Hey Joe............ Gomez

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Jun 20, 2015.

1. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the bum knee and shaky ankle he's been great. He's just cursed with playing alongside three other really good center backs. Makes it hard to get back into the lineup if you get injured.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of last year was getting back up to speed and I think he did that.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Joe was unlucky last season. It took him a little longer than Van Dijk to get back to match fitness, especially since getting Virgil match fit was the priority. By the time Gomez was ready, there were already 3 other outstanding centerbacks in great form. At no point did any of those 3 get hurt, so Gomez never was able to get the games he needed.

Even still, Gomez made some appearances at right back late in the season in which he was outstanding. Man of the match contender while trying to do an impression of Alexander-Arnold. The fact that he filled that role so well shows what a good footballer he is.

People have somehow forgotten that Liverpool won 26 out of their first 27 league games with Joe Gomez starting most of them. It was when our defense was at its absolute peak. Virgil was the best in the league and Joe was the next best.

I think there is a role for Gomez this season for several reasons. He is ready to go from day 1 and has an opportunity to get off to a great start. I think Van Dijk will take more games off this season, especially since the Dutch will likely advance far in the World Cup. I could also see Joel Matip being pushed into the 4th choice centerback. I hate saying that because I think Matip is absolutely brilliantly, but all four of them are. Even late in last season, Konate was starting the big games. I think a decision was made, that Konate’s pace was more important than everything Matip offers. Gomez has that same pace, which is crucial since every team we go up against tries to play in the space between Trent and the right sided centerback.

The fact that Gomez committed his long term future to the club in a World Cup year shows that he is comfortable with his role and with what the plan is for him this season. It is crazy to think that just a little over 12 months ago we were starting Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams at centerback, and here I am writing a long post trying to justify why Joe Gomez still had a role to play at the club.

imasyko and B.A. repped this.
  4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wonder if he will get as many lesser games at RB now that we bought actual cover for Trent??

5. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That depends on how ready the new kid Ramsay is . Can he step in immediately or will he need time to develop more , time to get up to speed with the prem league. It's certainly a huge step up from Scottish football for the 18 year old but I'm looking forward to watching how he does in preseason.

6. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If Klopp sticks to form it's likely Ramsey won't get any meaningful game time for at least the first half of the season (except the cups).

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep - it took Robbo a few months to settle in, likely Ramsey will follow the path you describe delay. unless he's a hell of a quick study.

8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took Luis Diaz zero days to settle. Just sayin'.

:D

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    harder for defenders.

just respondin'

:)

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Joe probably also (like the rest of us) couldn't believe Matip stayed as healthy as he did last season.

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    neither could Matip... ;)

12. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is it just me, or could (a fit) Gomez be an answer to the LCB position?

Suss repped this.
  13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like that idea a lot, but Klopp has never tried it. In preseason Gomez played exclusively at right back. There was a perfect opportunity to try in the last game of the season against Southampton when Robertson was out, but Klopp started Tsmikas.

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    absolutely. he started life with us at LB, and was very effective - even though I believe his right is dominant.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gomez has been one of Liverpool’s best players all season. And speaking to liverpoolfc.com, Robertson hailed the 26-year-old’s consistency, while admitted that Gomez’s teammates are all really rooting for him.

“He’s such an important squad member and such an important player to have around this place, because he can cover every position and every position he has, he doesn’t drop in quality,” says the left-back. “His quality is there to be seen by everyone and I think he is getting the appreciation he deserves. Joey has been fantastic ever since I’ve come to the club. He’s had tough times in terms of injuries as well, but this season he has been phenomenal in every position he has played.

“He has stayed fit and he has got rhythm as well, which is so important. Long may that continue for him because he’s obviously one of the nicer guys, I think he’s the nicest probably within the whole squad. Everyone is just buzzing that he’s doing so well.”

16. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    I'll hold my hands up and admit I was part of the crew that wanted him gone in the summer but fair play to him, he looks reinvigorated and has worked his way back into the team again. Definitely the most improved player we have currently.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    given the injuries to Robbo, Tsimi and Trent plus Conor's absence, Joe has been worth his weight in gold in the past few months. the guy's been playing blinders.

LiverpoolFanatic and soccershaggy repped this.
  18. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    The surprising part is the injuries to all of those.....& it's Joe who's the last man standing.

zaqualung and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  19. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would think he would have been our best option to play left back with AA playing the inverted RB. They could go with a back 3 with 3 legitimate CB when AA pushed up

delaynomo repped this.
  20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Without that curse we'd be fvcked right now, so I'm good with it!

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp as much as said this tonight in the after game press briefing..

B.A. and Binomial repped this.
  22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gomez set to get called up to the England squad. It’s a pretty obvious choice for Southgate if you ask me. He’s starting week in and week out for the the team top of the league. The concern is that Gomez has done a remarkable job staying fit this season, and England has never looked after our players in the same way we do.

Here’s Klopp on Gomez;

He said: “I couldn’t be happier for Joey. He was, in our most successful years, super, super important, played an incredible amount of games in 19/20, probably 18/19 as well.

He had some injuries, stuff happened, and he was in and out of the team, always important to us, but I think this season is the most consistent he played, especially because of the different positions.

I think the least games he played on centre-half [in a season] probably because we always needed him somewhere else, and he did exceptionally well. I think it developed his game, massively.

“If you would have asked me before the season about inverted right or left-back, what do you think about generally the No. 6, I don’t know if I would have said, ‘Yeah, of course, Joey can do that!’

“But that’s what opportunity sometimes does to you, that you really grow with the challenges you face and that’s what Joey definitely did. He’s in exceptional shape and long may it continue.”

23. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Nice recognition for Joe, but really would rather not have him risking injuries here.

SamScouse and Binomial repped this.