Hexagonal Venues!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by galaxyfan03, Nov 19, 2004.

1. SnowyAruba

SnowyAruba New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin, TX
    A bunch of Wizards fans grilled GM Curt Johnson about it at MLS Cup weekend, and he said that Arrowhead was probably #2 on the list of cities to get a game, so I would expect at least one of them to go to Kansas City.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    IIRC SLC is field turf. I know it is an acceptable surface, but I don't think they will play on plastic as long as first class grass stadia is available.

Maybe the Metros can host a game in their SSS stadium. Since it won't be done in time, they can play on the little scale model that is in Nick S.'s office while we await the ground breaking "any day now."

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Chicago broke ground today, but it won't be ready until the 2006 MLS season, so I assume that would be too late for a WCQ, but maybe it could host a match in that series of matches before the team leaves for the World Cup?

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I can't wait to play Mexico in Rochester in 2009.

5. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Philly?? Beautiful new stadium and huge draws for the Champions Tour matches.

6. tacos

tacos Member

Aug 5, 2003
    London
    I just moved to Boston from San Francisco and Chicago before that and GODDAMMIT WE'RE GONNA HAVE A QUALIFIER HERE!! Why else would I have accepted a SF to Boston transfer?

Go Hawkeyes.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    here's my list of venues:

Mexico-Foxboro
    Costa Rica-Seattle
    Guatemala-KC
    Panama-HDC
    Trinidad & Tobago-Dallas

some regional diversity, which should add extra attendance considering the over saturation of rfk and columbus...

8. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly

9. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    if slc is 5k, isn't that the same as denver then?? don't see how the rapids were helped all that much due to it??

while there is some altitude affects at 5k, there'a a huge difference going up to 7k and 9k...

I do agree though, salt lake should be seriously considered...and given the alledged fitness edge usa should have over most of its concacaf foes...5k should NOT be a factor at all AGAINST USA...

10. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    They really need to figure out a way for that to be less of an issue.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    perhaps NASA has a couple extra of those 7000 mph planes sitting around that they'd be willing to let US Soccer use.

12. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent ! Our new 20,000 stadium would be an ideal venue to host a team like T&T.

13. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Portland, Portland, Portland. Did I mention Portland :D ?

97 WCQ here is still mentioned as the most pro-US WCQ in history. Believe me when I say that Portland and more specifically the Timbers Army would welcome everyone from across the country and make one rocking stadium.

I could easily see a USA Supporters section of a couple thousand with a sold out stadium rocking along with them.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Why is it that I have no recollection of this game?
    Please refresh my mind with articles, pics, videos, etc.... !!!

15. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    it was against costa rica, and memory had tab ramos nailing a long goal form outside the box....

nice crowd, nice atmosphere, looked to be a sell -out form my view on the couch!!

16. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    This may have been asked BUT when will the dates and opponents be announced?

17. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I'd love a world cup qualifier in Philly, and Philly is a good soccer city -- I have no doubt that, if advertised sufficiently, the game would draw a respectable crowd. But I think I remember reading that the field at the Linc is too narrow... Not so narrow that a Women's World Cup match wasn't played there, or Champions World friendlies between European clubs, but too narrow for us to ever get a world cup qualifier or an MLS team... :(

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF said they will announce the schedules on November 30. The opponents as already mentioned in this topic are Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama, and Trinidad and Tobago. http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2833 gives the match dates.

19. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great to me. USSF MUST utilize the entire country & not just focus on the East Coast. This could be GREAT news for L.A., Seattle & Portland!! I know Bruce HATES coming to the West Coast (because of travel) but he's also been adamant about "lack of US support" & scheduling Trinidad, Costa Rica & Guatemala in places like Foxboro or RFK does NOTHING for US "home-field" advantage.

I think Bruce will be "pleasantly surprised" by the support that the West Coast would give the USMNT.

GIVE US A CHANCE!!!

20. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's NO way that Crew Stadium doesn't get a WCQ next year. It is a GREAT venue & has SOLID support for the USMNT. And Mexico in Foxboro?? Not so sure that would work.

I'd put Mexico in C-bus & Costa Rica in Foxboro. Guatemala in KC sounds good. Sorry, Seattle but I don' see them getting a WCQ after getting the 2 Gold Cup games. I would LOVE to see Seattle get a Hex game & hope I'm wrong.

21. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAN'T WAIT until November 30!!

Then, the question is when will the USSF announce the venues for the 5 home Hex matches??

22. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico - Houston

I believe they played a friendly there before, but this game would be guaranteed to sell with a packed house, and we can get a better gauge of how good the team is.

Guatemala - Los Angeles

Costa Rica - Chicago

Panama - Columbus

Trinidad & Tobago - Kansas City

23. Bonz

Bonz New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Western NY
    Surely you jest! Why in the world would USSF do this? I know they're known for doing some pretty questionable things, but even they would know better than to force the team to play TWO AWAY games against Mexico.

24. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET

I say...

Mexico - In the Rose Bowl

Guatemala - DC

Costa Rica - Miami

Panama - New York

T & T - New England

Guaranteed to have large noisy crowds, it'll make all the players excited to play in such wonderful atmospheres!!!!!!!!!!111111

25. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico in Houston & Guatemala in LA?? You must be kidding!!

Friendlies are one thing but WCQ is do-or-die & NO time to "play games."