He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I decided to be creative today... spent a LOT of time working on this, sent it to him for final approval.

Its formatted for HD Wide Screen Monitors. Click the image to bring it up full size.

[​IMG]

mjlee22 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Very nice!!!!
    Though you should change "I?D" to "I'D". :)

Seismothusiast and Kaitlyn repped this.
  5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch!!!

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was confusing...

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He’s being hired by a rival network? I would bet on Fox if that’s the case.

9. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why you gotta make me cry girl?

10. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, it probably helped that he was playing a shitty ass LAG team 3x after all the blowouts.

C'mon man, what the fcuck is with all this apologies? The guy isn't hacking it here in this league, simple as that. It's not even about the budget anymore, dude just couldn't coach worth shit last season.

Playoff threshold lowered. That's how he got in, to get dropped by a sheep in wolf's clothing. In MLS is back we were lucky in that Vancouver game, and rode that wave of momentum over shitty Chicago and shitty RSL. Got stopped right in our track when an actual decent team shows up to play.

11. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good coach is someone who can outcoach his oppositions and over-coach his roster. Give any coach a blank check and most likely they will do well, you don't need to have an Almeyda for that.

Once again, the roster is middle of the road in terms of spending. He was not able to actually coach this team to match its roster ranking, he under-coached it.

12. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give most average coaches a decent roster to work with, and they will be fine, we don't need Almeyda for that.

Good coaches separate themselves when they can over-coach their roster's salary. Excellent coaches are the ones who can win against good coaches.

Average to bad coaches either coach to their roster's salary level or (in Almeyda's case) coach them to below its salary level.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bsman repped this.
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty funny to compare Tom Brady who's a mega-healthy advocate, versus Wondo who had that free year of Chipotle. The only thing I've ever heard about reasons for his longevity is when Wondo said he has no muscles to injure.

That being said, go Kansas City!

15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    43 years old, still playing QB at a very high level, that’s pretty impressive, but let’s face it, Tom doesn’t run around all that much. Not sure he even breaks a sweat. It’s a trot back and hand off or make a throw. He’s using a single throw and his brain most of the time to do his job. Playing soccer at an advanced age is harder IMO, and an even more impressive achievement.

mjlee22 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's harder. Wo dolowsmi doesn't take the physical abuse a Quarterback takes. Granted Tom isn't blown up every down, buthetskes his fair share of licks. He's also perfected his game, I hate him as a player so he protects himself. The mental aspect is grater in football. You have to mentally be quick where soccer you can disappear most of the game.

Comparing both though is apples to assholes.

bobby_guzman and Seismothusiast repped this.
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3692 Goodsport, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Is that his Polish name? ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

Kaitlyn repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, that's just it, Brady is smart, and that allows him to not have to be so athletic. I don't think you can get away with that in soccer. He have to be very highly conditioned, and the range of athletic plays you have to make is much greater than that of a QB. I mean he gets the ball, he back-pedals a few steps and he either throws or hands the ball to someone. He takes hits, but there's nothing all that athletic about that. You're just going to feel pain :).

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3694 falvo, Jan 28, 2021
    Wishing Chris Wondolowski, the greatest MLS goal scorer ever a very Happy 38th Birthday!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

davez and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondolowski is unathletic compared to the younger generation of soccer professional athletes. He's slow, he is smart and positions himself well like Tom Brady. Brady is also in far superior shape then Wondolowski by diet alone. I don't think Brady posts snapchat stories with Deep friend Jalapeno Poppers and various sweets and candy bars like Wondo does. Diet alone has brady above Wondo.

Wondo has survived because he's smart. Athletically he is one of the least athletic guys on the team/league.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #3696 JazzyJ, Jan 28, 2021
    Wondo may not eat well, like Brady does, but he stays in great shape regardless. Last year, looked like he'd really trimmed down. He was probably thinner than he'd been in years, I think because he wanted to get as much as he possibly could out of his aging body in his last year or two. He was second in the beep test either this year or last, which is pretty amazing for a 36 / 37 year old, going against a bunch of guys in their 20's. Wondo's slow but always had great stamina - it's probably a natural thing, he was a great middle distance guy in High School.

