Here is some advice for Luis Fernendez ( R)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Roy Da Silva, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Here is some advise for you.

Make Mcarthy and Almeida your striking duo!!!!

Fabiano is not as good as everyone thinks

Derlei is brutal right know ( Must be because he is a new Portuguese citizen )

Postiga well can you say Nuno Gomes Part 2 .

But if you have the quick, Slick Mcarthy alongside the Danger Man then Porto will go somewhere.

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The missing puzzle is DECO, DECO, DECO

Derlei without Deco is a different player

3. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I know you meant Victor Fernandez.
    I agree with you on the stricker position, However I think that the duo of Carlos Alberto and Diego are with a bit of seasoning going to be unstopable. they make up for the loss of Deco :)

4. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's all a matter of timing and experience. This Porto squad is be far the most talented club in Portugal on paper. Pretty soon it will begin realising it's potential. Porto haters can laugh now, but you will cry later.

5. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    A team with too many starts never works out good. But Porto's problems: No Deco and No Ricardo Carvalho (This guy is awsome. Look what he did to the Portuguese NT)

6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree, Fabiano looks like a bust but Diego will be very good.

7. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Porto's problems...

1- Lack of competitive attitude/agrassiveness, at least comparing with last year. I think this is the responsability of the coach.

2- Derlei as left winger is almost useless. He can't cross with his left foot. His goalscoring instincts are lost playing too far from the goal. I say give Cesar Peixoto a chance to do his job, instead of adapting someone who obviously doesn't feel comfortable in that position.

3- Carlos Alberto's lack of objectivity. He gets lost in his own dribbles. He gets himself surrounded by opponent players and loses the ball far too often. His shooting isn't the greatest either.

4- Quaresma's individualism. Sometimes it works out for him and for the team... but most times it doesn't. He needs to look at C. Ronaldo and try to evolve in the same way as a player.

6- Pepe. He needs to stop screwing up and making stupid fouls. But considering our alternative to him is Pedro Emanuel... we're stuck with him.

7- Ricardo Costa. He belongs in Boavista or some other 2nd rate team. (and to think we could be playing Rossato instead of him.... :rolleyes: )

8. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

Right now, Derlei is a different player because of injuries and because he's playing out of his natural position, not because of Deco.

And I stil feel more inclined to say the missing piece of the puzzle is Mourinho.

With this much talent Mourinho would build a TEAM that would walk through this league just as easily as last year's.

9. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    He has more talent in Chealsea and can't seem to do it.

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    when i read the title of this thread i felt happy cause' i thought that Porto would fire Victor to hire Luiz..well bad to worst..anyway both Fernandez suck

11. Hurley

Hurley New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Porto
    First of all his name is Victor, not Luis.

I dont think that he uses this forum, but you never know...

You only saw Almeida scoring goals against weak defenses in those U21 games. Put him against guys like Ferdinand or Campbell and he´ll do nothing. I´m not saying he´s not good, but I dont think he´s ready to be a starter in a team like Porto.

Can you explain why?

12. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    are u sure? he also scored many goals in Leiria, anyway who do u think that has more chances to score against them Postiga or Almeida?Almeida is stronger, taller, faster, powerful shot, heading skills much better etc..

13. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Agreed. If anyone's game has been affected by Deco's departure...It's Maniche I think.
    Agreed
    Mourinho would have this team in first place in the Superliga. This is a more dynamic club than last year...better IMHO too.

14. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    This team doesn't resemble last year's talent wise. Ferrera, Carvalho, and Deco were three absolutely spectacular, world-class if you will, players who are plying their trade with the biggest clubs in the world.

Say what you want about Queresma, Fabiano, Diego, and Postiga's abilities but they just aren't near that level yet. Diego is the closest, but Postiga and Queresma already failed at the highest level and thats why they are back at FC Porto.

15. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Playing for FC Porto is the highest level. We are the champions of Europe. :)

I'm not high on Postiga either but Quaresma only failed in Spain because he was not used properly.

16. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Fernandez knows whats wrong with the team, but the real problem is that he wasn´t coaching the team in the pre-season, he came to FC Porto in August 4 or 5 days later he was playing the super cup against Benfica and one week later the european super cup against Valencia.
    I think he is still knowing the players and this is terrible for us, other major problem is the lack of motivation and form in some crucial players Costinha, Maniche, Derlei and our defense, we are allowing some ridiculous goals(see Chelsea game or goals in counter attack like against PSG, Leiria, Estoril) obviously our team can´t survive only with individualities like Quaresma, Carlos Alberto and Diego, if all remember last year we had one individuality in the team and that was Carlos Alberto, the effect on the team was good because, he added some unexpected moves, some dribling, like he was an outsider in our team, everyone else knew what to do on the pitch, eventualy the same happened with Carlos Alberto.
    We need time to play as an unit, but i fear that this won´t happen in time to get us to the last 16 of CL or even Uefa...
    Only to end my post, the only one to blame is PdC, failed in hiring Del Neri, then when we had little time available he brought a coach that doesn´t knew almost nothing about Portuguese football and our players, so we had to start from 0 again, buying Postiga and selling Pedro Mendes, is proving to be a great fiasco, Luis Fabiano needs time to adapt, Pepe is making to many mistakes but will be a great player, Diego is adapting and will be also a great player, Seitaridis is already a great player, so it was a good deal by PdC, Quaresma and Carlos Alberto have to run for their places in FC Porto, or they will spend a lot of time on the bench, Raúl Meireles and Hugo Almeida deserve opportunities to play, IMO Raúl Meireles is a great player why he can´t play a single game? the same for Hugo Almeida.

17. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I agree. On paper, Porto are the best team in the Superliga, but yet they've struggled in the opening weeks. When this team actually gels, they will be awesome. I'm not sure if Fernandez is the right coach though, I was never a fan of his.

18. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

The opposition is stronger too and the EPL is much more competitive.
    But you know if he was with us this year... it would be another walk in the park. :cool: