Help me out here...

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by laurent garnier, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I can't at the moment because while my body is currently in Taiwan, most of my belongings are somewhere on the Pacific Ocean (hopefully avoiding Typhoon Rusa on the way) so I can't watch the tape and cite them at the moment.

2. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    You are joking, right?

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    What world are YOU talking about, because it certainly isn't THIS one!

4. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    It is good to dream that Korea will win the World Cup in the near future, however, it will be nice to see how Korea does on neutral turf before making those kinds of predictions.

I truly hope this helps soccer in Korea. With the success of countries like Turkey, South Korea, Senegal, and the United States in this tournament, it does bode well for the breaking of the dual continent dominance of South America and Europe.

5. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    what are you trying to say? i dont understsand. even most of bigsoccer members saw that korea fairly deserved to beat italy (although spain game is a different case)

6. laurent garnier

laurent garnier New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Singapore
    Quite amazing how the thread has SOMEHOW, still managed to stick within the realms of football. I could almost smell gunpowder while sitting here and its quite hilarious how a Korea v Rest of the World death match have mysteriously evolved.

I don't want a slamming crusade against anyone but seriously, if I was a Korean, I will be very concerned that my national team players are still dangling in the local league and not playing in top European pastures.

I would most certainly not offer 'excuses' [no offence to anyone involved] that the Korean league is better and Anderlect is a kick ass squad.

There are serious questions to be answered and the passionate fans are left helpless, but more importantly, the Korean players who are still staying home while they watch their Japanese and Chinese counterparts succeed in Europe.

I don't completely believe there is no football market to be harnessed in Korea. Look at China, why are people all around the world still so enthusiastic about selling products to a country full of people who can hardly feed themselves?

LOVE FOR THE GAME I think.

I gave it some thought, based on an earlier post about how baseball is king in Korea, and I decided that Europeans know Korea are not interested in football, why bother?

AMEN

7. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    hmmmm i smell that laurent is slowly revealing himself. In the beginning, I thought it was from pure interest... but now, his motives are clear. he wants to put down korea.

You have succeeded in ignoring allll the posts that my fellow Koreans have put on.
    Koreans not going to Europe has almost nothing to do with the European clubs wanting Korean players or not. It has to do with the willingness of Korean clubs to let their player go.

8. laurent garnier

Aug 22, 2002
    Singapore
    If I have to say it, I will. I am NOT putting anybody down and if I want to, believe me, people will get the point.

9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    my Laurent Garnier=smokingman theory (note its still a theory)

1. He gets a brigh idea, and signs up for two ID's. Laurent Garnier and Smokingman in the same day.
    2. He acts all civil and starts a thread asking a question. He starts two. One in the world rivalries and one in Asia forum.
    3. Then he switches to smokingman and infuriates Korean people and trolls hard. He probably thought world rivalries form will naturally turn into Korea bashing thread

But he was wrong!! he didn't realize that people were already tired of Korea bashing.

some things to note on...

-if he really wanted to just ask a question, why did he start it on a World Rivalries Forum?
    -this is his quote from world rivalries
    "...and how great their players really are. If the players are so darn fantastic, help me answer a few questions."
    doesn't this sound too sarcastic?

i may be wrong, but i may certainly be right. My second part of the theory is, maybe this guy is also Kambiz.

10. laurent garnier

Aug 22, 2002
    Singapore
    Smokeyman, wipe that smile away. I am pissing myself laughing here.

If fate has it, we might sit down for a coffee someday and laugh over this debacle!

*holds head in disbelief*

11. another thread with fun

12. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Outside a few top teams, I don't think the European players are significantly better than their Asian counterparts. But the European teams are usually more tactically sound. So don't be too shocked that the Asian players are doing well.

13. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    maybe you only stayed in china too long.
    you should check what other worlds said about their performance, like Germany, France, England, Belgium, Dutch, not Spain, Italy or Portugal.

14. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Well, do you think China will win it??? Don't make me laugh.

15. laurent garnier

Aug 22, 2002
    Singapore
    Let's just try and get four [or even five if possible] Asian teams consistently into the second round before anyone starts talking of winning anything.

Korea needs everyone to do well in order to improve. The co-hosts were able to get so many high profile friendlies in the run-up to the Finals because everyone from Europe wanted to climatise in Asia. It won't be the same score the next time round in Germany.

When everyone improve aka Iran, Saudi, UAE, China, Japan, then will Korea rise even higher. Events like the Asian Games in Busan will give some indications to where we are going, and the Asian Cup in China will definitely show the improvement made since the Asian World Cup.

