only follow soccer, and women's college gymnastics (Pitt).

I am an atheist and political independent, and a community radio fan.

Most pertinently, I have family in Webster Groves and Ballwin.

5. RobGZ redded

RobGZ redded Red Card

Dec 11, 2007
    Cahokia
    My names Rob GZ (Real name Rob)

Im a pimp. Im from Cahokia, IL and went to Cahokia High School. Now i play basketball at Lindenwood Univ in St. Charles. Ive been into soccer since the 2006 world cup and then discovered MLS through Fifa 06. I didnt know America had a league until then. Ive been an avid watcher of soccer ever since.

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you really a pimp, because that would be interesting.

7. orangy718

orangy718 New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    St. Louis
    Hi all, new to the board! Name is Josh, been a big soccer fan for a few years now after playing as a young child and taking a hiatus until college. Can't wait til we hopefully get a team!

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hello! SiberianThunderT (real name Austin) here!
    Lived in STL my whole life and now am a freshman @ WashU.
    I've always been an academic, and really thoughts sports on the whole were a joke until summer '06, when I started watching every World Cup game I could (didn't get cable or satellite, so only got weekend games on ABC). At some point I learned STL was in the running for an MLS team. Then I paid attention to Women's World Cup '07 as much as I could online, and I watched MLS Cup '07 and MLS First Kick '08 on ABC. Finally, this summer, I went to WashU's freshman summer academic program, and living n campus meant getting almost any TV channel I wanted, so I watched almost every game. ^.^ During that time I also discovered watching MLS Primetime Thusday. Then I had to spend some time at home, and I discovered websites that stream online games.
    To make a long story short, I love soccer now, and have been paying attention to MLS, WPS, World Cup Qualifying, and what else not with a passion. I've even joined other sites, like MLS Repository and the WPS fan site - and I've joined Wikipedia to work on stuff, too. ;-D
    REEEAAAALY REALLY REALLY hoping we get that MLS franchise soon - oh, I recently joined Eads Brigade as well, btw.
    Currently, my favorite team is Houston Dynamo, though I'm quite impressed with the Quakes' current run, too.
    Outside soccer, I'm a math/science geek, also well into music, a fan of fantasy/adventure novels...
    I think that's about it for now....
    So hi!

9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm Cville K C (real name Kevin).

I don't really have a favorite team. In the MLS, I have supported New England at times, because they have had a lot of St. Louis players on their roster. I don't have a favorite team in England. At one time I kind of supported AC Milan (please forgive me for that), because I'm Italian and one of their players in the early 90's had nearly the same last name as I do.

I live in Collinsville and can't wait until the new stadium is built less than two miles from my house. WE NEED AN EXPANSION TEAM!

I am planning on supporting the St. Louis-WPS team and have already bought season tickets. I have also ordered my Eads Brigade scarf and looking forward to receiving it.

I don't drink a lot, so I don't have a favorite spot, but when I do drink beer, I'm partial to Newcastle dark.

10. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    What's up Kevin? Good to meet you, I'm from Collinsville too though I no longer live there. We're all looking forward to the new club, hopes are high around here.

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Jimmy, I think you played little league soccer with my nephew Tim LaDow. He lives in Orlando now.

12. MUhooligan10

MUhooligan10 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My name's Steve and I'm a freshman at Mizzou.
    I played midfield all of grade school and I play intramural here.
    I'm Irish all the way and my favorite clubs are Celtic FC and Ireland.
    My favorite player is Robbie Keane which is why I also follow Liverpool.
    I was raised in St. Louis and went to Vianney High School (nice soccer tradition there...).
    I've always had an Irish accent since my mom and dad spoke with one.
    Anyways, that's me.
    I like the color green too...

13. powesp

powesp New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    San Diego
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soon to be back in St. Louis after years of exile. Will live in Soulard. St. Louis soccer will rise again and captivate the enthusiasm of the met area. SLSU might want to call the team something really original, Cutters / Shoesandbooze / Claydiggers / Corkball Loyalists / Dog Town United. Just ideas. Albert's inclusion in future ownership is brilliant. There will be a St. Louis club soon!

14. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got Stejen beat, I'll turn sixty next year. My name is dan and no I don't live in Hawaii. I live in LA now. Left Kirkwood 1963 parents draged me to LA. Have still go realetives down at the Cape. I was a Stars fan and an Aztecs fan. I am a Galaxy fan now only until there is a team in St Louis. I would like the team to be named the Stars just because of the heratige. :)

15. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    One of the few Spurs supporters in st louis here, graduated from mizzou in may, dont really support an American team but am dying for a st louis expansion team

fav beer: deuchars IPA

16. AEaton4

AEaton4 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey. Im Aeaton4.

Im new to the area but am excited for St. Louis to hopefully get a team. Ive been a Chicago Fire fan my whole life but Eads Birgade is already got me hooked on soccer in St. Louis. Got my scarf for christmas! Look forward to supporting our new team with you guys.

17. billno63

billno63 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Princeton, IL
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm Billno63 (and yeah, my first name is Bill).

I lived in the St. Louis area for 26 years (Waterloo, IL to be exact) before moving to north central Illinois. I've followed the Fire since they came into MLS, and I've been to a few games in Naperville and at Soldier Field (I've yet to make it to Toyota Park). I've maintained my loyalty to all sports things St. Louis, though, and needless to say the Fire will become my second favorite MLS team if St. Louis gets a franchise. I can't say that I really follow soccer in Europe as much as I used to, but I favor Man U. because they gave Tim Howard a chance and, hey, why not go with the American-owned team.

I'm not much of a drinker, but when when I do I generally drink Guiness, and if that's not available, any Anhueser-Busch product will do (much to the chagrin of my neighbor, who is constantly trying to push Miller on me:rolleyes:).

18. residentbenchwarmer

residentbenchwarmer New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Chesterfield, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, name's David. Never posted, but have been viewing these boards since even before STL got its own category under candidate cities, and have been excited about St. Louis getting a team since word first came out about the possibility about, oh, 5 years ago now. Sometimes I just like watching y'all duking it out:p

Born in Decatur, IL, used to live in Ballwin, and currently reside in Chesterfield, though during the school year I'm a senior at Wash U. Played soccer at Burroughs, and achieved 2nd in state in '03, though you can probably tell by my screen name what my role was.

Hope Garber gives us some good news soon. I've been waiting long enough.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    YAY! Another WashU student! ^.^ Planning to stay in the area after you graduate?

20. lfulk

lfulk New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Decatur, IL...I'm sorry about that. But that is somewhat relevant to my introduction.

Well first and foremost my name is Laife and I am a current Sophomore at Saint Louis University. I was born in Decatur, IL, as well and grew up in Mt. Zion, IL (one of only two "suburbs" of Decatur really). I'm currently an intern in SLU's Athletic Office and therefore help run all of the games. How I got into soccer really was watching SLU while working this past soccer season and meeting people at SLU soccer games. (Mainly people associated with the St. Louis Athletica and they really got me interested in the professional soccer movement for St. Louis). Although baseball is my main love, I really enjoy working with soccer and am working towards a career in sports management. So for me it's not just the love for the game, it's the love of running, managing, and watching the game as well.

21. residentbenchwarmer

residentbenchwarmer New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Chesterfield, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the time being, yup. Gotta be here when my town gets a team:)

22. CalcioCap11

CalcioCap11 New Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    Feb 20, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My name is Brandon and I'm brand new to St. Louis.

CalcioCap11 comes from Calcio (Italian for soccer, which is one of the several nationalities that my lineage posses and is the origin of my surname,) Cap (the nickname all of my friends call me and 11 (my number for every sport I've ever played.)

I grew up in Ohio and originally a Columbus Crew fan. Decided on sports marketing as a career in college and did an internship with the D.C. United. Moved to Chicago after college and roughly four years later ended up working for the front office of the Chicago Fire.

