Help! Brasilian University Getulio Vargas and The Surrounding Area!

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Joelzinho, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Whats going on all.

I want to know a little bit of information about Getulio Vargas University. I wanted to know in what type of area it is located in? How big the student population in Sao Paolo is in general? The type of facilities that they have (Libraries, Sports Complex...etc)

If anyone has attended the University who can help me? Is it held in good esteem? Is the Business school itself good? Does it generally have a good reputation?

The reason why I want to know this information is that I have the option to go over there for a student exchange program, the choice is between Getulio Vargas, Mexico's City Monterray University.

From my understanding all the courses are taught in Portuguese, which ultimately is not a very big problem. I understand basically everything except for the occasion Brasilian word that I am un-familiar with. I speak around 70 percent of the Portuguese language. However I am absolutely horrid at writing the languages. I am afraid that if I have no choice but to write in Portuguese, I will have a problem and might have to abandon that particular option.

Anyways, I was curious if anyone attends, has attended the school, or can provide any information that can aid me in making a decision.

Thank you in advance.

2. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Man, are you talking about FGV(Fundação Getúlio Vargas)? In february I was approved there. But I am not matriculated, because in that month I was approved in the best law school of Latin America(Faculdade de Direito do Largo São Francisco - USP) hahahah. And now I'm studying there. But I'm planning to study at FGV next year. They are considered the best business school of latin america(I think). FGV is located near from Paulista avenue, the main economic center of Brasil. Now, you can see their importance.

I think you can see more informations here.

http://www.eaesp.fgvsp.br/default.aspx?pagid=LSJCNKSO

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ah, so its in a relatively active part of town. What are the living conditions like? How much would it cost monthly to get an apartment in the surround area?

4. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    In the surround area, it will cost about US$1500. The neighborhood is called Jardins, one of the most expensive area of São Paulo. But the price has its explication: Jardins looks like Europe(but with assaults, kidnap).

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wowoww....1500 a month....How the hell I am going to afford that?

6. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    hahaah. You said you want to know the cost of living in that area. You can always choose a cheaper place. I know some people at my University that spends at maximum US$400/month.

7. commitment#4

commitment#4 Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hope you guys can tell me a little about UC Center in Bahia, Brazil-United States Cultural Association, Bahia. Any type of info would be cool. Is this a nice spot in Brazil,Night life? What would the closes soccer team be?

Im going to study Aboard in a year and Brazil, Costa Rica, y Italy are my options.I been to Costa Rica and its beautiful, but I want to go to Brazil to study Potuguese and the Afro Brazilian -culture.

Thanks in advance

8. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what the UC Center is, but I have lived in Salvador, where you'd be going, off and on for the last 5 years. It is a very rich city, culturally. The beaches are definately a highlight, but so are the cities historical districts. The two "big" teams in town are Bahia and Vitoria. Both are traditionally 1st division teams, but have suffered through corrupt management recently. Bahia would be closer to where you'll probably be, but Vitoria is currently better.

The nightlife won't be as good as in Sao Paulo or Rio, but there is plenty to do and the crime is minimal compared to other big cities in Brazil. There is plenty of crime there, but it is generally petty crime. Personally, I've never had a problem there, even when I didn't speak portuguese.

The following site is decent and has plenty of info about Salvador.
    http://www.bahia-online.net/

PM me if you have more questions.

9. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    thats not bad with a roomate....not bad at all.

Here in LA, on the westside, its around 1800-2000 per month for a two bedroom...

Im always broke...but you can do it..If you take out a small school loan...then u be living nice.

10. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, maybe, but when you realize that in other big cities in Brazil you can get a nice apartment in front of the ocean for less than 500 it makes 1500 in Sao Paulo ridiculous.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I do not want to take out a loan. Thats brutal.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Me again. I am also looking at attending Universidade do Estado de Santa Catarina (UDESC) which is apparently located in Florianopolis. They have direct ties with my school in Montreal (Concordia University - John Molson School of Business).

So again, I wanted to know what Florianopolis is like. Is there a large student population? What are the people like? How much would it cost there to rent an apartment? Etc...etc..Just in general what Florianoplis is like, because from the photos and the educational connection with my school, I am almost sold.