Help me fall in love with Oranje

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by El Steve, May 29, 2008.

1. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    El Stevo is our good luck charm!! :D

2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We also never lost to Italy in regulation time in any tournament

We beat them in 1978 2-0
    We tied 0-0 in 2000
    And 3-0 yesterday

3. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I was out last night celebrating the birthday and, still pumped up about getting the Oranje jersey, I had to wear it out.

Realizing this, I knew, by the end of the night I had to try a Dutch beer... the only thing I saw at the three (I think?) bars I stopped in at was Amstel Light... nothing against Amstel, but I was really looking forward to having a go at a few of the more obscure names I hadn't given a try to.

I settled on the Amstel. It was solid, I won't lie. I just wanted to drink something that gave everyone a WTF face?

Also I wore the damn shirt on Monday when going to Barnes and Noble, yet again wearing the shirt, to try and order Brilliant Orange.

Woman looks at me after I ask her to look it up, and goes, "Is it about soccer?"

I look at her, "...what would ever give you that impression?" Certainly not the orange jersey I've been holding onto like an infant clutches their blanket.

If they come out Friday playing the same positive soccer, closing down and pressing like they did against Italy, the result doesn't matter... it's just so freaking great to watch.

When I say the result doesn't matter, it's not like I don't want the Dutch to win... it's just that there's ever anything to be ashamed of in watching your team play in such a way.

I've seen some teams lie, cheat, and steal a win in the worst, most negative ways... just such a blight on the game.

That'd be a change in direction. I'm used to my teams going through angst and disappointment :)

4. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    my experience with Dutch beer in N america is that it's watered down, the same brand of beer you drink in Nederland is more potent, smaller glass in the pub but it does the damage...a US Amstel Light is like having sex on the beach(F**'in near water)

and I agree on Oranje's style, I'd rather see them play the game beautifully and lose than play like Greece and win the Euro...

5. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah. Being a VanGilder, my family can be traced back to...well...it's kind of obvious.

Always been an Oranje supporter of course and cheered on the Oranje with some wayward Nederlanders in Nairobi during the 1998 world cup.

It's my birthday today and I'm out to hunt around for a Jersey for my birthday gift too!

6. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    check out VAN BASTEN.

7. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that watching the game from the start... he was holding his whistle during a lot of the over-the-top antics... he didn't give Sneijder the benefit of the doubt a couple times that he tried to make a meal of a tussle.

I was very impressed with his style until all the things that happened after the first goal... but, after we all found out that it was called correctly in a rule that tons of people (professionals included) don't know... it really could be considered one of the best refereeing performances I've seen.

Not saying it's the BEST or he was perfect... but he really let play, and not strategic attempts at buying free kicks, decide the game. This crushed an older, slower, cagier Italian side.

So, when I say that their dives weren't called hurt them... it is an insult, but it's more based on fact than pure disdain.

I like to try a lot of beers... the selection in most bars isn't exactly thrilling, but, beggars can't be choosers :eek:

I was at a wedding today and cutting up on how bad all of my friends dressed... they started getting on me about going out in orange soccer jerseys.

I felt no shame.

Join the club... wear the orange... at the very worst, people will notice you :cool:

8. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You're a very understanding man, Johan. Why they didn't give you the Australian job I'll never know.

9. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm starting to like this Steve guy :D :cool:

10. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, El Steve's a jongen van de Wit.

11. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ever have one of those moments where you think somebody's making fun of you but you're not sure?

12. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's generally not the way it works with these guys. They're usually pretty obvious about it when they make fun of people.

13. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Snob

(that was obvious wasn't it?)

14. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ever have one of those moments where you think somebody's making fun of you but you're not sure?

15. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You ever have one of those moments where you think somebody's having fun but you're not sure why?

16. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    I'm so confused!

17. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moments ever have one of those where you think sure somebody's having fun but you're not why you?

18. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not at all, at least I wasnt

But FC Grunn you have to watch out for, he's been known to spike drinks with roofies, and then he likes to fondle people

19. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, but mind your grammar though.

20. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ever have one of those fun moments where a moment momentarily gains momentum until you feel a notion that all of the motion is going to create an unnecessary commotion?

21. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, don't you just love it when that happens!?

22. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

23. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    or rather:

[​IMG]

24. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yousa be constructin' confusin' sentencesa? Mesa can't believe it.

25. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was posting a picture of Paul_NL. Why did you have to bring Jar-Jar Binks into this?