Hertha BSC Berlin thread[R]

Discussion in 'Germany' started by hertha supporter, Oct 31, 2004.

1. hertha supporter

hertha supporter New Member

May 4, 2004
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hertha hopeful on Arne

If you ask me, other than Marcelinho, Arne Friedrich is the only other great Hertha player. The rest (although Gilberto is having a great season) are merely average, servicable players, and the strikers are totally crap. He's a good goalscorer as a defender (although he hasn't scored yet for die Nationalmannshaft) and is a good dribbler of the ball. He is also an important defender on die Bundesliga's stingiest defense (only allowed 10 goals so well). He is essential for Hertha's attempt to get into Europe and if Bayern get him, there is no one on the Hertha team can replace him.

2. shutoutj

shutoutj New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Rome, Georgia
    Re: Hertha BSC Berlin thread

I rate Gilberto as above average. And what about Bastürk? He was great during some of his games at Leverkusen.
    You're right about Friedrich though. I thought he was a central defender, instead of a right back, where he was playing during the Euros. What's he better at?

As for the team itself, I don't see them winning anything in the near future. Sorry. Maybe in 4 years or more.

3. hertha supporter

May 4, 2004
    Boston, MA, USA

Well, it doesn't look good for Hertha again with injuries; Friedrich is now out for a month. Looks like they may give Rehmer another chance in the subs bench this time after he came back from an 8 match ban in Hertha Amateur's 2-1 victory over Holstein Kiel in die Regionalliga.

Luckily, Madlung's silly red card was overturned. Hopeful, this injury won't blemish Hertha's defensive record.

4. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004

My german friend's friend plays in Hertha Berlin

5. hertha supporter

May 4, 2004
    Boston, MA, USA

What's his name? The German friend's friend.

6. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

I don't think he's able to respond at the moment! ;)

7. hertha supporter

May 4, 2004
    Boston, MA, USA

It would be cool if he did respond, though.

8. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

My post didn't make sense at all, sorry!
    I wrongly assumed that he was red cardrd but it's just a yelllow.

9. hertha supporter

May 4, 2004
    Boston, MA, USA

I didn't quite understand your post anyways either, but whatever, I hope all is forgiven lol.

1-1 against Bremen, on to arch-rivals Schalke 04. Once again, the strikers are totally crap and should all be released because they suck so much. Looks like our interest in Elber should increase because we need scorers that are not midfielders!

10. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Haha. But you have got some great strikers. Bobic and Rafael, they are simply superb. and Wichniarek is top of the scoring charts isn t he
    :rolleyes: ?

11. hertha supporter

May 4, 2004
    Boston, MA, USA

2 goals...wonderful output in 12 games... hahaha

12. brandonFC

brandonFC New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Just East of Tampa

Very impressive 3-1 victory in the "Arena Auf Schalke" on Saturday. It was excellent seeing the blau/weiss Berliner for a second straight week on Fox Sports World here in the USA.
    Maybe the Striker situation is not as bad as it seemed earlier in the season?

13. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Hertha BSC Berlin thread [R]

Hertha Berlin v Borussia M'gladbach

Hertha should manhandle the lowly Gladbach side. I'm thinking 2-0 to the Berliners.

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia

Marcelinho is really running the show for Hertha at the minute, he is pratically pulling this team through. Without him we would be down in the relegation zone, as we were when he he was out for most of last season.

Its about time we get a new CF in January. Rafael has done okay, but he can't lead the line imo. Bobic and Wichniarek are a joke as a goalscroing threat.

I think we should try and bring FC Basel striker Christian Giminez to the club.

Giovanni Elber? He has a broken leg and won't be back till around February. Even if he is fit in Jan, what about his form after getting this injury. Lyon won't get rid of him just like that.

15. brandonFC

brandonFC New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Just East of Tampa

Speaking of CF'ers...does anyone know the whereabouts of former HBSC striker Karl-Heinz Granitza? I followed him, and his team the Chicago Sting, in the old NASL league, but I haven't heard where he went following his career here.

16. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia

Read this:

http://morgenpost.berlin1.de/inhalt/sport/story637272.html

Sorry my German is crap, so I can't translate it for you....:(

17. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany

Long story short:
    He came back to germany in 1991 (so I guess he retired in the US), and now owns a pub in his hometown Berlin. The rest is about him being promoted to the hall of fame and the fact, that he still is very popular in the states.

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Still 0-0 in the 1st half in Berlin. Both sides have had chances, more so to Hertha.

19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Berlin finally scores....1-0. Reina put one past the GK @ the 38th minute.
    I don't seen Berlin losing this match. They have only lost 3 matches all season equal with Bayern Munich.

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

6-0!!!!! with 9 minutes to play......OH MY WORD!!! Now that is a serious BEATING>>>>

BMG is begging for this match to end. I have never seen such a dominate performance by a club in 1 half in the Bundesliga in the past 3 years that I have been watching........AMAZING!

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Hertha Berlin 6-0 BMG!

Hertha gave their goal differential a serious boost and proved that they can score.

22. shutoutj

shutoutj New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Rome, Georgia

Congratulations Hertha! Maybe the championship will go to the capital this year.

If only all their first halves weren't boring...

23. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia

:eek: WOW!

What a result! Finally this team is showing what it can do. We have some really talented players at the club but some duffers as well. Let's keep climbing that table and get some decent CF's in come Jan.

Man, for once this team is actually turning a corner after so many dead-ends and stop-signs.

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Hannover 96 vs Hertha BSC Berlin [R]

This match should end in a 1-1 draw. Hannover is playing good footie and so is Hertha. Should make for a fine match.

25. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hertha is a team worth watching. They have some serious quality in Marcelinho and Friedrich, but there are some other players that add to their attack and defense like Gilberto and Simunic.

I think if Hertha makes it into Europe this season (will only happen with continued superb defense and some more goals coming from their pathetic frontline) they will go out and buy a striker or two.

I read a rumor that Bobic may leave for the US. I would welcome that as i think he would quickly become one of the better target men in the US, since there are so few, and also because Hertha would go out and buy a new forward.

Rafael and Wichniarek are not getting it done up front and Bobic and Reina are way too old.

I have been a fan of Hertha since 98. back then they had Preetz up top as their target forward. If they can not find another top striker in the next year or so they will have waisted Marcelinho's career. He is 28, and by 32 he will be done. Hertha need to make a move, and next year, with all the focus in Germany being in Berlin for the WC, they should really step it up and make 2-3 additions to try for the top-spot/champions league. I would love to see Marcelinho lift a trophy or two before he retires.