Help. Kid hyper focused on attacking

Discussion in 'Coach' started by smontrose, Mar 11, 2020.

1. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U16 son, Plays primarily winger and some outside back.
    Was a late starter so he brings his own style for sure.
    I recently commented how he tends to only go forward when he receives the ball and that hes losing the ball too much. I thought I was pointing out a bad habit but his reply indicated he knows hes doing it.
    3 factors.
    1. He has scorers mentality. If he does get past the first defender hes very good about doing the right thing including passing or providing crosses.
    2. I know hes afraid if he passes ball backwards or to midfielders he will not see it again.
    3.he thinks he can get past anyone! Even two players.
    I thought it was poor touch but when he is patient he is very good getting by defenders and he is very fast.
    Last thing important to know. If he receives ball with back to defender he will basically turn around in place and try to go forward. Basically giving ball away.
    So far I've tried to get him to think about checking shoulder before receiving ball. I have him do sort of a croqueta touch drill to get him moving laterally and also suggested using sort of a j turn which I think would help him shield the ball.
    This may be all about his stubbornness which of course he gets from his mom?
    I don't understand his unwillingness to adjust.
    Any coaches suggestions on drills techniques, mental exercises to help him overcome?
    Typically when hes in the game he can create lots of good momentum for his team but this habit really hurts how he is evaluated by the coach in a group that has lots of forwards

Thx

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    1. When playing on the flank, he should have his back to touch, regardless of where his marker is. This is common sense and I am surprised that he doesn't already play that way. Somebody apparently coached him wrong.

2. He has a lot of good qualities for player development. Don't try to coach them out of him. The idea is to improve his play. Improving positioning is always a good area to work on.

3. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for replying.
    Outdoors hes got back to opposition or the sideline all the time I'd say. If I misstated its because we just came off of indoor and futsal...I call it gym class soccer! Just more about movement. Numbers forward numbers back. He crushed it indoors this winter so was bit of surprise that hes having this issue outdoors.
    I appreciate your second comment about not coaching it out of him. Which is exactly what he told me! Told me isn't going to change! I was pretty impressed by that. So that's why I'm looking for suggestions on strategies for him. Techniques, etc.
    Hes not a direct type player...club is hardcore about teaching possession but he is not interested in trying to impress by dribbling about doing nothing!
    Any specific moves, te henriques. Or players to emulate?

4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    He needs to understand that soccer is a team game. One player cannot win a game, but one self-centered player can lose it if they don't work with the rest of the team. I would be hesitant to build your team around him, IE make everyone else cover for his deficiencies. You have to convince him he'll be a better player if he plays both ways. Show him video of attackers off the ball and in the defensive phase to prove your point.

5. TCRZero

TCRZero New Member

Columbus Crew
    Jan 7, 2019
    In both the half turn and back to goal - first touch is everything.

I would set up the exact situation as a drill. You'll need 3 players (attacker, defender and service). Set an end-line or goal with a defender marking attacker (loosely at first and then tighter). Work with 2 different starting positions, start with half turn and service plays the ball to attackers downfield foot. Then have him work back to goal (and tight defending). Emphasize that the first touch is what sets him loose, but let him figure out exact techniques that works for him.

Also, if it isn't on - drop the ball back to the service player, and make a run for ball into space. Another thing to incorporate is to have him hold up and have server overlap. It really helps if he can get the teammate who typically plays behind him to participate. Understanding your partner is a big part of this game.

6. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stphnsn, I'm parent not coach. Came here for the expertise! Thx guys.
    I would not call him selfish otherwise so this habit of his is perplexing. I'd say typically he gets as much satisfaction trying to set up scoring opportunities via crosses,corners, etc as he is shooting.
    As I said, i think hes afraid if he passes back to midfielders the ball will get turned over anyway. Our club is a midfielder factory and typically all they want to do is take too many touches and pass to the other mids!
    Tcrzero, thx for input.

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I would probably try to record the games and review his playing with him. Then he can see what he's doing right/wrong; what to improve on; etc. Video can be a powerful tool to learn.

Without more details of his club and his teammates, coach, league, it's hard to say what to do. I cannot say that you should try to curtail his natural inclinations. It depends on many things. Don't pressure him too much, but try to assess his playing together and compare it to say videos of pros (or very good players) playing to compare.