I'm a bit of a soccer snob when it comes to athleticism. The amount of running you have to do is insane. A football player would die after 20-30 minutes of soccer whereas you could pads on a quick soccer player and they could play a full game at cornerback or something. Maybe not all that well, but they'd make it through the game. Football is more about speed and strength and just ridiculous unhealthy mass for lineman. And for QBs like Brady, it's really just about smart decisions, and a good, accurate arm. That's really all it is. And baseball players - forget about it. I question whether baseball is even a sport. Many of the players don't look like athletes at all. Basketball? That tiny court - these guys take 5 strides on they've gone full court - with breaks for fouls every 20 seconds? Wimps! No thanks. :)

As great as guys like Brady and Montana are / were, they aren't / weren't particularly fast and couldn't really run. Some day a guy will come along who has the decision making and passing accuracy of those guys but can also run. He may already be playing. Russell Wilson is really, really good, and if he were on the Pats for the last 10 years, he'd probably have 5 Super Bowl rings. Mahomes is very good, and will probably win his 2nd straight championship. There is a new breed coming, and I think one of them is going to surpass the slow "drop back QB" guys because they will have more dimensions. Steve Young was also very good and had those multiple dimensions, but his career was short once he got on a good team and started getting starts. Thing is, you can't just be good, you also need longevity and to be on a consistently good team. Brady and Montana were very fortunate in that regard. Seahawks have been good, but not quite elite, and that's not Wilson's fault. Wilson should have 2 rings, but Pete Carroll blew it. Mahomes will probably have 2 rings at 25, but not sure how long KC can stay at the top.

22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're completely different types of games and comparing the types of athleticism required for each sport is very different. It shows great ignorance to say one is superior to another, and if you want the sport that takes the most cardiovascular energy and, strength is hockey.

Football players at every position are designed differently, soccer is short bursts of speed with long distance running, where football players are built for 10 yard full sprint. Running backs and receivers and certain defensive players would out pace a good majority of soccer players in the short distance, and some even long distance. While football does have shorter intervals you still are going at a high heart rate and pace and the starting and stopping also takes a toll, along with the mental aspect of the game as well as taking a hit along the way. A soccer player couldn't take that kind of abuse. The body is trained differently in every sport.

Soccer is the same in many regards to football, positions are trained differently and the body muscle and endurances are different. Center Backs and a good majority of forwards are slow and don't run long distances. Same for centerbacks. Wing backs and Wing midfielders are generally very fast and run more then most positions on the field, center mids and d-mids are built for long distance rather then speed.

Our fitness coach in high school had every player at certain positions doing different calisthenics based off position and the types of muscle usage each position needs to execute athletically.

Comparing Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer and Hockey athleticism and stating whos' more athletics is like pulling a piece of shit from your asshol* and comparing it with your friends and saying which one smells the worst.

mjlee22 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #3698 JazzyJ, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    As I said, I'm a soccer snob when it comes to comparing athleticism in sports. You just wrote 300 words to confirm what I already wrote. And as I said, a football player or a basketball player wouldn't last 20 minutes in a soccer match. A baseball player wouldn't last 5 minutes. I like sports where you have to be well-conditioned aerobically, and not so much the sports where you can be successful with a huge beer gut (baseball, football linemen, bowling). So sue me.

24. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under those beer guts generally are a lot of well-built muscles. They just happen to have high body-fat which hides those muscles.

Yeah, I wouldn't go around comparing different sports. Outside of soccer, I wouldn't pick Messi for any other sports in a backyard league.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Baseball players can have high body fat because they don't really play a sport. They play a pastime. I mean they barely have to run. They generally don't need to break a sweat. I'm still pissed off that I spent so much of my youth playing little league baseball - standing in the outfield, and then sitting in the dugout except for every 40 minutes or so when I'd bat. Would have been nice to have spent that time getting some exercise.

bobby_guzman, mjlee22 and Earthshaker repped this.