Hey, Politics posters, How Relevant ARE you REALLY??

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Sheikh Djabouti, Oct 9, 2003.

1. I mean, come on, really.

As if anyone here, let alone anyone with any real political power, has ever changed their irrational political prejudices or their deeply buried unconscious political motivations that drive their beliefs just because they read something in the BiogSoccer Politics forum.

What difference do you really think your oh-so-rational arguments and facts make in this theatre of the all-powerful Id?

2. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Politics board is fun and very informative. The posters here get info from a variety of sources. Plus, it sharpens one's thinking on politics.

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    If only this section were as relevant as the main part of the boards, which Bruce Arena consults before he picks his starting 11, and which Garber consults as he's making particularly difficult decisions about where to expand. And none of us will forget how DC United canned Ray Hudson after following the expert advice on bigsoccer.com. If only people on the politics board had such influence.

In other words, it's all pretty silly, but it beats working. Don't be so sanctimonious.

4. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    By the way I voted for the pimple. Then again, I'm from California so that would be considered an improvement.

5. Thank you for sharing that. It was very thoughtful and possibly even true.

It also, sadly, completely did not answer my question. Try again.

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This forum is just for fun, an opportunity to write on things that interest us, defend ideas, discover new ones (rarely), and see a different slice of life from whatever cubicle or office we happen to be writing from.

I don't think we really effect much change on the whole, but I admit that my own view of the world and politics has broadened by paying attention to the things going on here. And if we go out and participate in the political process, maybe using some of the information we have gleaned here, this forum just might rate as a pimple, just not a popable one.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nice answer.

8. By the milk from the breasts of the holy Fatima, my friend, sanctimoniousness is the oxygen of the Politics forum. The day people here stop being sanctimonious is the day the forum dies.

Thank you for your attempt at sarcasm, though. It was slightly amusing.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Good point.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    We come from a country where we can express opinions on anything, even if nobody "important" is listening. It's part of our nature and habit thanks to growing up here.

Can you say the same?

11. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

Ding.

12. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hey, MFT and I agree!

13. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Well . . . . . I get to vote. Do you?

14. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    This forum is good for the future politcians to sharpen their political instinct and skills.

15. Speaking of sanctimoniousness...

You're French? Really? Who knew?

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Speaking of sanctimoniousness...

I see you have no interest in addressing the sincere responses. What a surprise.

17. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has to be the best sock puppet name ever.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding.

It's topped only by oprahloveswusa.

19. Even Soviet citizens technically got to vote. As my nephew now says "woop dee freaking doo" (Ah, the joys of international satellite TV). Judging by the utter mess of your last Presidential election, it looks like your votes count as much as Ivan's did.

OK, so I get to twist your nose. Hooray for me. In all seriousness, most of your "elections" are uncontested for all practical purposes, meaning there is no real challenger to the person who is usually the incumbent. And you openly buy your politicians instead of hiding it like most places. You need an options and futures market on your laws to complete the process.

Also, if you're such a happy, functioning democracy and every citizen feels well-represented and involved in decision making processes, why are all your middle aged white men so angry? Why are they spewing anti-government diatribes over the radio and talking of shooting your Federal police and screaming about "taking back our government"? Why do you run about with firearms in the forest and blow up your government buildings? Allah's beard, man, when did Mr. USA Suburban Man start channeling the Black Panthers? what is the source of this violent dissent? Do you have any clue what that means for your democracy?

Yes, your rulers are smart enough to let you talk back once in a while and they take your pulse with "elections". As long as you don't seem like you're about to actually get off your sofa and do something, you can say what you want no matter how stupid or ill-informed. Bully for you. You have smart rulers. They let you chatter while they do as they please. If they make a big mistake, they throw a mere politician to the lions to keep the mob happy. Augustus Caesar would nod in approval. The "American People" are much like the Queen in England. You may reign but you do not rule.

Is that serious enough for you, GringoTex?

It's been fun making a limited point and having a few laughs along the way. My work in this thread is done. Time to hop on my camel and ride off into the sunset. "Yippee-kai-ay, m-fers!"

Allah loves you all.

20. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this guy liberal or conservative?

21. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Hey, Politics posters, How Relevant ARE you REALLY??

Getting the vote means next to nothing if the concomitant rights to free and fair elections, to take part in government, to freely associate and assemble, and to express opinion and dissention are absent.

In addition, all of the above rights have little value if one does not have freedom FROM extra-judicial killngs and torture, as well as arbitrary arrest, dentention or harrassment.

Thirdly, the above rights are less than fully exercised if one does not have access to basic human needs (food ,clothing, shelter), education, health care, labor rights and a livable environment.

Too many people think vote=any meaningful level of democracy. If that were the case, then it could be argued that Saddam had a teensy-weensy bit of democracy within his regime...

22. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I'd tell you what I think of that but the mossad won't let me.

Oh and by the way, a freind of mine really did receive a message on 9/10 to not go to work the next day.

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, but how do you know so much about us posting from the UAE and Monaco?

24. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The Politics forum is cheaper than therapy. And a lot cheaper than lap-dances.

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Not if your mom's a stripper.