Heroes and Villains

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Dark Savante, Nov 16, 2006.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wish I could say I'm surprised.

It's hilarious how I'm still associated with defending Rooney and claiming he never did anything wrong. It's like my post-match posts for the past three to four months never existed.

YAWN.

2. WorldCup_Fanatic

Oct 30, 2006
    Don't want to beat a dead Shrek, but...

Rooney as a villain?

Don't see it.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Ill give a more reasonable reason... I hate his petulant side. I dont like how he plays in Europe even though at the moment it just seems a temporary thing atleast imo. People like to say he is targeted, but there have been numerous incidents in whichhe got off easy. For instance, against Spain he pushed Casillas over the barriers. Against Northern Ireland, he jumped up for a 50/50 challenge and ended up punching or attempting to punch that player in the head, then he refused to calm down and listen to his captain. Then for stepping on somone balls.

Its nothing to do with his overall play as he's been great in England. But in Europe, he's been a disappoinment. Wether he's been played out of position or not, I expect a lot more from him.

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's an engine for United in the EPL, no doubt. And he is a "hero" for that. There are games where he is absolutely brilliant, and is the only person giving his all for us. But at the same time, no United fan can honestly say he's come good in Europe. 3 goals in more than 2 years, and those all coming in 1 game against Fenerbahce, lowly opposition IMO? He has to earn his stripes out there, especially considering we had a guy like Ruud who damn near scored in every UEFA game.

I do believe Rooney will come good in Europe though, and there is no way I can call him a villain.

5. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah man u is ahead of the game although barc is the team to beat..or should i say.."renaldinho" is the player to watch...
    another question to the forum

is it me or is renaldinho the best player in the world at the moment?...all his passes are precise..his creativity is outrageous and his goal scoring ability is abnormal?..i also watched the renaldino from man u last weekend..and seen him juggle over 3 people from the middle of the field to the 18....doesnt chelsea play barcelona this weekend?

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Wrong thread homie

7. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    look .."homes"...this is the right thread..i was going to talk about your boy renaldino but decided i wouldnt anyways..who cares..bout history.."its a new day in soccer" and money doesnt always win championships..you manchester arthritis fan

8. WorldCup_Fanatic

Oct 30, 2006
    I appreciate the clarification.

I think it was DS and some other people who were talking about Rooney's inability to take direction and listen to his captain - because the captains' are weaker characters than Rooney, etc.

I think you have to look at how totally impotent he was for weeks on end after he tried to be someone he wasn't (after being scared "straight" from being ejected from the WC and then the friendly in Holland, was it?). As strong-headed as he is I just don't think Rooney can play strongly, forcefully and effectively if he tries to change and be a more refined or subdued or a "disciplined" player. His gift is his rawness. Without that edge he is nothing.

Also, do you think Beckham had any control over him? Even though I've read how he thinks Beckham is all flash and pomposity, Rooney didn't get into that trampling with Carvalho and Petit until several about 5-10 minutes after Beckham was subbed out in their quarterfinals against Portugal. Just wondering.

9. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    im american...i love rooney.but then again.."i love villans"..rooney is one..you can tell he has been priviledged his whole life and doesnt respect authority..probably doesnt like minorities either..people like him usually dont..but i think the guy that gets the bad rap on man u is renaldino..maybe someone can tell me why europe hates him...he looks like a poster boy for calvin klein or something(no homo) is that why?...or is because the world cup and his flopping?

the guy i fucing hate is that campo guy from bolton ..he is a prick..and a dirty player...

10. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh yeah ..im african american also..lol..i hate the "italy team"...thanks zindane..

11. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So I have got to ask. Who the ******** is renaldino? :confused:

12. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He must play for FC United :cool:

Right I'll get my coat ! :D

13. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the kid from the portugese team thats hated by many loved by few..i wonder if he is gay and thats why he is hated so much...he plays on manchester united..

14. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Never heard of him.

15. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    or is his name renaldo?...i thought renaldo was the kid on real madrid the old guy from brazil....christian renaldino from manchester united is in a class of his own.

16. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry, was just fcuking with you.

It was obvious who you meant, Cristiano Ronaldo.

t'was just more fun to play dumb. :)

17. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really a shame, as DS created a brilliant thread.

18. WorldCup_Fanatic

Oct 30, 2006
    Hahahahahahahaha.

Repped to infinity!

Edited to Add: No offense to Charlie. Just funny. Obviously confusing C.Ronaldo with Ronaldinho - the Brazilian that plays for Barcelona.

Edited to add: Sorry, Sapph. I don't think I'm helping. Catch you later.

19. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Listen up you piss poor WUM .....His name is Cristiano Ronaldo.

20. Fandando

Fandando New Member

May 2, 2006
    Perhaps the mods can clean it up?

21. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lol@my dumb ass....i just asked my wife.."is it christian ronaldo...or renaldinho"...her response was disgust..."as much man u soccer and premier league soccer you watch.and you dont know?"....i still am confused with their names..look...there is a "ronaldo,rinaldo,rinaldinho...and i think there is another brazilian renaldo too..

but yeah thats who i ment....lol

kid is sick with the ball though answer my question tho guys.."why do people hate him"

22. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I find it laughable that you have a wife.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'll try to stick to players during my time period and ones I can remember.

Heroes

Cantona - What else can be said about Eric? He was a hero to all of us and the catalyst to our success. I'm not going to do him an injustice or repeat what others but simply say that I loved him for his attitude, style of play and for what he did for our club. His time at Man Utd was incredible and I thank him for it.

Keane - The aggression, tackles, Haaland, outbursts at players/fans, leadership, influence, will to win, presence, Roy Keane had it all. He is the reason I love the club and he is the reason why I now play in central midfield. He's a hero, an inspiration, a legend, a God. There was no line and he fought for what he believed in until the day he left. We can never repay the debt of gratitude we owe that man. For him to be sacked by Ferguson is a disgrace and I will never forgive him for that final act of betrayal.

Van Nistelrooy - He was simply a goal machine. The best striker I have ever seen during my lifetime. He could always be relied upon to score and pre-injury showed to everyone what being clinical was all about. I just love him to bits. Bang, bang, bang. Hattrick. It was unbelievable. In Europe he was phenomenal. That goal against Basel, wow! Simply a stunning player who is a legend and could have been our all-time record goal scorer had he remained at the club. I was gutted when he left and it is something that I will never forgive Ferguson for.

Sharpe - I loved his direct running, pace, goals and The Sharpey shuffle. Before Giggs, Sharpe was our left-wing but he lost his love of the game and was shipped out fall off the map with little clubs and eventually retire to a career of reality television. Despite that he lingers in my memory and stands out from my childhood, with that game against Arsenal particularly standing out.

Schmeichel/Van der Gauw - If I'm being honest Peter was never really a hero of mine until that penalty save against Arsenal in the cup. He was a great player but one that I didn't give much attention to. In many ways I didn't appreciate what he brought to the side. After all, he's only a keeper and when he is basically the only keeper you can remember it's easy to take him for granted. Hell, there are even times I got pissed off when I saw him screaming at our defense. That save changed things. Raymond was the perfect back-up keeper who knew what his role was and never complained. One of our unsung heros who was always able and willing to step in when required. He is also the type of player we missed during the seasons of disgraceful antics between the posts. Since both left I have only came to appreciate them even more.

Heinze/Vidic - A bit early but both have made a great impression on me. They play the game the way I like and have transformed our defense. Hard, uncompromising, willing to put their bodies on the line, gamesmanship. I just cannot get enough of them.

Chadwick - Bare with me on this one. Ugly as hell but watching him jink past players with youthful exuberance was a short lived joy. It was a pleasant change from enduring a static Beckham on the wing for so long. We had high hopes for him and there were even comparisons with Best due to his dribbling. Played quite a few times and even in big European games. Pity he fell away and is now jumping around clubs in The Championship. For that brief stint in the first team he was a hero and no, I'm not scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Villains

Beckham - It seems a bit strange to regard Sharpe as a hero and Beckham a villain. I'm not too sure why that is. I guess I look back at Sharpe through rose-tinted glasses but Beckham and his various crimes are still an open wound. The image over performance, England over Man Utd, Posh over the couch, never go past a player, never hit the byline, attitude... just ******** off David. To be honest, I wish he didn't exist.

Taibi/Barthez/Carroll/Howard - I'd rather endure a lifetime of an old, fat and unfit Andy ********ing Goram than endure any of the shite you lot collectively displayed ever again. Just die.

Ferdinand - Money, urine, laziness. That is all.

Law - He might be Scottish and the original King but that goal. Utter bastard. I don't care if it didn't matter and I'm not surprised he retired. Black mark.

Silvestre - Apart from a brief spell of great play at left-back his career will be remembered by the number of stupid and costly mistakes he made. Turning down a move to Lyon was a slap in the face.

Ferguson - Keane, Ruud, Veron, 4-5-1, still no d-mid...

END

---

While doing this and thinking about Sharpe, Giggs, etc, another player came to mind. Jesper Blomqvist. I did a search to refresh the memory and came across the following video. He almost made inclusion in the hero list for that alone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFIkco8xIzM

24. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

why is that..no one should agree with my views in the world..or is cause you find my "views stupid"...that would be so cliche..
    lol
    or is it my self portrait..?

<~~~

25. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    roflmao

lmao
    wtf is a wum!?