Henk Ten Cate

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by richsavare, May 29, 2008.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was happy to see Henk get his marching orders from Chelsea. This came at no suprise after the out of depth Grant got the sack.

Again I must ask when he left Ajax high and dry, why leave and go as Grant's #2? He obviously was under the illusion that Grant would win, but those odds were beyond stacked as the Israeli was proven to be incredibly under qualified for that job.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Henk did utter shite for Ajax.

2. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I could not disagree with you more. A different role of of the dice and Chelsea would have won the CL and by now you would have been posting on the Israeli forum that you've got Grant's picture pinned on your bathroom wall.

I think Ten Cate is one of the best assistant coaches around. Although I also think he's not cut out to be a gaffer at clubs other than the likes of Go Ahead Eagles, Vitesse or NAC, anyone would have had trouble at Ajax this season.

Henk ten Cate remains an interesting phenomenon. I hope he will find himself a suitable position.

3. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    I see it this way:

Van Basten & Co. in charge of Ajax 1
    Rijkaard & Ten Cate in charge of Ajax 2
    Bergkamp in charge of B1
    Blind as technical director.

:D

by the way, Maarten Stekelenburg is the trainer of Ajax B2???

4. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Disagree all you want, but here are some cold hard facts that clearly indicate Grant's lack of credentials.

He got the job in the first place as he is good frinds with the Israeli player agent Pini Zavahi who is best friends with Abramovich. I mean he does not even have his coaching badge in England that was a big issue.

His lack of tactical acumen was clear on the big matches that Chelsea lost. Go trolling to Chelsea boards or pickup a paper or football magazine for further details.

I read somewhere were he was known as "BBC", Bibs, Balls, and Cones.

Ten Cate FEKKED up bigtime at Ajax with his shite buys, and poor management in big games. To leave high and dry to work with Grant was stupid especially now, although maybe he saw the sack coming at Ajax, but in any case good riddiance.

5. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Well, that may be true about Grant, but I still think you are somewhat overly agitated, to say the least, due to Chelsea being unable to win in Europe. Again, you'd be surely posting something otherwise emotionally involved if Chelsea would have not messed up the penalties.

As to Ten Cate supposedly buying mediocre players, well that's not exactly the way it works in the Netherlands. As opposed to England in NL a coach (i.e. not a manager) is not in full charge of player purchases. Also, I might not be the tactical boy-wonder you are, but I am quite sure that Ajax would have had a troubled season even if Rinus Michels, bless him, had been raised from the dead for the occasion.

As to Ten Cate being whatever you make him out to be, I personally am quite convinced that he is especially suited for the job as assistant coach at a big club like Chelsea. I'll bet there are some people in Barcelona willing to attest to just that.

6. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What makes you think I support Chelsea? I could less about them, and their pathetic owner who shites money as we speak. I am quite happy to see a team like this not win.

I know how purchasing of players work, and the coach almost everywhere has a lot of input into these decisions.

However I do agree with your point of the man being a well thought of coach and better suited for this role, and you are right about Ajax having problems no matter who coached this season. Still most Ajax supporters have no love for this guy that is a fact.

The Ajax season was doomed after the late the summer moves of Babel and Sneijder.

7. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well then, I am glad we can put this issue to rest.

My compliments on your aversion to Chelsea.

8. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    you just pretty much answered your own question there