here comes: AGUILAS USA

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by efernandez9, Nov 13, 2003.

1. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Las Águilas del América de la ciudad de México tendrán un equipo filial en la Liga Mayor de Estados Unidos (MLS) a partir del 2004 y aún está por definirse si será en San José, California, o Houston, Texas, informó este jueves el presidente del equipo Javier Pérez Teuffer.

"Casi es un hecho para el próximo año, se están estudiando los detalles, pero es una realidad. Las negociaciones las está llevando personalmente el presidente del equipo, que por cierto hoy cumple cuatro años en el cargo", dijo a la AFP Paco Reyes, portavoz del club.

"Se vale especular sobre si vamos a construír un estadio o adoptar uno en cualquiera de las dos ciudades, eso ya lo informará Javier Pérez Teuffer en una conferencia de prensa cuando estén concretados los detalles", agregó.

FROM THE NEWS WIRE with foxsports espanol, the president of club america confirms his move to invest on MLS and get a team in any of the same cities claimed by chivas USA (not chicago, but San Jose)
    feel free to translate, the whole thing and past rumors indicate the aquisition of san Jose quakes.
    that way Perez Teuffer will move ahead of his archi-rival jorge Vergara

espn just posted the news too:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=196544

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translation says that they will either have a team in San Jose or Houston NEXT SEASON 2004...

We know they've been discussing buying San Jose...but...

Does that mean Houston expansion in 04 if they are chosen?

or would it mean purchase of San Jose and move to Houston?

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    I will guess san Jose to Houston......

4. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I"m thinking the same...but you also gotta note that MLS has been talking to Rochester for 04, which led people to believe Chivas would come in 04 and they NEED Rochester so two teams can come at once, but if Houston is chosen maybe that could be an expansion team with Chivas????

2 more weeks and we'll know whats going on...

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    you just nailed: 12 teams for MLS 2004

new ones: rochester & chivas USA (san diego or Lax), no wonder they are in hurry to run tryouts and get things going.

move san Jose to Houston under new Ownership (to a latino market) - still have 2 MLS teams in california, vergara's and Galaxy

the question is: what about chicago? Leave the fire alone?

6. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally like that scenario, but San Jose has tradition (MLS Cup, another good season this year) so i don't know if MLS would want them moving?

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Uh, these clubs are going to be an organizational mess if they start in 2004...not enough time (especially to get corporate sponsers)...since its Mexican fans, walk-up crowds likely fine, but season tix? Could be hurtin' on corporate side (again)..

8. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Absolutely.

However, given that first year crowds are likely to be solid, I think the league might just get away with it. Still, if MLS has other options, they'd be stupid not to hit the phones for corporate sponsorship and season tickets with an ample amount of time.

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, how is the Bay Area not a Latino market? I know it's not LA or SD, but there is a very large, well settled Latino community with cash to burn.
    A lack of Latino's is not hurting the Earthquakes. It's probably more that they play in a REALLY crappy stadium, and picked the wrong Bay Area city to choose as their home. San Francisco has some of the most loyal fans in the world, San Jose is a big Suburb.

Plus, I don't think moving a team out of the Bay Area is a good idea. ESPECIALLY, as was mentioned, one that really has a lot of draw potential because of their roster (Landon, etc.) and a fairly good pedigree

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp San Jose was absolutely the right choice for a Bay Area MLS team. It's a testament to the market that as much as it's been f***** with throughout the years, people still show up, albeit in reduced numbers (no other city in the Bay Area would've done better in this regard). Plus, the front-office finally got off its duff in the second half of this season and started repairing the damage that was done before them... the last six regular season home games averaged +12k. Imagine what a front-office open and active for the first time in four years can do to raise attendance (just ask Kansas City)!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp But back to the point of this thread:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Don't count out Club America starting its own expansion team in MLS ala Chivas. According to this:

-G

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    not to mention the fact that they had real solid attendance in the playoffs, and the team gave those fans two great matches to boot.

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose should stay...BUT

You guys SERIOUSLY need to play in a new stadium. Getting a new, better stadium added with better front office marketing efforts will help in the long run.

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I think the goal is to renovate spartan and take control over from the college.

14. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    so its America/Houston and Rochester for 2004, Chivas/SD and Cleveland for 2005?

Does that sound right?

15. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rumor is Chivas and Rochester for 04...

Cleveland and who knows for 05/06...

club america taking over San Jose or starting own expansion team in Houston, if they go with Houston either substitute them for rochester and move rochester to 05/06 OR Houston will be 05/06...hope thats not all that confusing...

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Seems like the only leverage MLS has in all of this is in pitting Chivas USA and America USA against one another--in other words, if Garber wants Vergara to make his mind up already, all he has to do is announce that America is the new I/O of the Quakes and that will act as more of a catalyst because Chivas cannot let America get all the headlines.

Maybe they can just be "Chivas California" and work out the details later.

17. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Looks like CA is going to buy the Eathquakes and make Bam Bam prez.

19. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just threw up in my throat.

What confuses me is that I thought I heard this crap about 4 months ago, but it was the Bam Bam was hired for Chivas. . .

20. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    I heard this also months ago, with America. But this actually looks like the exact same story from months ago. :confused:

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The rumor has always been that Bam Bam would be the President of CA MLS team. I also thought that it was a old article but the date on it was today's.