Help! Visiting Colorado (Aspen) Need to Find a Soccer Pub

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Finnegan, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Hey Colorado footy fans,

Sorry if this is not specifically Rapids related but I didn't know where else to turn. I am going to be in Aspen, CO from the 9th - 17th of December and I am looking for a place to watch the Arsenal vs Chelsea game on Sunday the 12th.

It is on at 11:00 a.m. on DirectTV PPV. Of course I will not be able to watch this from my condo so I was wondering if anyone had any leads on Footy friendly pubs in the Aspen area?

Thanks in advance!

2. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    My best guess: there's a sports bar on the corner of the pedestrian mall right by the park in the middle of downtown. I forget the name, but it's in the basement! It's the only place I could imagine showing it, everywhere else is too snooty.

PS
    If you want to check out a good restaurant, visit Blue Maize. Quality and low-key cool.

3. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Thanks man. I know it is a long shot...for the record I don't have the coin to be paying me way in Aspen - I am getting put up by work for a week which is very cool.

4. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    then those are probably the 2 places in town you can afford! I know because I was in the same situation.

5. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    McStorlies? That's an irish pub...would probably have the game on if they show soccer at all.

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    One of the good things about Aspen is the crowd (both locals and tourists) has a significant enough collection of internationals about that it's usually easy to find the games on TV -- especially big ones.

Call Zo's at 970.925.2233 (number may have changed, but that's what I've got in my Palm). They're right in the middle of town on Hyman and if they're not showing it, they should be able to direct you to a place that is. They were showing games 2 years ago on Sunday mornings.

As usual be police and expect that the person answering the phone won't know anything about soccer games on TV. :)

7. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    I would advise you don't be police. They're a shady bunch

8. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I don't know about Aspen. Don't they drive Saabs in Aspen?
    [​IMG]

NOTE - this is an actual photo taken from the Aspen Police Website. Where the fcvk am I going?

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    To be fair, it's quite understandable that the Aspen police drive Saabs. The town gets 250+ inches of snow every winter; the particular models they drive are all-wheel drive and among the best vehicles on the planet for winter driving. And in summertime, they need something speedy enough to catch up with all of the Ferraris and Porsches that go zooming down 82. (seriously)

That said, Aspen is a very bizarre place. Just go there expecting the worst in capitalist excess, don't hestiate to laugh at all of the "locals" in their furs and crazy outfits, drink like a fish, maybe drop out a bit, and pretend like you're in Wonderland. Go with that attitude and Aspen can be incredibly fun. And late at night, the bar scene does kick ass no matter who you are and how you dress.