help... questions re: moving and living abroad

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by hala-cosmos, Aug 1, 2005.

1. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    It's really just an inkling of a thought at this point, but i've been kicking around the idea of pulling up shop and moving over to the old country, at least for a spell, since experiencing a new culture couldn't really hurt.

I've been around europe a few times while i was in school, so im not completely blind to the cultural and economic differences across the pond. I am, however, generally clueless about european and american laws re: immigration, work permits, and so on. I need to get a bigger feel for the who, what, when, where, etc. Any personal stories/advice/knowledge would be great.

While this is not my only source, i def. figured BS would be a decent place to gain some info, since i've noticed a few americans abroad posting on these boards.

any help would be really appreciated, I'll throw you some rep. if you're in to that.

thanks.

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Do you want to work or study?

I think its easier to go and study than to work imo.

Without trying to put most Americans down, the whole situation is fairly difficult at the minute. I can only tell you from my own experiences as a TEFL teacher.

Basically when I went to work in France, it was a case of having a passport, and identidy card and that was it basically. As an EU citizen I had no problems working given the flexible laws that citizens of the EU have. For the few Americans in Paris, alot of them told me they had difficulties trying to obtain work permits and the such; but for some it was quite easy.

Here's what it gets kind of strange however. One of American aquaintances who had worked in the Czech Republic - told how that in the past few years he found it more difficult when they joined the EU. Before the EU, he could get a WP with no problems, but when after they joined it became far more difficult. One of the main reasons was the influx of EU citziens like myself, who could come to the country and live for 6 months without any official capacity by the forces that be...

Basically Americans were on equal par with everyone else were now behind a whole heap of people...

So what I would ask is;

* What do you want to?

* Where do you want to go?

Some countries are easier for American citizens, some are not... But then again for certain jobs, you can mostly walk straight into them if you are American...

The best bets are the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, UK and France; who are for the most part have an open system - and one which has a fairly advanced econmy and is used to dealing with immigrants from the US.

I can't say anything about other EU countries and their systems...

But one thing you have to remember is that are is no clear law across the state of the Europe. One thing that takes 3 minutes in Spain, may take 3 weeks in France or even 3 months in Italy...

If you get yourself a job with a company before you go, chances are they will sort a WP for you... The worse thing you can do is go to wherever you want to go and just think that you can wonder around for a few months and look for a job there.

If I had a few tips then I would say...

Plan ahead and know what you are letting yourself for...

Adapt, learn and develop a thick skin.

Master all that - then you will be about 1% ahead of the game... ;)

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    When I moved there, I had no trouble at all finding a job. I had a few offers, and the one I took paid me under the table and didn't care that I wasn't "legal." I've heard from an English friend of mine who married a Czech woman and stayed there that, as you note, it has gotten a LOT harder for Americans over there.

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Interesting. I wouldn't personally go down that route. I don't like the idea of working as an illegal immigrant - as stupid as that sounds for a British person abroad...

Some countries may actually deport you on the spot and may restrict you from going back...

Not a wise move by all accounts, unless you were very desperate to find work.

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Where in the hell is Sarabella?

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask anything you want. I've been overseas for almost four years now, never have regretted the move, and it's been pretty successful for me.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I don't think it was the ethical thing for me to have done, but it was incredibly common among Americans. (I had planned on getting legal, but I was told that it was a lot of hassle and that no one really cared; this has since changed.) The Czechs didn't mind--Americans provided good services and lots of money for the economy. The Czechs reserved their scorn for Ukranians and Roma.

8. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    I was hoping to go and work since I'm recently out of college and, honestly, pretty damn sick of school. However, a friend of mine started out studying abroad in Denmark and was offered a job shortly thereafter, so my options are still open.

I'm pretty sure immigrating illegally wouldn't be the best course at this point.

I figure having a college degree from an american school couldn't really hurt my chances of getting a decent job, since european friends of mine from college seem to have some firms tripping over themselves to hire them.

9. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Here!

I can oly speak for Holland, since each country has its own immigration laws. I've just moved to Amsterdam a month ago. I was studying but finished my school and am looking for work. Here's what I know:

In Holland, it's very tough for anyone outside of the EU to work here. First, you have to "register" with immigration to let them know you're here. Then, you have to apply for a resident's permit. That will set you back about $500. But you're still not legal to work -- that requires a work permit. From what I understand, only the company that hires you can apply for it.

