Help With Soccer Workouts

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Brad Parisien, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Brad Parisien

Brad Parisien New Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1 Brad Parisien, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    I've only recently started playing football again. I'm not playing competitively, but next year I'm considering joining a house league. I want to be great, and practice extremely hard, but for myself not for anyone else, just myself and my love for the sport.

I'm a fairly skinny guy, 5'10 weighing 140 pounds. However, I'm not in shape and I would like to be. I've done intense workouts and did for over a year but I unfortunately stopped due to complications with my life. The way I'm motivated now is by having football to workout on the field and at home (to better myself for the sport).

My questions are:

*What are workouts I can do from home that don't require much weights or equipment (if weights just dumb bells)

*For home workouts, what are workouts that will make me better on the field and not just overall, but with my feet as well? Like the ladder workout for example.

*What are workouts with the ball on the
    field that will make my ball handling/shooting/dribbling/passing/etc etc better

I have been searching the Internet for videos and some I will use, but I figure this would be the best source to get great information. Of course I want to learn the fancy moves like cross overs but before that I want to have good handle on the ball. I don't have much equipment. I have nike runners 5.0, soon getting the mercurials, a ball and net. As well as not much for home workouts.

As hypocritical as it may seem, I have terrible feet, and I'm working on getting them fixed (was born with bilateral club foot). Until I get surgery I can't do crazy workouts like running every morning. I have to ease into the sport and eventually go for surgery to fix it. To get my cardio right now I'm biking a lot every day because it's easier on my feet. Steven Gerrard played for Liverpool and has club foot just like I do. I will overcome it, however I can't push it right now, I can use my feet just not intensely. I decide if i play. I'll mainly be focusing on fast feet, ball control/handling, shooting, passing, and dribbling. And I will practice every single day. I tremendously want to increase these skills and will commit and do whatever it takes. Any input or insight would be helpful in whatever form. Commenting or videos, whatever it may be, any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance lads.

2. Brad Parisien

Brad Parisien New Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bump. Would really appreciate any help possible :)

3. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Rob Bucciarelli

Rob Bucciarelli New Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hi Brad, my brother and I built a free mobile app called "Soccer Fitness Gols" (Android only at this point) that helps people get fit for soccer. We have built fitness programs that help improve all areas of fitness to get you ready to play the game, regardless of your fitness level today, and none of which require any equipment.

You can check it out here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soccerfitness.gols&hl=en

We also have a blog with lots of tips for getting fit: www.soccerfitnessgols.com

Also, check out our YouTube page for lots of videos with soccer-specific exercises: https://www.youtube.com/user/SoccerFitnessInc

Hope this information is useful!

Cheers.

Rob

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's too bad this is such an under-trafficed forum. That article is terrific on a couple of levels. For one thing, my wife who has never played soccer) has been doing that T-hip rotation exercise along with the mini-band walk before and after our evening and weekend walks since we read that article (well, it took two days to find the mini-bands, and it took a bit of practice to master the first excercise). She's had arthritis in her hips since she was in her 20s, but she's been pain-free for the past month or so.

For another thing, my playing days are way behind me, but those warm up exercises (once I re-developed the balance to do them) are incredibly helpful.