Henry's Partner Up Front

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by jwaldman11, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    off topic, but maybe we should sign alpay just to piss off all of england :)

2. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Double the number of goals is not BS!

As to the # of starts Viduka had over Wiltord. To score 20 premiership goals is very respectable. To score 20 with a team behind you as crap as Leeds were last season is pretty remarkable! Henry only scored 4 more goals, off of over 80 shots.

Viduka would certainly be better than Wiltord, Kanu and even DB10 (only because of age); and we could get him for nothing! Surely that makes sense, even if he ain't Ronaldo or Raul?

Come on you Gunners!!!

3. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I do not want to burn Wiltord at the stake but I did vote for Kanu. I might be wrong but I will remember your post and I hope when Kanu plays well this year, and he will, you will come back and give him a pat on his back. And I did not just say that because I have an over under Kanu goals bet (4 in all games) with my lover.

God bless Kanu.

4. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    This is clearly a case where using your eyes as opposed to relying on stats provides the real picture. Mark Viduka is the laziest footballer i've seen in a very very long time. He has a terrible attitude and doesnt care if his team win's, draws or loses. His work-rate is abysmal and he has a tendency to (literally) do a runner if things aren't working (Just ask Celtic fans, he disapperared for 3 months or so because he didnt enjoy playing for the club). He might have god-given ability but he sure doesnt deserve it, & its criminal that anyone would suggest he play for us.

And btw he had a run of 11 goals in something like 9 games at the back end of last season, which kind of skews peoples perception of his season. Before that run he was a total waste of space.

5. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence

Hee hee hee... someone named "Arsonists" doesn't want to burn Wiltord.....

I'm not saying that I don't want Kanu to do well. I want everyone at the Arsenal to perform at the peak of their abilities at all times so they can win every game and I will congratulate everyone who contributes to their success. However, the fact that your bet calls for Kanu to score only 4 goals in all competitions this year shows that you may have a worse opinion of him than I do!

6. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    So did Van Nisteldive and look what Manure carried off!!! I'm not particularly a Viduka fan, but, he must have beaten you up at a night club or something?

With the most respect, none of the things you say matter!!! It's not like cricket where the bowling figures of someone like Botham are exaggerated by the number of tail end wickets he picked up during his career. Fat or thin, fit or a chain smoking lager lout, arsehole or angel, he still scored 20 premiership goals. How many forwards achieved that last season? I mean, it's not like he's covering the back page with his bad behaviour , like a Gazza! Look at it rationally.

1. He is a proven premiership striker and, despite your Celtic comments, he has stuck by Leeds when others haven't.

2. A loan till the end of the season means no transfer fee and other than his wages no risk. If AW can't motivate him then we just send him on his way.

3. He is exactly the type of forward we need. Physically strong, can hold the ball up, reasonable control, good shot and a ruthless predatory goal poacher. Doesn't need to be pretty just effective. We've already got plenty of pretty!

4. Would he feature in our top 10 choices if we had cash to spend? Probably not. On balance, does he have more to offer than DB10, Kanu, SW11 and the inexperienced Aliadiere? Reluctantly I would say - yes,yes, yes and yes.

5. If Viduka were available in January, Arsenal would be in a fairly strong position, because of Leeds desire to hold on to Pennant (who, from what I hear, is not looking that special up in Yorkshire, but, must be benefitting from the EPL experience). You have to admit that we have looked pretty mediocre going forward this season? A loan could be an expedient way to add something extra/different to AW's choices?

7. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely awesome. Like you said, I'm not a Viduka fan, but his loyalty is admirable. If he could offer us the same loyalty and performance as he did near the end of last season, and do it on a consistant basis, then I'll be the first to show Kanu, or anybody else for that matter, the door. However, I've said it once, and I'll say it forever, the club needs to go one matchday at a time. I think that for this point in the season, a combo of Henry/Kanu/Aliadiere would do us well. By the way, Arsonists, welcome to the Kanu Fan Club.

8. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    why didn't you say that in the first place? now i'm on the same wavelength

9. runes777

runes777 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    chicago
    Kanu is a lout,god boy.And you can take that
    lover crap and cram it,finito.He'll be kucky to
    start 4 games you jesus freak.

10. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    aww, somebody needs his nappy wappy. and just what is kucky? and how did arsonists get labeled a jesus freak? what exactly is going on with your post?

11. runes777

runes777 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    chicago
    dont worry about it jenger.and it was meant to say lucky,not kucky.

12. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    First off runes777 how many times have you said "finito" only to be standing outside church asking to buy me "coffee"

Anyway, I think I can win the bet (Kanu 4 or more goal in all competitions) only if we go deep in the Carling and FA cups as it looks like that kid Aliediere might be out there more than my fellow God fearing friend Mr. Kanu.

Do you think Wiltord will play again soon?

13. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    He won't come here. I remeber reading in an article last year that he was bitter about only being offered a trial by Arsene before he moved to Ajax.

From most of the reports I've read, (since there aren't many Leeds games on over here) Pennant has been one of the lone bright spots for Leeds thus far. I'm very interested to see what he'll be able to bring to the first team, either later this year, or next season.

14. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Based on the evidence he offered Saturday--spent the afternoon making Ashley Cole look like a great defender--he'll not be coming back.

15. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Is it just me, or did it look like Ashley was trying to make a point at Pennant's expense? It didn't look like it was enough for Ash just to get the ball, he followed on, right through Jermaine's legs, a few times!

Come on you Gunners!!!

16. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    I don't recall enough of the match now to support that statement. But probably Ashley knows Pennant's tendancies and tricks far far better than any other defender Jermaine's faced this season, simply because previous to this season they must have trained together plenty of times. When I know a guy isn't going to get around me, I mean I really know I've got his number, maybe I put a little extra meat into the tackle. Especially if my opponent is a reserve winger and I'm a starting fullback. So I could understand if Ashley was out to prove a point, especially after taking stick for his defensive capabilities.

17. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My mate andI were talking about this at the game. I think it comes down to the fact that they've trained together a lot too. After all, all things being equal, it's easier to destroy than create on a football field.

18. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Le Boss should bench Wiltord for saying what he did, and I still think Kanu is where it's at. Pennant wants to stay at Leeds, so let him. It's great that he'll have some firsthand experience with relegation, and I've never liked that whiny little tosspot anyway. His attitude leaves a LOT to be desired. I still think we're better off without him.

19. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    You won't be saying that in a year or two. Pires isn't getting any younger, and Freddie hasn't been a consistent threat. Pennant has the pace and ball skills to be the thorn in the side of just about any wingback, he just needs to get his head right.

20. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Pires is still the starter, so let's not bury him yet. And Ljungberg is getting his game back. Witness his work against Kiev and Tottenham.

So if Pennant isn't going to cut it, we shouldn't settle for him. (And I'm not saying he isn't, just that he doesn't look like it right now.) Sell him on to division 1 Leeds, and then we'll go out and buy a decent winger when we need one.

And if we sell JP in January, maybe we can get a decent strike partners for Henry. Or a valuable CB, maybe.

Besides, the more money you have to spend now, the farther it will go. The footballing economy is universally depressed, with the only team spending much money on transfers is Chelsky. Any Einstein can figure out that there is a world of difference between the 100 million pounds Man Utd. and Arsenal spent on players in the 90's and the 100 million pounds Roman Abramovich spent this summer 2003.

21. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Here's his "pat on the back." Kanu looked very good against Inter. He did a great job of holding the ball up and he looked dangerous more than a few times.

22. CA_Gooner

CA_Gooner Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Fallbrook, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Donovan for Arsenal?

I have Landon Donovan playing up front with Henry in Championship Manager and he is getting a lot of goals. Of course I am using a 4-3-3 formation with a blistering attack. Don't think Wenger will think that is a good enough reason to buy Donovan, although I think if they did he would be able to hold his own in the team after he acclimated to the environment.

23. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    in champman i am running a 4-1-3-2 with lehmann, martin albrechtsen from fc copenhagen, cole, mexes, campbell, vieira, pennant on the right, ljungberg on the left, and pires in the center of midfield, with henry attacking from the left and beattie on the right. we're unstoppable