Henry, Is This How He Will Be?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Metrosuccess, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Somas of Columbus

Somas of Columbus New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This may seem like trolling or whatever (even though I have followed every red bull game this year, most last year and have been to two games even though I live in DC) can you guys whine anymore? We are what? 4 games into the season and you have an extremely dominate team. You guys are just lacking finishing right now (although this is temporary). I would give this team a few more games to really mold before you start jumping on any one player. For the games I've watched Henry, yes he has been a step slower than he used to be, however he still is very dangerous and created the majority of dangerous plays during the Houston game. You guys have a killer attack and once you step it up to top gear you will be the force in this league. You guys are a lot like man city who took a couple years to really get rolling (same with Chel$ki). Now they are going to be in Champions League (most likely) and next season I expect will really press for a championship. Take it easy. Your team is built for the long run while my team (the crew) are usually a one good season out of every 10 type of team.

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You're telling New Yorkers fans not to bitch about their sports teams? You must be trolling! :D

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You're talking about a very seasoned veteran. I'd expect him to keep his own counsel on when to pass and when to shoot. BTW, Backe has said zip about Henry taking a backseat to anyone as a striker. And the whole point of getting a DeRo is so that he wouldn't have to play that creator role. If Soler and Backe believed he wasn't up to being a striker, then they should have jumped on getting a new front line guy.

Nope. This all goes back to Henry's lack of form.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it sad that I'm glad to hear this? At least we know why he played like crap against Philly.

Yes, I'm pretty concerned about this as well...also, those 2nd half subs were unusual to say the least...

5. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched the last Redbull game just to see how Henry was playing and i think the problem is there is no creative number 10 type player, someone to drop in the hole behind the striker and make something happen. You basically have Henry and Agualdo (spelling) doing the same thing and wanting to make the same runs, there's no Bergkamp type player who's going to make something happen.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dwayne De Rosario just joined the team a week ago. He's that guy. He's about as good a CAM as you can get in MLS.

7. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One of your strikers needs to be the one to create, you don't go out and buy 2 chicharito type players and play them upfront together, you need to have one of your strikers drop deep or play a different formation 4-3-3 for example. a 4-4-2 with two strikers like you have now is never going to work. My opinion anyway

8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The problem is actually the opposite as to what you're describing, Henry is doing nothing except for try to drop back and create, and Agudelo isn't a box striker either. We don't have anybody who can receive the ball near goal, take one touch and take a rip on goal (or tap it in which is all Chicarito is capable of), we have two strikers who can receive the ball near goal, then look to pass.

9. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Henry is not a creative type player or atleast he wasn't when he played in England, he was the main striker, he was there to put the ball in the net and he did, game after game after game. He may be trying to become that player or maybe he feels that he needs to become that player but that is not his game. He played his best stuff with Bergkamp and it was Bergkamp's job to drop deep and make something happen

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He came out earlier in the season and said something along the lines of "I'm not the guy who needs to score anymore, I want to make my teammates play better". His hunger for goal seems to be long gone but I was hoping he'd at least be aggressive when an obvious chance presents itself.

11. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well to me he is doing what he is doing for the team, not to get the best out of himself as a player, maybe he feels his legacy is set. He will go down as one of the best if not the best players to play in the Premier League, leading all time scorer for Arsenal and leading all time scorer for the French National team. To me it is a waste to have him play deeper, a role where you will never get the best out of him and a role that is not the best for the team as a whole

12. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salazar, you seem to have the most reason in this thread--mostly because you've watched the man play in England.

I've watched the man play in Spain which is also why I don't get what people want him to do.

Put simply, the man is injured. Add to that, he's evolved into a flank runner which is what he did at Barcelona. You can sometimes see it when he tries to run up along the left side of the field and try to slice his way to the box. MLS defenders are thuggish in comparison to La Liga defenders and thus this tactic hardly ever works here.

The only remedy for this is to hope De Rosario can finally fill that feeder role and we'll see a more effective Henry (barring any nagging injuries...).

