Help me choose a US Football team!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by england4eva, Sep 7, 2002.

1. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    OK, i have decided to really try and get into this sport this year.

i have a washington redskins top cos it looked good so im supporting them.

i want to support an NY team but i don't know how many of them there are so help me out!

cheers

2. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I'm a San Francisco 49ers fan, so I can be objective here: stick with Washington. They have a new coach and he may be the thing they need to win it all. They'll be interesting, even if they lose.

The NY Giants and Jets aren't going too far. The Buffalo Bills are worse. All are boring teams, but the Jets have their moments.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    As a lifelong NY Jets fans I have a hard time recommending them. I guess they are a bit like the Tottenham of US football. They are heartbreakers extrordinaire, usually the type to go 8-3 to start off a season, only to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs. They have a decent team this year (better than the Giants), but they are still certainly in the second tier of teams in the NFL (behind the likes of the Rams, etc).

The Jets were the media darlings of the late 60s/early 70s, but were pretty unmitigated shite from about 75 to 98, had a good year or two but basically weren't going anywhere. They did have one year where they started 10-1 and looked to be going to the superbowl, only to finish the season 10-5-1 (w-l-d) and end up losing to the browns in double overtime. They have literally perfected the agony of getting close enough to winning that you think they have a chance, only to rip your heart out at the most depressing time possible. Some teams never win and you accept them for sucking. The Jets are better than that, but they have a mystique of losing that surrounds the team like a fog at times.

The Giants are a historically more successful team (had great teams in the 50s, etc) and won 2 Super Bowls in my lifetime (1986, 1990). They had some great teams during those years, with an incredible defense and an offense that was good enough to win although not sparkling. Since then, they've been mostly crap. They did surprise everyone by making it to the Superbowl 2 years ago, but that was a bit lucky. Currently, they have a defense that is pretty good, but w/o a great secondary and offense with some decent weapons but I think their offense line will prevent them from getting very far.

If style is a consideration for you, the Jets are usually a flashier team, the Giants more conservative. The Jets throw the ball a lot (some times to the other team, ugh), and play a more wide open style. The Giants are more of a running team, throwing when they have to but content to win with solid offense and strong defense. The divisions they play in are quite different as well.

Both are decent teams, but neither are on the ManU/Arsenal level at current. Probably the most important difference between our football and yours (aside from, of course, the rules) is that more teams in the US have chance due to the salary cap in the NFL. Since all teams can only spend the same amount of money, no team is great for that long and many teams have a shot every year. Imagine if Man U could only spend the same amount as Southampton. Would even the league out a bit, no? In the EPL, there are only about 5 teams that fight for the title. In the NFL, while there are certainly 5 or so top teams, any of the top 10 could step up and win it. That's how the Patriots won the superbowl last year out of nowhere. They were an average team who got on a great run and ended up winning the whole thing. They won't again this year I suspect, but due to the playoff system it is a bit more feasible than the EPL setup which forces you to be good all year long. In the NFL, you get 4 good games in a row and you win it all.

Good luck with whoever you choose to support.

4. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    I'm a lifelong Detroit Lions fan. All I can tell you is not to support them.

5. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you want to choose a team, you can't do any better than the Pittsburgh Steelers. Long on tradition, solid pedigree. The ownership, front office, and coaching staffs are tops in the league. For years they developed a ton of talent only to lose them to other teams poaching their roster by overspending. Now, with a new stadium they have the revenue to keep most of their stars and are odds on favorites to make it to the Super Bowl this year. They have the leagues best fans, the best uniform, the most unique helmet, and play solid old-fashioned smash mouth football. For all these reasons, you will never be disappointed if you pick the Steelers as your team.

6. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England

Tottenham??? Jeez, are you trying to put me off them? LOL! Giants get one vote!

have you ever seen rugby? i like that cos of the running. i don't like the throwing all the time. it just gets boring and there isn't so muck skill involved IMO. so that means, jets gets one vote!

oh, this is hard! i think i might try and support both and watch them as much as possible then choose. i might choose the pats too since they won last year. i like having ots of teams. more chance of me seeing them on TV.

i had no idea thety had to spend the same asmount of money. i wisdh they could bring that into football/soccer. the only problem is that great tgeams like Man U, Lazio etc. wouldn't exist the way they do. its great to see the teams with all the great players working together. it would bring on more home grown talent though, which is badly needed in the EPL. we are struggling to look for players for internationals.

cheers for all the help :)

7. Pepper

Pepper New Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Southeast Missouri
    Then I won't recommend the St. Louis Rams.

8. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    i'll certainly have a look

i think they show the ESPN match on Tues night on our Ch5. does ESPN do football on a tues? i watch baseball on the Sunday and wednesday too. with it being on so late i wish i could tape it - i can't :( the reception is so bad that if i wanna watch i have to stay up to hold the aerial! ;)

9. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    OK! at least i have a team NOT to support! i keep asking ppl on all these message boards and they keep giving me all these team names. soon i will have a list of teams to support 10 miles long! :)

10. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The San Diego Chargers sucked like none other last season. But they got a good coach this year (Marty Schottenheimer), so hopefully they'll turn it around. If you like underdogs, this could be the team to choose.

11. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    If you prefer running, go for either the NY Giants or the Pittsburgh Steelers. Both teams have 250+pound running backs who are amazingly fast.

Throw away your Washington jersey, their new coach is known for all of his teams throwing early and often.

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only to have them break your heart by losing the AFC championship game. :(

13. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ole' Ball Coach will be fun to follow this year.

I can't wait for his quotes.

14. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Running *IS* "Giant football". Jets fans are all low lives who buy their clothes at KMART. Giants fans are the CLASS of NY. They actually have won more than 1 championship, and have had more GREAT players and have been in business longer. Id say they are one of the few NFL teams with an actual "tradition".

If youre looking for class teams the only ones you should be looking at is:

Packers
    49ers
    Steelers
    Chiefs
    Bears
    Cowboys

Everyone else are jokes.

15. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not a big NFL fan. I used to be, but not anymore. College is where it's at. Anyway, if you want a NFL team... Go Saints!!! :)

16. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    If you're going to pick an American Football Club, then, as you English say, don't fuck about. Go with the New England Patriots. I haven't seen a champion get so little respect since the 1998 Florida Marlins. The difference is that all of the keys are back this year, and we still get no respect. Well that's fine, we'll take our respect by repeating. You should read some of the press over here. Nobody is anticipating the Patriots on their schedule. The rest of the League seems to believe that the Patriots shouldn't have won anything at all and aren't any kind of threat. This could be an advantage as every previous champion has had a bullseye on their ass. Whatever club you pick, don't pick the Dallas Cowboys. Or the Oakland Raiders. I found that when I wanted to pick a Canadian Football League Club, I went with one team that really needed a fan, the Toronto Argonauts. With that in mind, maybe you should cheer for the Arizona Cardinals. Or look for a cultural similarity. I don't have a favorite EPL club, so I just root for the ones who are historically supported by Catholics.

17. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Help me choose a US Football team!

yeah.......right

18. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Re: Re: Re: Help me choose a US Football team!

No kidding. Goddamn NFC Elitists. Oh wait a second. :)

19. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Help me choose a US Football team!

I guess Tom Landry and all the their great players of the pass, not to mention championships, doesnt count?

20. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    well i just saw they lost 16-13 to San Fran, but i still think im supporting the giants.

do i have to? i really like the style

21. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    well im being told to go for steelers a lot so i think im adding them to my list. the packers, cowboys and 49ers are pretty well known too so they might be my outside teams.

22. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Help me choose a US Football team!

I guess some of their players off field problems doesnt count?

23. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    i am! :)

i don't know any EPL teams that are historically supported by catholics. thats usually left to scotland with the Celtic V Rangers argument. if you don't mind me saying, the whole catholic argument has caused many deaths and it really isn't needed. support football for the football

take care :)

24. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    the cleveland browns.

25. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Just to let everyone know what a freakin' commie I am, I am a Dallasite and I hate the Dallas Cowboys.

There were a few weeks of the Jimmy Johnson 0-whatever season that they were tolerable.

You know how, if you aren't a professional athlete, how it seems like it would be fun to be on a team. After watching some of the HBO/Cowboys over the last few weeks, I can honestly say that I would not want to spend anytime with those people. Jeez, but me on an assemply line somewhere...

Is it a pro-football thing?