No point fighting pointlessly who is better. Let's move on together.

16. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    oh my god. You didn't even bother to read any of our posts.

The reason why the Korean players are not at Europe is not because they are not good enough, but because there are other reasons. (like the clubs not letting them go etc.)

I have a question. Why did you bother to start a question "Help me out here.." when you were gonna keep on disagreeing and ignoring the resonses at the first place?

Since we "HELPED" you out, you shouldn't have any questions. Instead, you should by now know that the Korean players themselves are definately good enough to play at top notch EU clubs.

Still don't think so? I thought so. You weren't gonna admit it at the first place. Instead, you were just trying to troll.

17. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Ludahai, the reason why many Koreans on this particular board are saying "Korea is the best. Period" is because they've been all now fed up with other morons on this board putting down everything Korea has done. So basically people who were used to the environment of the rivalry board are using the same attitude in the Asia board here too.

Before anybody here criticizes why so many Koreans say such "stupid" things, you might wanna see threads made by Americans saying "MLS is the best league in the world" etc.

I wonder why I couldn't see any of you guys jumping on that.

Plus, saying "Koreans are like this and that" just by what you see in the bigsoccer.com in itself sounds pretty stupid to me.

18. laurent garnier

Aug 22, 2002
    Singapore
    Dear Korean Football,

I did recognise and appreciatED your kind revealations. While clearly agreeing with you that Korean players deserve to go to Europe, I don't quite catch what u meant when you said I am disagreeing and ignoring the responses.

I took note of the baseball fact, about how Korean clubs have prevented the players from moving and went on with the discussion.

I think I need a Korean flag, wave it and run round the house like a mad cow before AND after each post, just so that maybe you will realise I am not in anyway in any sort of enemy camp.

You are such a sad sod. You really are. Just because you lacked love as a child doesn't mean you can vent in such manner.

No class...

19. latru

latru New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    NY.
    Coming from a third party, it looks like this post was created to troll on koreans. Although you may have done it in an articulate manner compared to previous morons, the fans here saw through your facade and they still responded with the info you "seeked". Yet you continue to try to get under their skin. Why? Do you really have nothing else better to do?

20. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    thank you for understanding my point.

21. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    If I am a Korean fan, I would say Korea is the best in Asia. Yes, the semifinal spot is kind of a luck, but Korean team definately deserve the quaterfinal spot with a well-deserved victory over Italy. Historically speaking, they can use North Korea's quaterfinal spot as a reference. So until China, Japan or Iran can overachieve this, you have to admit Korea is the best in Asia--result wise.

Then for why they are not so many Korean players in Europe, then I can give some reasons:

1)Korea just begin to produce some good young players. Like Song, Lee, Park, Cha are young and just showing their games. If they are excused out of two years mandatory military duty, they will be working their way into the Europe. In comparision, Japanese players were in this same point when Japan U-20 had a good show. That's the time when Ono, Inamota, etc. went Europe. Alex, as a Brazilian-born, probably has a better reputation in European team. In China, only Qu Bo is in the same mode. Li Tie and Sun Ji Hai are established players for couple of years. Sun was playing in Div 1 for a while, so he was in same situation as other players.

2) Korea just had their first foreign coach who would bring some knowledges of Korean players into Europe.

3) If Korea can improve the level of K-League, so they can stop these inferior towards European league. You don't have to play in Europe to be a good player. Look at Mexican team, most of them playing in the home, but they have no problem to compete with any team in the world.

An interesting story about US star Landon Donovan. He refused to go back to Leverkusen. He probably get dozens of big clubs inquires him from any big leagues, but he said no. You don't have to prove yourself in the European league. As long as you can beat them in World Cups, then you will be fine.

22. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I didn't even mention China in that post!

23. latru

latru New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    NY.
    I don't want to stray off-topic but I don't agree with you on this point. Donovan had a real solid WC but he has to move to Europe to hone his skills. The only way to develop is to play against players that are better than you and he isn't going to see that in the MLS. He needs to add more to his offensive arsenal and European move is the only thing that can do this.

The star players in the MLS, K-league and J-league are capable of holding their own against European stars but in order to get better they have to move to Europe, no if's and's or but's about it.

24. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Amen brother!

Although there are other appeals of going to Europe like the great soccer atmosphere there, fame, money, hos, and clothes, etc.

25. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    AMEN.

although I do get Shaster's point. Nurturing the domestic league is just as important.