Henry to leave Nike, join Reebok

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by wwnyc, Apr 11, 2006.

1. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1751682,00.html

"Nike star Thierry Henry has defected to rival Reebok to become the new face of the sports brand's controversial "I am what I am" campaign.The Arsenal footballer will move to Reebok from August 1 after his involvement with Nike's World Cup 2006 advertising is complete."

If this is true, I hope adidas improves the overall look of that brand - Reebok stuff (from the shoes to the advertising) looks terrible IMO...

2. backline

backline Member

May 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Yuck...

Reebok?

I can't possibly imagine him wearing their stuff.

3. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    I agree, Nike's child laborers are much more skilled. ;)

4. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    hehe..repped :D

5. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    rooney is set to carry Nike in the UK then by himself?

6. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what this does for the Stand Up, Speak Up campaign.

7. feej92

feej92 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I wonder what this portends for Henry's future in general? After all, Arsenal is one of Nike's major clients and TH at Arsenal and Nike always seemed like a perfect marketing match.

8. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    You guys are all missing the boat. Clearly this is a well-thought out move by Arsene Wenger, in which he gets Thierry Henry complete access to all things Reebok, so that he can finally figure out how to beat Bolton and defeat the boring 4-5-1 once and for all. Doesn't it make perfect sense? Sheesh, you people never watched the X Files or something?

</irony>

9. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    You think he's going to Bolton!!!:eek:

10. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Reebok? Ew. What is this controversial campaign? I hadn't heard of it...perhaps there's a reason...:(

11. sanjaya k

sanjaya k New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    chicago, us
    i think the controversy was over 50-cent, not Henry.

50's background, message, and general incoherence making him a poor example for the kids...or some such.

12. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Reebok is owned by Adidas. This is huge for them.

13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's true. Adidas are really taking the fight to nike - but the latest joga bonito campaign really buries everything adidas has done this far.

This may have to do with the WC and nothing to do with clubs as adidas have paid 200mm to block out nike from advertising in the world cup - and its not a good move to keep a player like Henry out of the advertising during the WC. I wonder what becomes of ronaldinho though.

14. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    how legit is this sorce? I would really hate for Henry to start wearing Reebok, Arsenal Henry and Nike have always been one.

15. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a BS story. It's not appeared anywhere else and Reebok is a generally weak brand. Why else would Adidas change Liverpool's brand to their own from the company they purchased?

I haven't seen any official release from Reebok and will only believe it when I see TH14 wearing those pieces of shite. Henry is one of Nike's flagship athletes - I even saw pics of him at Dick's Sporting Goods just north of Atlanta.

No mention on Reebok's corporate press page:
    http://www.reebok.com/useng/ir/press/2006/default.htm

No mention on the Adidas-Salomon corporate page:
    http://www.adidas-group.com/en/home/welcome.asp

16. mobjack

mobjack Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. I also think that the Reebok brand name will disappear altogether and Adidas will be all that's left. Besides, Reebok's shoes are terrible, I don't see why TH14 would switch to them. The money's not that good.

17. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    how do you explain these quotes then

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=D&xml=/sport/2006/04/12/sfnar312.xml

18. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. The Telegraph story all but confirms it. That pretty much blows. Any footballer who's worn a pair of Reeboks will tell you they're garbage.

I guess with Nike being so focused on Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, and Rooney, TH14 was feeling like he wasn't high enough on the totem pole.

I hope that same sentiment doesn't take foot when he's at the bargaining table with Arsenal.

19. Roscoe P Coldchain

Sep 14, 2004
    Westside St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Man that is a shame. I just hope that with him going to Reebok (Adidas) that this doesn't mean he will join a Reebok (Adidas) team (Real Madrid, isn't Adidas getting Chelsea next year?{though I doubt he joins}). I seriously doubt that he will leave but this has apparently thrown Nike for a loop. How much sway does a person's sponsorship have in what team he plays for typically in soccer? Thank ya now...Roscoe!

20. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Dennis Bergkamp?;)

21. gunner-anders

gunner-anders New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Maybe he'll wear the new G-Unit studs?

22. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you've seen what kind of season DB10 has had... :D

Reeboks are complete crap. Adidas should've dissolved the brand altogether and put Iverson, Henry, and all of their other prime athletes in their main brand.

23. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    hes been wearing them for at least 13 years
    maybe more

24. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    remeber when andre agassi switched to adidas from nike?
    there was the same sentiment - agassi was the face of nike for so many years and he just up and switched to adidas. adidas did make a huge contribution to his charity so it wasn't necessarily "all about the money". if henry wants to stand by his values and ot be associated with rappers then good for him by trying to portray a positive image.

25. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Adidas would be pretty stupid to dissolve a Reebok brand with 100+ years of tradition. Nike would love that - it would only make their marketing strangehold on basketball stronger.