Help me fall in love with Oranje

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by El Steve, May 29, 2008.

1. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    I've bought all my Oranje jerseys on eBay, and a couple have turned out to be fakes, so that's what you have to watch for.

What I've found each time (fake or not) is that the jersey is so sweet that it would have been well worth it to buy them new from a catalog.

So that's why once I see what numbers the players are wearing today, I'm probably going to order a new Sneijder (I assume he'll be wearing the 10 shirt) since Robben may not play at all.

2. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've ordered from e-bay before... both have been fakes, and I'm this one might be too... but it looked slightly higher quality than the others, so who knows.

Actually got in touch with him and he gave me the shipping number... sent 6 days ago, so... maybe I'll get it just in time today. Getting close.

3. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Holland is not interchangeble with the Netherlands and never has been.

The ungovernable United Provinces of the Netherlands fell in 1795 and the Batavian Republic was formed by the Patriots with French help. The country became a de facto vassal of France. In 1805 French Emperor Napoleon intervened and installed Rutger Jan Schimmelpenninck as Grand Pensionary in an effort to increase his influence. This didn't quite turn out as he imagined so in 1806 he decided to make a kingdom out the republic and put his brother Louis on the throne.
    Napoleon personally named the country Royaume de Hollande
    He probably didn't even realise he made a dumb mistake, he was busy crowning himself King of Italy that week. His brother turned out to be a bit too independant and so Napoleon deposed him and annexed the country in 1810. The Netherlands thus became a integral part of France until 1813, when Napoleon was deposed.

To conclude: the only reason why for 3 years the entire Netherlands was called Holland was because of the whim of a French emperor. Using this as an argument to call the country Holland you might as well rename the country 'France 2'.

I have never called the country Holland, and never will. I am not offended if somebody who doesn't know better does. It does annoy me though.

4. El Cid

El Cid Member

Jul 4, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for the record, I've got El Steve, myself and a few others as being supportive before the Italy whipping.

It will be interesting to see who jumps on the bandwagon now:rolleyes:

Will the fashionable types trade in their "Italia 90" front zipper sweat shirts for comparable NL merchandise?

5. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    naturally...

i'd have to say, for my first half of supporting the dutch... it's like, everything came together at a perfect time. by about the 10th minute, i was loving everything.

i love how the attacking midfielders are always closing down hard... especially van der vaart

i love how high up van brockhorst comes up to help in attacking (more on this later)

i love that the italians got shafted on a call... i dont know how the ruling works there, but if the ref was allowing that to be onside because of the italian player over embellishing an injury... kudos, the irony is sweet

i love how the second goal came together...

a) i love that van brockhorst was there to clear the ball off of the line and ended up making a run into space that lead to the chance

b) i love how he picked out kuyt far post

c) i loved how well sneijder finished the play... great effort

and... since everything's about to start back up, i'll just say that i love the fact that the netherlands jersey i had been getting worried about came in the mail literally less than five minutes after sneijder scored

lots of love in lower burrell, pennsylvania right now

6. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    van brockhorst had such a great attacking game for a full back... or anyone, really. this was great.

dont know if i'll be able to catch the game on friday, but i'm really going to try.

7. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you didn't enjoy watching Oranje's performance today you either have no soul or are an Italian fan. :D

8. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure you time your second order just as well. ;)

9. El Cid

El Cid Member

Jul 4, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think the practice gear is a better buy.

Did you order from an internet site or World SoccerShop?

10. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
    Dear Steve,

From now on you're labeled as 'lucky charm' for Holland. Make sure you watch every match.

sincerely,

Black Label

11. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So many reasons to love Oranje right now. This is one of the "biggest" ones...

[​IMG]

That is quality. :D

12. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    That is great.

13. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is she single ???? :p

14. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I think she's checking you out Amstel...

15. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I saw her 1st. She's mine. I'd love to stalk her. ;)

16. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ahhhhhh Oranje is just so amazing...:D

[​IMG]

17. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You goddamn Stalker, you will leave her alone right now!!! :D

18. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    which is it, HUP Holland HUP or Hup Nederland Hup??? was I mistaken that at todays match I heard the the chant "HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND"!!! I suppose those were the Italian fans paying tribute to Oranje...

Holland/Nederland, Holland is a synecdoche, a word denoting a part of something is used to refer to the whole thing or the reverse....America=United States of America

19. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    players who leave the field of play are still considered in play, leaving the pitch without permission also can result in a card in this case the player was knocked out by his own keeper so no foul...the rule is there to prevent players going out of play(and feigning injury)to create offside situations, if the player is deemed to be faking injury he can also be carded...only time the player is not in play is if the ref orders him off for treatment...so the player is considered to be on the nearest touch/goal line ref was correct there were two men between Ruud and the goal when the pass was made...

it balanced out regardless, Buffon got away with tripping up Ruud when it should have been a PK...

20. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    *sigh*

She's not the only one anyways :D

21. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah... didn't know the rule until heard later... then it became obvious...

so, it's even better that he was acting like he died and, in the end, keeping rvn onside for the goal. double infamy:)

really, the swede ref not calling every flip and pirouette hurt italy a lot.

22. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    It absolutely did because that's so much of Italy's game. It was apparent early on that they were expecting all their usual touch fouls to be called so they could score a goal and sit on the 1-0 lead for the remainder like usual. But the ref wasn't a fool, and for the first time in all the games I've watched Italy play they weren't getting all their dives taken seriously.

The Netherlands thoroughly outplayed them from start to finish.

23. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    it's okay for most of us not to know the rule because it's called so rarely but for the experts on TV not to know is embarrassing and for the many pros wearing blue yesterday is really shocking...Craig Forrest ex keeper for West ham the commentator on TSN was unaware of the rule, of all people a keeper, he should have known...the Italian backline pushing up to catch Ruud in a offside position backfired as Pannuci was always going to keep Ruud onside(Del Pierro admitted he knew it was onside).......an excellent call by the ref...

24. Yeah, a lot of people caught with egg on their face:D
    This is an off side rule no one will forget ever, who watched this game at least. That must be almost the entire planet:D
    By the way, i posted it in another thread already, but hey, this is fun repeating.. We never were beaten by a reigning world champion, beginning with England in 1970. The saga continues...

25. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Yeah well check this out El_Stevo... We didn't start looking this sexy before yesterday, although we started getting a clue about 3 weeks ago or so.

So you're quite right in stating that it's like everything came together at the right time :D

We'll have to wait until friday before we know if this is a persistant condition.