He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, you had no problem saying Tom Brady is in far superior shape than Wondo (by diet alone).;) Are you saying his shit doesn't stink?:D
    How does Brady's diet make him in superior shape than Wondo? I would bet any amount of money Wondo could run Brady into the ground, so Brady's diet certainly doesn't make his stamina better than Wondo's. Brady likely can lift heavier weights than Wondo. So, I guess he is in better shape strength wise, but, that has more to do with time spent in the weight room, and not diet alone.

And fwiw, I remember back in the NASL days the Seattle Sounders, Mariners and SuperSonics all did a treadmill test, and the worst scoring Sounder outperformed the best scoring Mariner or Sonic.

JazzyJ repped this.
  2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A soccer player covers that distance in over 2 hours. There is nothing particularly special about this. That means that if you started walking at a fast pace when the first whistle went, you would probably have covered the same distance as a soccer player.

The training involved to be able to run like one of the speed guys in NFL (and the selection process that filters the people that get to the NFL) means that the NFL players are just next level to any sport.

There is of course variation in what NFL players do. The average CB, Safety, and WR will completely wipe the floor with a majority soccer player in strength, explosiveness, short track speed, agility and would be marginally average with soccer in long distance. These guys are MUCH faster on the field than soccer players. The numbers show it. Any real numbers show them to be significantly slower than the fast guys in the NFL.

The average linebacker, running back, is much more explosive than a soccer player and MUCH stronger but might struggle in longer distance running because of the extra weight.

The linemen in the NFL are obviously too heavy to run for long, but have crazy explosiveness over short distances and jumping etc, but more significantly are insanely strong.

If you add the entire weight of NFL gear onto Wondolowski he would be extremely slow beyond what he already runs. Rios is extremely slow and couldn't out perform any NFL athlete, if you've ever watched the NFL combine, some of them linemen are faster on the 40 then a LOT of soccer players.

https://statsports.com/how-do-nfl-stars-stack-up-against-soccers-fastest/

I can run 2 miles in 12:30ish does that make me a superior athlete then a Marcinkowski who probably cant?

falvo repped this.
  3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never discredited Wondolowski's stamina but comparing him to an NFL QB being physically more fit is absolute dick shit.

Wondolowski couldn't out perform any NFL WR or Cornerback in the NFL in terms of speed or physical power.

Just because he runs longer doesn't make him more athletic, I'm sure most of the fat fcuk old men here could run 7 miles in 90 minutes its not that hard to do, which is what average soccer players dependent on position do. That doesn't make them any more superior then any other athlete.

Again NFL/Other Sports vs Pro Soccer players shouldn't be compared, but since it's the new topic for JazzyJ to stick his compulsive fetish for now, it's now something people like myself will engage in.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Good point. They are two different sports and there is no comparison. I think there were studies done that actual running done during a game of most NFL players are only 3-4 minutes at most. The rest is all stop and starts. a QB also rarely runs and mostly stands in the pocket throwing the ball.

Completely different position thank any other. Soccer players and especially forwards are running constantly for 3-4 miles if not more a game and for 2 hours laterally, diagonally and horizontally.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #3705 JazzyJ, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    You're still not getting it.

As I said, I am a soccer snob. That doesn't have to do with logic as much as it does personal preference. If I said I was a classical music snob (and I'm not but if I were), you could tell me until you're blue in the face how great rock and roll is, and I'd be, "Yeah, can you stop now I'm trying to listen to Dvořák's 7th Symphony".

I like the athlete who is highly skilled and can run for two hours straight over the athlete who takes a few steps back and throws a ball 30 times a game. But that's just me. I get it, it's really, really hard to take a few steps back and throw a ball the way Brady does, and sometimes the guys on the other team are really mean to him. Just not my cup of tea in terms of athletics.

Yes, it's apples to oranges, and I like apples. Don't waste your time telling me all the great things about oranges.

6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us how Brady is more physically fit? What's your criteria?

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you NOT do the same thing until your blue in the face with Thompson towards others?

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy wakes up at 5:30 everyday and goes through a very extensive workout. His body is age is 43 but functions like a 23 year old, it has a lot to do with diet and calastetics. Athletically he's bigger, he's stronger and he's built to last. He could take physically abuse, he can run long distances, his muscles and body are god-like and he will look 40 when he's 80 if he continues down the road he is.

Wondolowski is fit, but being more athletic he isn't. He could run forever probably not. Tom could likley outrun him, albiet slower. What will effect Wondolowski is diet. If you out them both through the fitness gauntlet Brady would most likley win.

With all that said, pretty sure WWE and Hockey players are physically in better shape then most athletes.

The NXT developmental combine is incredible.
    Football and soccer players who've worked with wwe or did a workout said the WWE training program for developmental guys and gals is physically more demanding then anything they've gone through. Includes Pat McAfee, Rob Gronkowski, George Kittle, Hope Solo, Andy Grenubaum, and Fernando Torres

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There's a difference between 1) saying objectively, TT sucks, and 2) saying he may or may not be good, but I don't like the style that he plays. If it's the latter, then fine. If it's the former, I'd like to see the data, and I may have some data to counter :).

Kaitlyn repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think this whole conversation belongs in the "Random Gibberish" thread, because that's what it is to me...

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I agree with you on TT, on the style he's asked to play makes him suck.

As for just sucks, well that's subjective. I plead the 5th there. He paid me to make a camp poster for him so the suckage isn't that high lmao.

JazzyJ repped this.
  12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played a number of sport for many years, including soccer and ice hockey... hockey had the harder workouts. I also did Hapkido which is a defense based Korean street fighting martial art (my training was 1/3 Judo, 1/3 Taekwondo and 1/3 Hapkido) for 10 years... they were BY FAR the harder workouts but mostly because I'm not flexible at all so I was working twice as hard as everyone to try and compensate.

mjlee22 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey Players are incredible shape, flexibility, agility and muscle definition are far and beyond in-human.

14. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were there ever any reports of an MLS team legitimately interested in signing Wondo for 2021?

15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope

16. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had me agreeing vehemently all the way up to your last sentence :D:eek:

Kaitlyn repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you been paying attention? She has a thing about ass*s and asshol*s

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO

Well of course.

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we all know that! It’s just that she was so cogent up until that reversion to type. :D

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mjlee22, bsman and Seismothusiast repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems totally fair to me. He's the only player worth watching most seasons. Should have a cool crest.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Looks like an arrowhead. I wonder if the symbol is related to the Kiowa tribe.

23. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On his website there is a version with multiple colors used on the logo which makes is easier to read.

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the "W" and the "8"?;)