Help......... How do you beat Brazil??

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by teddles, Dec 16, 2005.

1. teddles

teddles New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Sydney
    You are the Manager of Australia, Japan or Croatia. Your about to face Brazil.

How would you go about breaking down their defence?
    How would you defend?
    Would you try to out muscle them?
    Should man mark or put 2 men on some of their better players?
    What formation would you use?

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The three opposing coaches have one job, getting through to the knockout rounds. Going after an improbable victory against Brazil will more than likely backfire, exposing your defense against the world's most prolific and creative strikers.

Play strong, compact, disciplined defense.
    Swarm and disrupt play in the midfield, don't let the attack build-up.
    Foul intelligently away from the goal.
    Counter-attack down the wings.

In a group where 2nd place could easily be decided on goal difference, losing 2:1 to Brazil is a solid result and doesn't eliminate you from contention. Losing 4:1 likely sends you home.

3. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very good, but I think a fairly agressive play against the Brazilians seems to work best.. Keep them short, don't let them get into their samba rhitm. be tough and tackle hard. That is the way to keep them from gettting into their game and beating you like 4-0.. and hope for the break where you can actually score against them.

But then again we lost so many finals against them that my advice is probably worth nothing...

4. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack...

5. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Pray, Pray, Pray.....

Really.

Try to keep the ball as much as possible.
    Play tough defense. Foul them away from goal.
    Hope that your goal keeper plays a brilliant game.
    Try to keep the ball away from Ronaldinho's feet.

6. jessieNaz

jessieNaz New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Fouling the Brazilians would be a big mistake. You have to assume that the other teams in this group are playing for the second spot, which means that they don't need a player picking up a yellow card in a game which they can't win. I think that they should pack all 11 defenders back near the goal and smother the brazilian attack, and hope to win a draw. Fouling the Brazilians will end up costing them players in their other games.

7. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    You can't bunker Brazil. They'll just break it down with their dribbling and passing. You have to be aggressive and break up their flow. Besides, it is the WC, if you making it past Brazil is an all or nothing game.

8. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    as others have mentioned here, the key is to be aggressive...and more importantly, fearless.

for those who want to know how to beat Brazil, just watch the brazil-turkey semifinal from 2002. Although Brazil still prevailed, Turkey played a flawless game. And I guess, that shows how tough it is. They were all over us and we needed one flash of brilliance from Ronaldo.

Mexico and Paraguay are usually very successful against us because they close down our midfield very effectively. It also helps that they tend to play with almost 10 men back...at least Paraguay does this. They rough us up a bit. Mexico beat Brazil in the U17 tournament because they killed our best player and we had to sub him in the first 15 minutes. While I think this is an extremely dirty play, it can be effective. I hate it, but people still do this.

In this group, I think we have a definite edge over Japan because they are a less technical version of us...a version I call "brazil-light." You get into a goal-scoring contest with us and you will lose. If that game in the confederations cup had gone to extra time, we probably would have won.

I don't really know too much about Australia's style, but it seems as if they can also score their fair share of goals, like in the Germany game in the Confed Cup. Again, if a team does this, they lose. However, I think for Australia to have a shot against us, the key thing is for Schwarzer to have the game of his life. He played amazingly well against Uruguay...and he was the reason why they beat Uruguay. Brazil can get frustrated when they start missing easy goals. Happens to all of us I guess...so Schwarzer has to look like a wall. Look at Mexico-Brazil again in the Confed Cup. We blew so many chances and were caught snoozing several times and were thus vulnerable to the counter attack.

9. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    What I know is that we can score 1 or 2 goals against them. When they are in the mood, this is not enough, but by smart play it's possible to limit them to one or two goals. Mexico even showed that it's possible to keep clean sheet. It will be though, we need to be clever and have a stroke of luck, but drawing them wouldn't be a shock as some are trying to present.

10. teddles

teddles New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Sydney
    It would appear that the consenses is that if you just defend against Brazil they will kill you. You need to be able to pressure them in midfeild and
    attack their goal to ensure Brazil do not put in 5 or 6 at the other end.

11. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It is hard to compare the two teams because Japan has no FWs like Brazil's. They won't try to make something happen out of nowhere, but rather build up until they have a clear shot.
    I know the point that you are trying to make about a goal contest with Brazil, and you are right, but I wouldn't say so for that particular game. Remember, it was Japan who finished stronger with the goal and then a point-blank header that was saved at the end. Brazil also passed the ball around their defense for a big portion of the game. They might have been tired from the other matches or something. Or maybe they didn't want to show up Zico. But I think their defense is somewhat vulnerable to a proficient attack. Argentina seemed sloppy in the final, and that is why they didn't score till it was too late, but they proved before they can punish Brazil's defense on a given day.

12. Simo™

Simo™ New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    London, UK
    Well personally i think its easy, just score more goals then them :)

13. teddles

teddles New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Sydney
    :D

14. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Score more goals than they do.

15. teddles

teddles New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Sydney

Easier said then done

16. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Mexico beat Brazil in the U17 because they had the better team . The player that got injured took a bad step (watch the replay). I would love to see the complete Brazil play these kids again even with Kerlon (sp) , Mexico had a better team in that tournament , Just look at the Brazil vs. Gahna game , Brazil looked lousy that day as they did vs. Turkey .

Mexico didn't beat Brazil with a counterAttack in the Confed cup .
    Mexico scored with a corner kick , They won the game by limmiting the space that Brazil had to work with (and luck of course). I would also argue that our players where in better physical condition.

If you want to know how NOT to play Brazil , have a look at the Brazil vs. Greece game , Greece did everything that a team shouldn't do against them.

17. VATRENI 11

VATRENI 11 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Well....I would tell my guys..."Brazilians are good...BUT YOU ARE PROFESSIONAL SOCCER PLAYERS TOO!!!!!!! THIS IS YOUR JOB! Y YOU GOTTA BE SCARED OF THEM??? THEY JUST 11 ON THE FIELD..THERE WILL BE 11 OF YOU AS WELL!!! YOU HAVE TWO LEGS JUST LIKE THEY DO!!!!!!!!!" .... i respect brazil and their past but I dont understand how cowardly a lot of people are when it comes to face them. I'd slap my men in the dressing room and tell them to be real MEN and play with their hearts

18. Simo™

Simo™ New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    London, UK
    Bit Slow mate, already said :)

19. Sid Wilson

Sid Wilson New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    dont show any fear go out and attack and hope u got some luck on your side i guess?

20. Andre_Fla81

Andre_Fla81 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Brasil

Well, that's the spirit!!

21. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Without Ronaldihno Brazil is just a team. Still the best the in the world, but just a team. That was proved in Split this August. But with Ronaldihno they have a player who can take the ball when ever he wants and score on any defense.
    The basic thing about beating Brazil is using every chance their defense gives you (and they will provide a couple, I'm sure). Plus, for me a draw goes under beating Brazil. ;)

22. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    I don't think so. 'They' will invite you to the game as 'their' guests - as 'they' always do, it should be added -, you'll accept and be slaughtered in the end. As I see, just play as you normally would, with your heart.

23. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  24. VATRENI 11

VATRENI 11 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    u guys respect Brazil way too much....

25. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    I disagree
    Ronaldinho at the NT has seldom reached his goal scoring prowess at Barcelona
    I'd say Kaka, Adriano and of course, Ronaldo, have done a lot more and been way more consistent at the NT than Ronaldinho