And you know who has had a lengthier scoring drought that no one seems to be bring up besides Sounders fans--Montero.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is essentially the way we are deployed right now (variations obviously happen in the course of the game):

--------------Agudelo
    ---------Henry--------Richards
    Lindpere----De Ro------------
    ------------Taino-----Solli
    Miller---------------------
    ---------Ream-Marquez
    -----------Condoul

I don't like Henry where he is currently. I know Agudelo is young, but they either need to play on the same level plane and hope their midfield can play them through (I'm confident they can), OR they need to switch and Henry needs to be thinking only about goals. He is the one with the experience in that role.

Additionally, NO ONE was making a run into that left side corner for Lindpere. Miller was not overlapping and Henry was not doing anything at all. It REALLY hurt us against Philly.

Anyway, Henry is injured so that explains a lot. But even before that, all this talk about him being the creator? I don't like it one bit. Everyone on this team minus Condoul and Miller can find Henry and Agudelo in dangerous spots. The quality is there, but the execution is not.

14. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Sorry I don't know enough about your players but from what i have seen if you want to play both Agudelo and Henry in the same team a 4-4-3 would be best with Henry on the left side of the 3 cutting in on his right foot. I don't actually think that is his best position but atleast he has played there for Barca and i think it would work better than the 4-4-2 with those two players.
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Henry, Agudelo, [/LINEUP-4-3-3]

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that fits our personell.

You would have to rely on an 18 year old Agudelo as center forward and I'm not sure we have a CM who is capable of playing by himself in the center of the pitch.

16. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well you don't really have one in midfield, you have three, one holding (the mexican played that pos for barca) and the other two more like box to box. The formation should enable you to have more possession as you have in theory three vs two in the middle of the field.
    Your width comes from the fullbacks and Henry and whoever would play on the other side of the front three

you could also switch Agualdo and Henry so Henry would be the main striker, which is where i think he should be.
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Agudelo, Henry, 1, 1, Rafa M, 1,[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

17. BradDavis

BradDavis Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think your spot on... with the personnel we have we need to run a 4-3-3...

18. BradDavis

BradDavis Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Your making too much sense on these boards mate... lol... I've said all along we should put Henry in the middle of a 4-3-3.. play Agudelo on the right wing and Lindpere on the left or Rogers... We also have Teemu Taino as the holding mid with Rafa employed at center back free to roam up.. with our attack and the ability to hold possession most teams appear content to sit back and drop basicall the 10 field players below the ball and pray for mistakes and a chance to dink and dunk a counter over the top..

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is what do you do with De Ro and Richards in this lineup? I'm not sure they fit and they are dangerous players that we should get onto the pitch. I'm looking at this:

Agudelo-Henry-Richards
    -Linpere-Taino-Solli
    Miller-Ream-Rafa-Albright
    --------Condoul

Lots of questions though.
    1. Can Agudelo work on the left? Brings him onto his shooting foot when he cuts inside I guess...
    2. Where does De Ro go? Too talented not to be on the field. Too old to man Taino's spot by himself? Not an outside mid. Not really a forward.
    3. Put Solli up in the midfield and Albright at his spot at RB? IMO putting Albright on the field makes this team worse. Not better.
    4. Albright and Miller and not the outside backs you describe. Neither is Solli really (he's better though). We don't have those kinds of outside backs to provide width.

We could try:
    Lindpere----Henry-----Agudelo
    ------Taino/De Ro/Richards
    Miller-----Ream-Rafa------Solli

I want De Ro on the pitch in a central position. He's a gamer and that's where he has success. I don't know about putting Richards in a 3 man midfield.

20. Somas of Columbus

Jan 22, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Richard----Henry-----Agudelo
    -----Lindpere----De Ro------
    -----------Taino------------
    Miller-------------------Solli
    --------Ream-Rafa---------

21. BradDavis

BradDavis Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    thats exactly what i would do... still allow DeRo a bit more freedom to roam a bit, but something like that with either Rodgers or Richards... I'm not sold on Richards so if he sits I'm fine with that..

22. Somas of Columbus

Jan 22, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you guys kept that line-up and signed another big time player who can be used off the bench. Watch-out. Or even another striker. You guys need the top players to know that if they do not compete they can be subbed off. I just don't see Rodgers as a replacement for Henry for example.

23. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I actually like Somas' lineup quite a bit, just swap the wingers since as far as I know Dane has never played on the left.

24. Somas of Columbus

Jan 22, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It works in PES2011 ;)

25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club: