Here is the situation for the 8th spot.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by GIO17, Sep 2, 2002.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    O.k. here it is with the playoff situation and let's hope they don't screw it up. As we all know The remaining matches the Metro have are this coming Thursday at Dallas, Next Thursday against DC, Saturday at DC and September 21st at New England.

For the Revs they have 3 Matches remaining.

9/7 DC United
    9/14 @ Dallas
    9/21 METROSTARS

For the DC Scum they have 4 Matches remaining.

9/7 @ New England
    9/12 @ METROSTARS
    9/14 METROSTARS
    9/19 Dallas

The match at Dallas is hugh and it's a must to get 3 Pts as we all know. If there is a chance to get a draw I will take it and it's still somewhat of breathing room. I agree we need three but to get a point in my opinion would be good for the time being, allow DC & the Revs to kill each other on the 7th. I think I will be supporting DC since the Revs are somewhat breathing down our necks. Of course we will be supporting our Boys on Thursday Against DC & Hoping that they kick their buts on Saturday.

I say a possible 9 to 12 pts must be earned to secure the 8th spot and move ahead to the playoffs, weather we earned it or not, we can still get it.

2. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Metros= Probably will lose to Dallas and split one of their 2 games against DC.

Revolution= Probably will defeat DC at home and lose to Dallas.

DC United= Probably lose to the Revs, split one of two vs the Metros and tie Dallas.

Under this scenario, Metros would have a 3 point advantage against the Revs going into their match in the regular season finale on September 21st.

If the Revs win that match, they would be tied with the Metros for the last playoff spot. If the tiebreaker, as I think it is, is head-to-head competition, the Metros would advance since they're 3-0 vs NE this season.

If it's goals against, Revs are -7 while the Metros are -3 as of September 2nd. Either way, it's going to be hard for them to catch the Metros no matter how poorly they play.

If the Metros players really want to do so something special on "Fan Depreciation Day", then play with some pride, play some attractive soccer, win the damn game and clinch the last playoff spot on that night to make up for all the poor home games we've had to endure all season long.

3. MartyF

MartyF New Member

Nov 27, 1998
    Who cares! Thats if we get 8th place or not. We are a likely first round victim to a hard working, spirited San Jose side anyway. I hope Im wrong! But I see little life in the Metros. Oz had a good three year run were he changed the direction of the franchise. But now we are slipping again and need a new direction. The worst thing that could happen is that we get to the second round of the playoffs and lose again. We need to start over again. Im not talking about making in- season changes(which OZ and Nick have tried in vain). For next year we need a new coach(Clive Charles,Wolfganf Sunholz even Dave Dir) and we have to re-shape the defense. The good news we have a young,talented playmaker in Andy Williams and Mathis is likely to stay atleast one more year!

4. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You have an excellent chance for 3 points in Dallas on Thursday. Dallas will be playing their THIRD game in FIVE days. They will be throwing absolutely everything they have at the Open Cup game in LA on Tuesday, and will be utterly dead on Thursday. If you can't win that one, you have no shot in the postseason.

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or they'll lay down on Tuesday and realize doing well in the playoffs is worth more then the US Open Cup.

6. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burn-Col versus Open Cup Semi

Based on Sunday's line up, I think the Burn are gearing up to win the US Open Semi Final Game

Versus the Rapids,

1. Jeffries gave 5 players their first start for the Burn this season: Edward Johnson (F), Carl Bussey (M), Jordan Stone (M), Matt Behncke (M/D), and Lee Morrison (D).

2. Percy Olivares (M) made only his 2nd start this season

3. The following Burn regulars did not see any playing time: Jason Kreis, Joselito Vaca, Oscar Pareja, Steve Morrow, Paul Broome, and Ryan Suarez. I think all of these regulars were available though Suarez and Pareja were coming off of an injury.

4. The following regulars came on as 2nd half substitutes: Antonio Martinez (54th minute), Chad Deering (61st minute), and Ronald Cerritos (65th minute)

My guess is that Jeffries was resting his regulars to put out his strongest line up on Tuesday against LA.

The Metros will either see a Burn Line up similar to the line up that was put on the field versus the Rapids or tired regulars.

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: Burn-Col versus Open Cup Semi

Fair enough.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't carae how much somebody has it in for Nick or OZ or anyone else, the purpose of the league is to make it to the post-season and have a chance to win a championship.

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Exactly. Glad to quote you in full. Maybe we'll get 3 points in these last 4 matches. I've been a fan since '96. A lot of new faces since then, but the same, old mentality that wrecked the team in '99 has re-emerged. Against an LA TEAM Metro looked like it was playing every-man-for-himself pickup soccer. Frankly, if I were on the field and had a choice between feeding Faria and trying to juke a 5th defender, I'd probably go for 5. Then I'd just scream at Clint or Diallo when I got taken to the cleaners.

It'll take a good team to beat Dallas, even given their schedule. We haven't got a team, period.

10. sdipar

sdipar New Member

Dec 30, 1999