Hey ref, don't you know ...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nsa, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I thought he was like 105 years old??? ;)

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the kind words. Yesterday was actually an upgrade assessment match for me, and having Tom there was a big help.

Of course, with the 11 cautions, 3 send offs, 2 penalties and 1 match termination in the three games we've worked together where one of us has been in the middle, maybe we should keep our distance for a little while.

I'm kidding, of course. And in case anyone had any doubts, the penalty that Tom called was indeed deliberate handling. The humorous part came when the team that had a player sent off tried to sneak an 11th man back on the field just before the penalty was taken. It didn't quite work out as well as they had planned.

That would make passing the fitness test pretty remarkable...

3. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Perhaps I was thinking of Statesman then....

What grade were you upgrading for? Hopefully it went well!!

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just seem to get those games, don't we? :D

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grade 5, and it went positively. If I pass a couple more hurdles in the Spring I should be fine.

6. whitehound

whitehound New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    O'fallon Il
    That has got to be the third or forth quote that I am have seen you post on BS that I am going to blatantly plagarize!

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?!? They've added hurdles to the fitness test? ;)

There's a saying: "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It will frustrate you and annoy the pig."

The same is true about trying to educate coaches and players above the age of 12 about the LotG. They really do not care. They are just looking to vent or get you off your game.

8. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "... you have to show the player where 10 yards is. It's too hard to judge."

This from the coach after I have a quiet conversation with her #9 who had twice set up the wall at four yards. "Coach, she knows where 4 yards is. Just triple it and we'll be fine." ;)

9. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Two incidents from this morning's game.

Toss Up. Away team wins.

ME: "What end do you want to defend?"

Player: "We'll have the kick off".

ME: "No. You have to choose an end".

Player: "I do?"

Home team takes a goal kick with a little wind behind a strong kick. Defenders move up as forwards rush through.

Player: "Offside Ref".

ME: "You can't be offside from a goal kick:

Player: "How long has that been in?"

ME: "Oh, since about 1863". :) (When the English F.A. was founded).

"Players". It wouldn't be the same game without them!! :D

10. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Had two nice ones while I was lining a Men's D-1 playoff game today.

Black player took a shot that rebounded off the post to a teammate who had been in an OSP when the shot was taken:
    "He can't be offside on a shot ref!"

Same team, after I called a Black forward for grabbing the jersey of the white defender as they streaked toward the ball:

"You can't make that call!"

I just said: "Yes I can."
    ;)

11. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    My response today to the standard "you must be joking" was "Yeah, I was joking, your ball...PSYCH!!" Well I really just said the first part, but I thought the second part....that must count for SOMETHING!

12. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    My favorite is "Yeah I am kidding. Your on Punk'd!!! Ashton's on his way! But your still not getting the free kick."

13. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Reminds me of what I tell BU10-U14 players on a drop ball. "OK guys, you can play the ball when it hits the ground, anyone who kicks me gets laps after the game."

14. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Nice, gotta remember that for the youngin's.

15. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "He can't be offside, the goalie was out of the box!!!!"

(In the last few minutes of a 3-0 game, the losing team had pushed way up to try to get on the board, and an opponent with a through ball made the mistake of passing to his teammate in the middle instead of just dribbling the ball on into the goal.)

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an new call for a coach last month. Girls rec U14. Keeper comes out for a ball on the left side of the goal. An opponent passes it forward to a teammate about 7 yards out on the right side on the goal with a defender between her and the goal. I whistled offside - only one defender between her and the goal. Had to explain to the coach during the stoppage how the keeper is "normally" one of the last two defenders, but in this case she wasn't.

17. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The coach in my game (BU12 rec) seemed to think that if you got past the keeper, offside didn't apply. Fortunately, his fellow coaches corrected him.

I was a little tweaked about it anyway, in a 3-0 game with five minutes left. Why harass me about a call that's not going to change the outcome? I could understand if it were 3-2 or something (but he'd still have been wrong).

18. Stan

Stan New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    PA
    I always enjoy it when I have made a call, the coach protests loudly, and the player involved quietly tells the coach "he got it right...". This often happens on those "critically important" throw-in direction calls in mid-field.

19. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ref'd an adult match Tuesday night where one of the players was a State Referee 1 (Gr. 5). He played as an attacking midfielder and was pressing forward at one time late in the game. A teammate of his passed the ball out to a player on the wing. As I bring the whistle up to my lips I see three defenders and this one attacker put their hands up in the air to "assist" on the call. :)

I should really send him an e-mail to tell him to stick to ref'ing; he's too honest to be a player. ;)

20. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004
    NAIA women's regional final. I have several incidental handling situations. After me yelling no intent on one (and hearing she gained an advantage that has to be a foul from the fans and coaches) one of the players says to me "it is either a hand ball or it is not. There is no such thing as an unintentional hand ball." She continues trying to argue if it hits the hand it is a foul. I finally inform her that I don't mind arguing, but I prefer to do it with someone who knows the rules. If she wants to continue I can give her plenty of time to go read the rule book on the bus while the rest of us finish the match.

21. whitehound

whitehound New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    O'fallon Il
    This HAPPENS? I need to move to PA!

22. Stan

Stan New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    PA
    It doesn't happen often (player quieting the coach), and when it does I always make a point of thanking the player.

I can't say for sure that it does me any good, but I am in the habit of giving quiet compliments for good play or instances of fair play. Sometimes, after a hard fought 1 v. 1 battle, which has stayed just within the limits of fair play, I will will say "well played ladies/gentlemen." I think it lets both players know I have been watching and hopefully makes the players feel good about their effort.

In general, I would rather be seen as approachable than aloof and arbitrary.

23. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    U14 (or so) girls game. One of the players is being yelled at by an assistant coach; I can see it's getting to her. So I ask, "Do you want me to make her be quiet?" Player says no, then turns, "HEY MOM, SHUT UP!" I would have done it a little nicer than that, but it worked.

24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    In a U-10 girls game that was scoreless, a defender played a ball with her thigh to her keeper, about three yards away and the keeper caught it. To head off a comment from the attacking team's talkative coach I tapped my raised thigh to show what happened, and he didn't comment. The parents, however, were all frazzled, shouting, "You cannot play the ball to your goalie." This went on for about a minute until a parent from the same team said, as I was running towards the parents' side, "Nice call, ref. She didn't use her feet. C'mon, guys, don't shout if you're not sure of the rules."

25. blind_clown

blind_clown New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Under the bleachers
    If you forget your yellow card you can't caution a player. I got this one from a state referee.