A little over a year ago I left the Fire and began working for one of the clients that I signed to a sponsorship and suite deal, James Hardie Building Products. In January I was relocated to St. Louis after seven amazing years living on the North side of Chicago.

I have ties to St. Louis through an uncle and my best friend from college and thus have been a Blues and Cardinals fan for many years, though the Cleveland Browns and Ohio State Buckeyes are still a way of life for me.

I'm looking to get actively involved in soccer in St. Louis and drop my third MLS franchise for an expansion team in my new city when it arrives. I play and referee, so if anyone has any advice on where to get into the adult soccer scene I would appreciate it. My girlfriend wants to play co-ed and I would like to join her, but I was also playing very competitive men's league games in Chicago and would like to continue that while my legs are still young enough (I turn 30 this summer.)

I apologize in advance for looking like a front runner with my Manchester United fandom, but my family from England forced it on me as a small child. There were also Spurs and Gunners fans in the family, but the Red Devils were the loudest and the proudest so I joined the party.

23. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bryan here..... Hello.

-Born in South St. Louis in 71, grew up in St. Charles.
    -Live in Indianapolis with a wonderful wife and 3 fantastic kids 12, 10, 4.
    -My Dad (SLU 69) was a soccer nutter. He took me to dozens of Billiken games when I was a kid including many NCAA final matches.
    -Attended WC Qualifiers in St. Louis way back in 1984 and 1985.
    -15 total "caps" watching the USMNT (all in STL, Chicago, Columbus)
    -Played CYO for St. Peters in St. Charles way back in the day, striker and later a holding central mid.
    -Travel player for NORCO for a year (someone else posted NORCO too?) and then for St. Charles United. We were good, winning midwestern tournies at places like Notre Dame, beating all comers! We could never beat Scott Gallagher though. BASTARDS!!!
    -I'm now more shaped like Zach Thornton and Neville Southall
    -Chicago Fire supporter, have stood in Section 8, travelled to away matches as well, attended MLS Cup 8 in LA and had a good sing/shout there as well.
    -A STL Team would re-ignite my passion for this league as I'm casual now
    -Dream summer weekend would be a trip back to STL, catch a Cardinals game, a game in Collinsville, Imos in Webster, Jumbo Dutchman at Drewes, Sybergs Wings, kids to the City Museum, and visit family.
    -Watch 90 of Liverpool matches either on Fox Soccer Channel, or via online streams. I have a case of the "Red Flu" and miss work most Spring Wednesdays when LFC are playing in the Champions League late stages.
    -Liverpool supporter for more than 15 years now. Dog named FOWLER
    -usa1950 username is merely to wind up the English, but I use it on nearly every board I am on, including some Golf boards, lol.
    -Used to be at Tower Tee lots of summer days (Uncle ran the place) and often played with guys like Bob Gaus and Trevor Dodds
    -Worked for A-B in Marketing for the Michelob Brand for 2 years on the PGA Tour
    -Beer preference is yes, but none of that mass produced crap. Good Euro stuff is being slowly replaced by craft American beers like Shlafly, Three Floyds, and Bells' from Michigan
    -Hoosier is indeed a bit of a "smack" of an adjective, but these darn Indiana people love to say it, oblivious to the rest of the country! (Must be careful here, as I married a Hoosier and not being nice carries certain marital penalties... a marital "booking" if you will)
    -Have attended 7 World Series Games at Busch Stadium

-As usual, I've gone on too long.

24. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a future st. louis fan, but a possible future resident of st.lou for grad school

I'd still be a fire supporter, but if I were to judge expansion bids based on asthetics of stadium proposals. Portland and St. Louis, semi enclosed stadiums are awesome, just wish it was along the river or near the city. I won't have a car and therefore will have to bum rides to games. I hate highway interchanges as well.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    grad school huh? congrats! which area college?