Help me fall in love with Oranje

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by El Steve, May 29, 2008.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Of course! Our beer sucks compared to theirs. But they get all their mussels from us, at least.

2. DonMancini

DonMancini New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Montreal
    Sorry if this is going to seem like an irrelevant unimportant question, but I'm curious and did not know where to ask:

Do you guys prefer to be referred to as Holland or the Netherlands? Is there a difference between both names in terms of what they refer to?

3. jasperb

jasperb Member

Dec 30, 2006
    netherlands
    There's a number of fine breweries in this country, you just haven't heard of them because you equate beer with commercial pilsner.

DonMancini, Holland is an area now comprising of two provinces, north- and south holland, which has historically been the center of trade and wealth in the netherlands since long before the creation of the nation state. The two names have always been interchangable, even here.

4. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Its a good question, and I wish the govt would change our name to Holland
    and leave it at that.
    No more Netherlands and/or Holland, it confuses the hell out of people around
    the world.
    You wont believe how many people think Holland & Netherlands are 2 different countries.

For the record and to simplify things, they are both the same. When you send a letter you can put either on the envelope, it wont matter either way, the letter will arrive.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Holland is fine but only in football/sports matters. Officially the name Holland refers only to two provinces: North and South Holland, which in turn only represent about a quarter of the country. The official name is The Netherlands. When you ask a Dutch person where they're from, always ask 'are you from the Netherlands'. If you ask 'are you from Holland' quite a few of us will be rather offended.

6. DonMancini

DonMancini New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Montreal
    Great, thanks for the informative replies :)

P.S. Cheese from Alkmaar is aweesome.

7. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes but when it comes to international football the 2 names are the same, they both represent the same country.

Thats why I'd like to see the name changed to Holland or Netherlands permanently, so it quits confusing people. Like it did to Mancini.

So what if it offends a few people, they'll get over it.

8. Nickless

Nickless New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    El Steve, in your posts I see that you're not only interested in the team of Holland, but also in Holland's coaching/training skills. For this I would recommend you to check the site of Coerver Coaching: http://www.coerver.com/. This coaching technique has been developed by the Dutch coach Wiel Coerver (Trained; SVN, Roda JC, Sparta Rotterdam, NEC, Feyenoord Rotterdam, Indonesia, and Go Ahead Eagles) and is all about technique. He developed this new way of coaching/training with analysing videotapes of various players like Pele and so on. This method at the moment is one of the best methods in order to learn the football basics. It can not only help people who never played football, but also professional players (Ryan Babel improved his skill a lot with this method when he was 19 years old). Thus, when looking for other Dutch export products in the name of football, you should have a look for this Coerver-Method.

9. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading (yes, I'll admit, it was on Wikipedia:eek:) that the Dutch really don't care and take it with a grain of salt sometimes, even calling the nation Holland as well when referring to the Oranje.

I've been trying to avoid saying Holland in this thread, knowing that, but I'm sure I've screwed up once or twice.

This is great. I haven't clicked the link yet, but it's along the lines of the things I'm looking for. Thank you very much.

Do you know any more detail about it? Or is it just one of those long, painful, protracted things?

10. feyenoord_for_life

feyenoord_for_life New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    and this helps mathijsen how?;)

11. Nickless

Nickless New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Can you imagine how bad he would be without these trainings ;)

Btw, without joking, I think mathijsen isn't that bad at all. He plays quite well in the Bundesliga, where he managed to defend Toni very well. I think that the defenders of Holland are actually underrated in perspective of other countries defences. Off course, you have a point when stating that the Holland's defence isn't world class, but many Dutch people (And that should be an argument not falling in love with Holland/Oranje) tend to overcritisize their own player, especially the defenders.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I watched a number of Hamburg matches this past year because of Van der Vaart and would agree with this assessment. Joris had a pretty good season and Hamburg had one of the best defensive records in the Bundesliga.

13. feyenoord_for_life

feyenoord_for_life New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    I think its more of a running joke. I know hes a quality defencemen. Having said, the last say 4 friendlies ive seen him lose his man in the box which has led to near goals. Im just a little scared one of those mistakes may result in a goal against.

I agree that people also generally underestimate our defence. We do have quality back here. I think its only that they/we see the quality that is produced in this country with regards to attack and expect that same quality in defence.

14. El Cid

El Cid Member

Jul 4, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to folks like us that were weened on American cheapies like Miller Light, they're ALL good.

Can't believe I forgot Grolsch. Dit is goede bier!

15. danski

danski Member

Jul 25, 2004
    reckon he'll do okay at the back with heitinga... but they still miss jaap stam...

as for van der Vaart, if he plays like he's done in this last season for HSV, he could be one of the stars of the tournament i reckon. he says on his official website this week he reckons holland can go all the way...

he's got some nice pix of his missus up there too!

16. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm all about Ronhaar and de Noteboom in FIFA 08. (made up players on Netherlands squad that are like super Robben and super van Nistelrooy)

17. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well if you happened to own PES2007 or PES2008 you wouldn't have to worry about fake names and shirts.

Hope this helps.

18. Of all the countries in the E2008 we swallowed the lest goals, so how bad are we really?

19. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm not offended by "Holland" it is historically correct...what my mother and father were offended by living in Canada was being called "dutch" which is derived from deutsch"(german)

20. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

"Offended" is rather big word I reckon. But "Hollland" is not historically correct. It is the region in the Netherlands that has been predominant in many ways since the 17th century and, hence, it is not the same as the Netherlands.

Anyways, I don't care as long as "Groningers" don't call/consider themselves "Hollanders", which they don't. I don't mind about the rest.

"Hup Holland!!!"

21. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Groningers are one of the few who have an attitude against Hollanders (rather De Randstad) but show self respect rather than a calimero attitude.

But I know that especially in the southern provinces, people can take a huge offense against it. As they usually are offended by Hollanders is general.

22. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    it is historically correct - Koningrijk "Holland"1806-1810...."Bataafse" Republiek...fortunately the latter name hasn't been used it would get very confusing, Holland being interchangeable with Nederland is confusing enough...my grandparents, parents or my siblings have never had a problem with being called Hollanders or referring to themselves as living in Holland even though we're from Utrecht/Friesland/Overijssel...

23. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well... tomorrow's the first day i'm going into a match supporting holland. shirt didn't get in via the mail yet, so i have to find something orange to wear

i'm going to drive into pittsburgh and hit the best soccer bar around... i wager that the italian support will outnumber the oranje pretty well knowing the area, but... i guess this will be the place to report the results and ask some follow up questions

24. El Cid

El Cid Member

Jul 4, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While you're there, ask the Italians what precisely it is that gives them membership to the G7?

On second thought, hold back on that one.

Wisely, I picked up a Holland jersey the last time I was in A'dam. Considering it will be high 90's tomorrow, I'm thankful it's short sleave....

25. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I got screwed with the one I bought on e-bay :eek:

Ordered it from a probably shady merchant, made the paypal purchase and he's suddenly unregistered... he's not communicating very well via e-mail. If he doesn't respond right tmrw... pretty much by the end of the game, I'm going to file a complaint.

That's what I get for trying to save a buck or thirty two.