Actually finding a company to hire you is the toughest part. In Holland, there are three steps to getting someone to hire you. First, they have to post the ad for at least six weeks. Second, no Dutch person can be suitable for the job. Third, no EU person can be suitable for the job. If none of those three things happen, they can hire you.

Easy, right?? :D

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm constantly trying to get my wife to apply for a job in Australia or New Zealand. She's a graphic designer/news designer that has experience with some design software that originated in Australia and is rarely used outside of OZ/NZ, but she worked in the US at a place that used it. While I'd rather live in Europe, those are probably are best bets for securing a work permit.

11. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    yeah, ive done some research on it and found that, as americans, us getting a job in the EU is extraordinarialy difficult. you have to posess a special skill, already have a company to sponsor you BEFORE you move, or work illegally.

of course, there is also the option of marrying for citizenship, but thats a pretty drastic step.

you could move to canada and work there fairly easially (much moreso than any EU country), and citizenship is easy to get there, too, but, its not the EU, and having that citizenship doesnt help you out anymore than it does being an american (if you want to get to europe).

im sure you could go work in senegal, venezualia, or pakistan, if you wanted, though. :D

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, there are worse places you could settle than here in Australia. Much worse places, really. :)

Has she looked into the Melbourne marketplace for work? The IT field here, while the boom may have already happened, one can make more than a decent living here.

13. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003

as a coworker of mine from pakistan once said:

"India is beautiful, a nice place to visit...

Pakistan is a nice place to get killed"

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Hmmm. What do you want to do anyway? Certain jobs are easy to obtain, some not so....

Your best bets are going to the far-east imo. You could always go to Europe, but as I've said, unless you are an EU passport holder its going to get mighty difficult. The problem is, you aren't going to be the only person working abroad, so you to ask yourself this question.

A British guy shows up with a University education wants to apply for the job.
    And then you show up with your Uni education wanting it too.

Is the man in the seat going to employ a guy, knowing he can sign one form and that's it - or does he employ the guy who has to get a WP, residency permit and various other bureaucratic forms...?

Unless you are a true standout, then you will find it often frustrating...

The main problem that most of my American friends encountered after the EU expansion; was that they were being put back to the queue behind people with EU documentation.

A few years ago, most Americans could have waltzed into a job in Mainland Europe.. But with the expansion of the EU and rising unemployment in some countries - it's getting difficult.

As I've said before a lot of people I know have gone to the Far-East where there are jobs opening up and people are wanting people to work for them. And when you go there, you are in the same boat as everyone else with regards to WP's and the like...

But again, it's up to you what you do...

15. Dominique Rocheteau

Dominique Rocheteau New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Canada
    that is funny.

I decided to visit Ukraine for a while because I'm a recovering alcoholic and I wanted to go to a place where people don't drink very much.

16. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You should have gone to Sweden

On topic, take a look at www.expatica.com , there you'll find some infos...

17. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    thats geared towards folks from the UK.

hes american, he wants to work in europe.

hes ********ed.

i think its odd, that, as americans, we are the most limited citizens (at least, speaking of developed nations) when it comes to moving to/working in other developed countries. europeans have it pretty easy in that regard.

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm moving to Leicester, England because I got accepted into the Master's of Sports History program at De Montfort University.

Basically, it hasn't been too difficult for me, yet. I sent in my entry permit application to the British High Commission last week, but I can't imagine any problems. They wanted to see that I could support myself while in England and that I had been accepted into the program. I can also work up to 20-hours a week without a work permit because I am an international student.

Hopefully after I am done, I will be able to find some sort of job in England, but I am not going to hold my breath.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They hate our freedoms! ;) :D :p :rolleyes:

20. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    yeah, thats pretty much the conclusion i've made after doing my research this week.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    folks, it all depends on what kind of work he wants to do - as a journalist, i have zero problems, but most people will

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the best news I've heard in a long time. My wife is a page designer, got any hook ups?

23. Dominique Rocheteau

Dominique Rocheteau New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Canada
    What's that like?

24. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait wait wait...a Masters program in Sports History?? Damn, I picked the wrong major... :D

25. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A little more info on the program
    http://www.dmu.ac.uk/faculties/humanities/pg/ma/shc05.jsp

It should be an interesting program. Not sure what to expect, but I am really looking forward to the challenge.