help bring tasha back to 'fort yallop!'

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by battchy, Aug 26, 2002.

1. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    hey all,

i figured i'd start a new thread to try to keep the organization of this effort as straight as possible. here's the deal....

if you don't know, for the dc united game, 'make-a-wish' foundation brought a girl by the name of tasha sanders and her sister to spartan to meet the quakes and see a game. she lives in missouri. the idea came up on these boards to try to get the $$$ together to bring her and her sister/mom/friend to the last game of the year vs. the galactoscum. i contacted her mother today, and she thought it would be a great idea. so now, all we need to do is raise the $$$, get her and one other person a plane ticket here and back, and that's it. quakes front office has graciously volunteered to kick in the game tickets as well as the hotel fare for one evening (just heard that 2 minutes ago...cheers, quakes front office!!!).

so here's where we stand. 'keepit0' did some research, and we should be able to get airplane tix for +-$230 each, that totals to +-$460 total for this great event for this very nice girl. so, we need to come up with that amount...

i've volunteered to give $50, as has LDB. 'keepit0' is in (i'm presuming) for some cash, but has not said how much (and really, it doesn't matter, the contribution's what counts). so that leaves us somewhere around $350 short. that's where we need your help. please post here if you'd be willing to help w/ cash, all other facets will be taken care of.

you can send the checks to the quakes office (so you know i'm not just cashing them and buying beer), care of:

erika guth
    san jose earthquakes
    3550 stevens creek blvd., suite 200
    san jose, ca 95117

please make the checks out to me (steve battcher), however, as there are some rightful concerns about co-mingling funds, affiliations, etc., w/ the quakes, so they will merely be a collection place for this quest, and i will be given the checks post the sept 21 game.

we would need to have a majority (if not all) of the $$$ in b4 i'd personally be willing to put the plane tix on my credit card, so i need name volunteers soon (w/in a week or so). please post here if you'd be willing to contribute, and how much (whatever amount helps). again, our goal is a mere +-$450, if every member of club quake were involved, that would equate out to less then 1 beer at spartan per person (working w/ the 400 member number). now, i don't expect to get help from everyone, but i'd love to hear it!

so far people involved...

battch $50
    living_dead_boy $50
    keepit0 $???

step up folks!!! this is good stuff, and you could be very proud of yourselves for helping. btw, there is no compensation/free stuff that i'm getting for this either, i just liked the idea and ran w/ it.

can we do it? i think we can!
    BRING TASHA BACK TO 'FORT YALLOP'!!!

cheers,
    battch

GO QUAKES!!!

2. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
    Fun Idea!

Club Quake will donate $100 and we'll forward the request to our members (some of whom don't read BigSoccer).

Mike

3. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Im in for about $25.. i'll sent the check tommarow..

Thats wierd, giving someone else money on my birthday :p

4. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    I'll fork up 25 bucks as well. I guess that top I've been eyeing at the store will have to wait til later! ;) So make the check payable to Steve Battcher but c/o Erika Guth? That sounds right.

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  6. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    hello all...

so far so good! below is a tally of where we stand as of day 2 in this endeavor.

battch $50
    LDB $50
    club quake $100
    ruby223 $25
    IBT $25
    ross f/ st. paul $30
    ken olofsen $50

total so far: $330!!!

that leaves us about $130 shy. that means that any help at all, be it $5/$10, whatever, will very likely bring us to completion. any help to finish this out would be great!!! huge thanks and props to those who have already stepped up, and for those that i'm sure have yet to.

cheers,
    battch

GO QUAKES!!!

7. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    allright, allright, allright!!!

chris reese volunteered for $50

only $80 to go!!! get in quick for your 'good deed' of the year!

cheers,
    battch

GO QUAKES!!!

8. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll pick up the rest to call this complete. Put me down for $80. I think this is a great thing that we're doing. Is there anything else that we can do to make this a special weekend for Tasha? Maybe passes to Great America or the Santa Cruz Boardwalk or something?

- Scott

9. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    When I started this I was just thinking of getting Tasha out for the game, wasn't thinking a whole weekend. (Although a whole weekend would be a cool idea.) I'm still trying to get the airfare quote I saw.

I'll split the remainder with you. I can't believe the response this got once it got put in a new thread. I was getting bummed that it went two days with only battchy responding. (Mental note: new topics need new threads.)

10. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great idea, guys. way to go!!!
    rfsp
    quakes and QPR

11. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking that this may be only her second trip outside the midwest to the west coast and she ought to see something more while she's here, maybe San Francisco, the Redwoods or the beach/boardwalk. I don't know if we necessarily need to be the ones to plan the rest of her weekend, but we should schedule the flights to leave her with time to do some of it on her own if she wants to. We might need to pick up a rental car as an additional thing to enable this to happen.

12. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I'll send mine tommorrow! 8/28/02 :)

13. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

She could go to the Brit and have a beer with Landon. :D What??? I think the leagal drinking age in Missouri is like 9 isn't it? ;)

14. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Yeah, I hear you. Due to the "can't miss school" mandate, I was looking at planes that would leave Friday evening(after school), and departing Sunday afternoon hitting Springfield Sunday evening.

Different ideas on flights?

15. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    i'll talk to her mom tomorrow about tasha's flexibility on time, i'm all for giving tasha as much opportunity here as possible, but let's keep this effort in perspective a little. after all, we can't do everything (i'm just concerned about overtaxing our very generous contribution pool here).

keepit0...again, where were you looking at the $230 rate? the best i've seen is $380/person, which changes our goal amount by $300 (tho i was doing a sat morning, sunday evening schedule, not friday night, which may change things). please contact me directly at sbattcher@btcommercial.com or battchy@yahoo.com

cheers,
    battch

16. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    I've lobbed two emails at your yahoo address. I saw the fare on Orbitz two days ago. Now when I do SGF->SFO I get an error from Orbitz. (Totally sucks.) The best I'm seeing today is $420/person. Yeah, that changes our goal amount.

If we do Sat morning, I'd imagine they'd be too tired to really enjoy the game.

17. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    any new readers, please see thread entitled 'tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup' for latest update.

thanks,
    battch