Help Cannot record from FSC or GolTv

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by richsavare, Feb 5, 2010.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For years I have been taping matches from FSC and GolTv, and last night I discovered that when I attempt to record I get a copy protected message, and I wonder why?

The games was not Live it was played on Sunday, so I am at a total loss here, and wonder if this in effect forever?

I used to have Directv until last summer when I went to Verizon for cost and technical purposes, but I wonder if this is happening there as well. Verizon tells me they have no control, and do not understand it either.

I do not have the dvr service as I like to collect the matches, but if necessary will get it if I can somehow download matches on to a disc, but again who knows what is the deal.

What will be the story for the upcoming World Cup on ABC/ESPN?

The point of recording is to obviously watch at my lesiure as like many I cannot be in front of TV as I work, and I even take my mini dvd player with me to work and watch on my lunch break so what is the story.

I have emailed FSC and GolTv, but have received no response as of yet.

I am really concerned as Champions League, etc, are coming up and its just not possible to watch Live. Its ridiculous quite honestly, and wonder what is the point of having a dvd recorder/player?

Can someone help with these issues? This is a major problem.

2. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is not the first message I've seen about this issue. Is this new? specific to one provider?

I know HDCP was a major reason that HDTV was pushed on everyone politically, and that with digital STBs/DVRs this could easily be implemented by providers, I just didn't think it'd started already. I know TiVo'd done some things with their boxes before and certain events but I'd thought those plans were abandoned.

I also know that when I've recorded programs from Setanta Xtra in the past (on DirecTV SD DVR) the listing had a $ sign next to it. I suppose until HDTV sets and HDMI/DVI-D connections become requirements of cable/sat providers we will always have the ability to go analog (as I do to another PC-based DVR I have).

3. kalin21

kalin21 Member

May 26, 2009
    TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Get a video capture device like this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-DC60-Capture-Adapter-Software/dp/B000Z4AQFU/ref=pd_cp_e_3"]Amazon.com: EasyCap DC60 - USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter with Video Editing Software: Electronics[/ame] to record to the computer first..and then you can transfer it to a disc..
    Or just order the dvr with verizon...

4. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I do not use my computer for anything other then email and some web surfing, and quite frankly have no idea.

DVR through Verizon is not the answer as I am looking to save some money, plus if I did go this route would it be able to convert to dvd? My understanding is that you can only store so many hours so this is not acceptable.

The bottom line is this is crazy, and there must be an answer does anyone know what can be done, is there any contact information to send/complain to either FSC or GolTv?

Finally, what does this mean for the World Cup? Is there anyway to find out?

5. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I do not even have an HD TV as of yet, and this whole process makes no sense. Any help or information would be extremely helpful.

I have to imagine that are many others like myslef out there that have same issues. Like I said will this change, is this some type of system hiccup?

What will ESPN/ABC do for the World Cup.

I am really worried that I may miss games, and that is totally unacceptable consodering the amounts paid for cable, etc.

6. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is your recording setup then? VCR? Tivo?

7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have a dvd recorder. I used to use VHS, but those are being out to pasture.

The benefit of the dvd is that I can bring a copied game with me to work and watch on my lunch break via my mini dvd player.

I have to imagine there are many concerned people like myself out there.

I mean who can sit and watch Live matches all the time? The purpose of having a recorder is obvious.

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's the hookup? RCA cables? S-video? optical?

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hornet,
    Thanks for your help here I believe its cables. My recorder is JVCmodel DR-MV79B.

I really have little technical ability or understanding so please bare with me.

10. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to check after reading this thread and sure enough FSC is now copy protected. Probably got activated when they switched to an HD feed.

I have Cablevision, but I'm sure this is true fror all service providers.

I record everthing on my TiVo, but due to the copy protection I can't transfer it to my PC like I can most other shows. It seems that I can stil copy it to a vcr or dvd recorder using the 'Save to VCR' feature but I haven't been able to test it. Any recording copied would be forced from HD to SD (even though FSC is actually HD yet).

I know this doesn't help you much, but at least you have a more definitive answer on why your having this issue. Good look coming up with a solution.

12. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to try to record part of the Arsenal Chelsea match on my PC DVR to see if there is any problems with copy protection in my setup. If there is, it may be time to find some sort of filter.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just stumbled on this problem last night. My Tivo was filling up so I went to archive Arsenal's latest CL triumph to DVD but my Toshiba DVDR threw up with "This program is not allowed to be recorded. E26".

I then did a lot of analyzing, testing, talking and found:
    * FSC (via Cablevision for me) seemed to become copy-protected on 1/28/10.
    * FSC shows from before 1/28 I can still copy to DVD, but after 1/28 no way!
    * Tivo "Info" on recent FSC shows are labeled "Restricted"... not permitting copies to VCR, DVD, etc.
    * Tivo says it's not their fault, that it's Cablevision or Fox.
    * Cablevision says it's not their fault, that it's Fox.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I've always had the ability to record stuff to VHS or DVD for watching at some future time, often years later. (A DVR by definition is not a long-term archival solution)

I know the media providers are clamping down on illegal copying, but isn't it legal "fair use" to be able to transfer a copy from Tivo to DVD??!!!

This has been so incredibly annoying, so bogus and such a time suck, I'm really furious at all 3 companies right now (Tivo, Cablevision & Fox).

1 person likes this.
  14. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blame your politicians for enabling the DMCA. That's the root cause.

One of those links mentions something about bypassing the Macrovision by using an old VCR as an intermediary

15. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe what you are experiencing is the record once flag. As its named, its allows only a single recording, then nothing after. I used to run into this with my Comcast DVR a lot when trying to record via Firewire.

If I recorded it via the DVR and FW on the first showing, it was fine, but if I treid when to record it via FW from the DVR later, I was SOL.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup you're right it's the "copy once" flag. I forgot to mention that in my post.

It really sucks that they can just make this change that causes so much disruption to law-abiding people's lives.

I'm not copyright expert, but I still don't see why legally I don't have a right to transfer my one copy from Tivo to DVD. Isn't that "fair use"?!

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would assume so. But I also think that it sucks that they're screwing over the people who want a permanent copy of a Cup Final that their team won just because someone in some far-away city is uploading copyright content.

If you're listening to CDs in the car, it is perfectly legal to make CDRs to play, while keeping the original CDs safe at home. However, it is my understanding that it is not legal to put a store-bought DVD (which you own...errr..own the viewing rights to) on your iPod.

CD -> CDR = legal
    DVD -> iPod = not legal (but possible, in case you're wondering.)

I was reading another forum which suggested that when you "buy" a movie or whatever, you're technically buying a copy of that movie, to which you own the rights to view said movie in your home.

I wonder if the same thing is happening with TV channels. You have the rights to view the shows, but keeping them permanently is another issue.

It does suck though.

18. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair use has been eroded by the DMCA - such that what we might considered fair use recording to VHS/cassette tape and watching later doesn't apply to digital media - or at least is strongly curtailed.

19. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I have DirecTV R15 standard def DVR and have had no problems. I work with a Mac so I can't speak to how to solve this with a PC. With a Mac, you would want to record from your DVR to DVD-R/+R, then extract your VIDEO_TS folder with MacTheRipper, which will remove macrovision. Then re-burn that VIDEO_TS folder with Toast. Other options would be to fix bad sectors with MyDVDEdit and/or do the extraction of the original DVD as a single VOB file rather than as a VIDEO_TS folder and run the VOB file through MPEGStreamclip, which can fix breaks in the file created by the DVD recorder. Any of these methods will leave you with a Region 0 DVD and no macrovision protection.

I assume someone more versed with a PC can offer similar tips.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did that sound like Chinese to anybody else here?

21. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, however, this won't solve the OP problem as he is using a Cable MSO and their IRD functions different than the DirecTV IRDs

22. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok i just tried it...What you have to do is record to your DVR first. They when you want to play it it gives you the option of " copy to VCR" as long as you have the connections it will work and to copy directly to a DVD

23. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Here's a dictionary for you:

Macrovision is a type of protection. When you try to copy a macrovision protected source your copy usually has a wavy image and the colors fade in and out.

VIDEO_TS is the folder found on a DVD that contains files that are read by your DVD player. Most DVD-R/+R will also contain an AUDIO_TS folder, which is empty and useless for video purposes.

VOBs are files contained within a VIDEO_TS folder. They are a combination of audio and video that have been joined together (muxed).

The VIDEO_TS folder also contains IFO and BUP files, which tell your DVD player what to do.

Your VOB files are coded for a specific region (Region 1 for USA and Canada) which can only be played in that region. If you want to circumvent this and perhaps watch your DVD in another region or you want to watch a DVD sent to you from someone in another region then you want that DVD to be recoded as Region 0.

The programs I discussed in my previous post will allow anyone who uses a Mac to circumvent problems when copying an image provided the original VOB files are free from Macrovision problems. If your original image coming from your DVR or TV is bad then none of the information provided in that post will help. If the original image is fine and you can get a DVD-R then the programs discussed will help circumvent problems copying a DVD-R.

That should cover it. The terms are no longer foreign to you (i.e., you shouldn't feel like you're reading Chinese).

24. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awesome :)

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to say...

For me choosing "Save to VCR" on my Tivo has no different results than if I just choose "Play". I still get the same E26 error "This program is not allowed to be recorded".

It seems that either way the "copy once" signal gets through to my DVR, which then refuses to record to DVD.

You said "as long as you have the connections"... is there some hidden wisdom in that?