Help me choose a US Football team!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by england4eva, Sep 7, 2002.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Barry Switzer is coaching the Redskins now?? :)

2. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    why are you always so nasty to people? i have only been on this board a few days and i have seen so many people complaining about you. advice is nice, having a go at someone is not!

anyway, have you ever actually watched rugby? I have many times and i can tell you that a lot of skill is required to play. to play either US football or rugby you need to be large in size. no matter how much skill you have, you won't succeed if you are small. soccer players have to have skill, and don't have to rely on height et cetera that much.

i know how hard the tactical game of Us football is. i went to the library today and read TWO books on the sport and its rules and teams. ok, i didnt have time to read it all properly but i got most of it. i understand that playing a game is like trying to organise a military attack. i know that! its so structured at times. the game isn't so free flowing because everything is worked out before the play.

i want to pick a team cos it makes it exciting. by picking a team i can get really motivated to watch and cheer them on. i always choose a team to support no matter what sport it is.

as for winning a world cup - it won't happen until 2010 at the earliest! its not really the lack of support that stopped you winning but the lack of skill. you're team hasn't quite made it yet to the level of the europeans or the south americans. personally, i believe the lack ofd support did you good this year. it might your team fight to try and get recognition in your country. i keep hearing about a basketball world cup that the US lost cos you put in a team cos you though you would walk it.

ttyl

3. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I second him on this...you're a total d ick most of the time. Just lighten up.

4. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    ok, im being stupid but who were you having a go at there? its just that i am a she and the "i second HIM" makes me think you might be having a go at me.

why don't they have a M or F thing on the profiles?

sorry again for being a DOH!

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    My mistake, yea I was having a go at him, not you.

6. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    phew!

wonder when out friend Mr cam will be back? can't wait ;)

7. Mr. Cam

Mr. Cam Red Card

Jun 28, 2001
    Lady england4eva, I have read your comments about American Football & the NFL in your other posts and your interest in "our game" seemed disingenuous at best. Even though I wrote and posted my comments in this thread before I had read your "sissy" comments about the NFL, your comments only served to reinforce my views as expressed in my previous post. But seriously, if you really want to learn you must watch and observe AS MANY GAMES as possible.

If you want to see someone very special, pay attention to the Vikings and their number one receiver, number 84 Randy Moss. He has physical skills that Owen can only dream of!

Men represent about 99.9% of the posters on BigSoccer.Com. Mr. Cam deals with about the same percentage and that's why the language can get rough sometimes.

8. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    I recommend the Atlanta Falcons. I'm not a Falcons fan, but I go to the same college that the most exciting man in the history of football, Michael Vick, went to. There not a great team now, but Vick is only 21 or 22 now so wait about 5 or 6 years and they will be untouchable.

9. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Preach it brother!!!

They've broken my heart so many times.

DAMN YOU AJ DUHE!!!! Wherever you are!!!

10. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes plus their nickname is as racist as can be.

11. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    excuse me, but in England we get taught to respect everyone. it doesn't matter if you are male, female, old or young you should still be respected. i will respect you if you respect me.

as for the sissy comment. if you read it properly, i called baseball sissy too. now i stayed up till 4.15am watching a live game last night even though i had to be up at 7. now is that dedication for you? i do this towice a week. i really love this sport but its still sissy to me. so i will continue to call NFL sissy till im ble in the face. as you said yourself, it should be about skill.

its not just me who calls it sissy. its like the name for it in england. mention american football and you get a giggle and a "that sissy thing. babies!"

as for owen - i think he went off the boil a long time ago. owen and heskey were englands weakest players IMHO. giggsy is far superior to him. if only wales could make the WC.

can you answer my question though? how many FULL rugby games have you watched and were thye rugby or union. i did watch the superbowl last year cos i wanted to try and watch the best first. i am going to try and watch as many games a s possible but remember they are on till what time in the moring? i can't stay up 7 days a week till that time? its on a very blurry black and white channel that currently has no sound. i can't really understnad the rules well cos of this. there is an Steelers v Pats match on tomorrow night (i don't think its live cos the games can take so long. cut out timeouts etc.) that i will watch.

another thing i hate - why do they have to have so many time outs? it totally ruins the game for me.

ttyl

12. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    the same thing happens here in the U.S. when you mention soccer.

13. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They need to fit in more Television commericals.

That is a big reason why Soccer (Football) has such problems in the US - not enough time for commercials so the TV networks aren't as interested in promoting it.

14. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if they didn't, you would have teams with sponsors on their jerseys, ugh...Can you picture it?? Coca-Cola or Home Depot's logo scrawled across the Falcons jersey, with a small little number on the front?? Yuk

15. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    i can see that. i love to soccer/football - its my life but i don't pretend its a hard mans sport. thats what i really don't get about US football fans. their blindness in thinking that it's a really tough sport. i watched the highlights of all the games so far and its not a hard sport. all these players would be killed in 5 secs of rugby! with all that padding thay could at least try tackle players with a bit of umph!

16. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    We think you are wrong. They actually hit pretty hard.

Signed:

Joe Theismann
    and
    Troy Aikman

17. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    its sick when money ruins sport. thats not the way its supossed to be. anyway, im sure the rules of the game where made up way before it was broadcast on TV like it is today. what was the original reason for so many breaks.

18. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    sorry, but america is the most advertising mad country in the world and would jump at the chance to have as much advertising as possible! the clubs advertise by announcing who makes their kits etc. so what is the difference? thats still advertising.

19. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    i think we may be watching different games. the US football teams of the NFL run and try to hit players but either just hit them gently or miss completely! with all that padding they should be whacking into those opposition guys with all the force in the world.

20. dcaddick

dcaddick New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    On the Bandwagon
    Cleveland Browns. Ohio is the home of American Football.

Don't tell the Bengals that, though.

21. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    There is a very good reason for that though.

22. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what games you have been watching.

Obviously none featuring Junior Seau, Ray Lewis, Mo Lewis, or Lavar Arrington.

Many of the NFL wrap-up shows feature "Hits of the week" segments. If you've seen these you would change your tune.

They have done medical studies on American Football the only sport with comparable physical damage is Boxing.

23. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    Bear Down!!!Chicago Bears!!

You should pick the Chicago Bears,one of the NFL's storied franchises.Not to mention as of late we'vebeen playing some exciting football(13-3 in 2001),we also have one of the best young players in the leage,middle linebacker Brian Urlacher 2000 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.We also have Anthony Thomas 2001 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The Chicago Bears are one of the NFL's original franchises.They were founded by "Papa Bear"George Halas,who revolutionized the game with his T-Formation.They've won several NFL championships and one Super Bowl(1985).We play hard nosed football not like some of these other sissy teams with their Fun N'Gun offense.We stick to the basics.

24. clubfoot

clubfoot New Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Oakland, CA
    Just win, baby.

The Oakland Raiders have the best uniforms, the most raucous fans and have been playing some pretty decent ball for the last couple of years. And the league is clearly out to get the Raiders, which fosters a real "us against the world" feeling amongst the organization and fans. The Raiders are kind of like Millwall, except with more trophies: Everybody hates us, we don't care.

25. Mr. Cam

Mr. Cam Red Card

Jun 28, 2001
    Read and Learn!!!

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4095

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2359

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1847

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1349