Hello techies. Help me out.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Belgian guy, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Hello all. I'm planning on buying a new computer around Christmas.

My budget will be around 2400 $.

I'm looking for some hardware tips from you guys?

What CPU, chipset, motherboard, memory, and drives would you all recommend?

I want to be ready for Vista, off course. And I want this new system to last me for the next three years, without having to do much upgrades, and still being able to run anything (within reason, off course) that is released within that period.

I got a few tips from people.
    For storage, most have recommended getting a motherboard with an onboard raid controller, and work with a Raid 0 configuration. I think I have a pretty good idea how that works now, but your thoughts on this are welcome.
    Also, anyone have any suggestions for a quality motherboard with a good onboard raid controller?

As for memory, I've been recommended to certainly buy memory that works at 800MHz, an no less. Anyone want to fill me in on why I should opt for this as opposed to the 667MHz variety? Also, if I should go with 800MHz, what are some good manufacturers?

As for drives, I have pretty much decided on a western digital raptor SATA 36GB @ 10.000 RPM for my OS, and then two Western digital wd5000ks 500 GB sata's for my Raid 0 configuration. Your thoughts and/or alternatives on this?

As for CPU, half of the people I have consulted have recommended me the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2.4GHz. Apparently because unlike the E6300 and E6400, this one has 4MB of cache memory, instead of the 2MB that they offer. How much of a performance advantage will this give me?

As for GPU's, I'm kind of split between the more expensive Asus NVidia EN7950GT 512 MB and the (slightly) cheaper Asus Nvidia EN7900GT 256MB. Anyone have any experience with either they would be willing to share?

One thing I have absolutely no grasp of: cooling. How many fans does a system need on average? Which kind? Where do you place them? I know there are some components that use passive cooling, how does this work, and is is effective enough?

*edit* This thread was meant for the technology subforum. Could a mod possibly move it?

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, for $2,400 I would imagine you'll get something pretty nice.

forgive me if I missed it -- but what will you be using it for primarily? gaming? video editing? internet? desktop publishing? a little of all of 'em?

that will make a difference.

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like you are building a new computer and not really buying one from Dell or something like that. It also sounds like a "power" workstation that also plays games, right?

The only thing I can add is in regards to cooling. I have a 10K Raptor in a box with two 400GB Seagate IDE drives, 1 GB RAM, AMD XP 3200 at 400 FSB, Soltek motherboard - all inside of an Antec case. The high RPM raptor gets hots, as do the two Seagates. I would definitely have a fan blowing air over the drives and a corresponding case fan in the back. I can't find the Antec case on Newegg at the moment but the drives fit into trays and slide sideways into docks. A large 4200 RPM fan keeps them cool.

A socket 754 Shuttle Mini is the most current rig I own so I can't comment on current stuff.

Definitely cool them drives, though.

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Wow... 2400 bucks you could get a helluva system for gaming, or you could get a laptop that, if you don't game, will be a great machine for many years.

Just whatever you do, if you don't already have a nice monitor, spend some dough on a nice big LCD.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'll be using it for a little of all the things you've listed. I don't game very often any more, but it happens. So I'll definitely want my system to be able to cope with the next generation of games.
    I mostly use it for internet (read: Bigsoccer. :D) and work. I also do some photo editing from time to time.

Mostly, I'm getting a new system because I can start to feel some lag here and there. Nothing too terrible, but enough for me to want to upgrade.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That's another thing I need to decide: do I go widescreen or not? It's also something I have to factor into my decision for a GPU. The Asus NVidia EN7950GT 512 MB has to DVI outputs, which means I have support for two screens.

On the other hand, what do I need two screens for on a home computer? It's not like I lack desktop space for the apps I run at home. So maybe I should just go for a single widescreen LCD monitor.

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to the light.

[​IMG]

Runs Windows too, with Parallels or Boot Camp.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Widescreen is nice for gaming and movies, but I really don't like it for work. Unless you get the really, really big ones (which have other problems), you just don't have a lot of pixels up and down. As most work and internet stuff is more up and down instead of side to side, it can be a bigger pain than you think. I like the 1600x1200 format. I think Samsung has a highly-regarded 20" model.

9. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    well ill just tell you one thing i just finished building mine earlier this year and its a pain as soon as you get a piece another better has come out.

what i recommend is:

a great mother board. that can support all of this

AMD for gamin intel for anything else make sure you get a good dual core processor and dont hold back spending money on the processor its the most important thing you can get.

RAM get 2 gigs of ddr2

get a good video card im a fan of geforce maybe get the 7950 ( unless you wanna spend 1000 bucks CAD on the 8800 )

get a good sound card maybe 100 bucks

at least a 520 Watt PS

RAPTOR drives are the future expensive but fast

dvd rw dual layer lightscibe would be great but just a normal dvd burner will do just fine

make sure you get a good monitor thats the key you cant have a great PC without a great Monitor.

also make sure you cool your system properly dont just sume its cool in there if you dont mind noise get fans if you hate the noise try liquid cooling its the way to go. f

BTW forgive me if i missed some stuff. i was in a rush

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't lightscribe just burn the label of the CD on, instead of a traditional label?

Depends what you're using it as. If you plan to be watching video or playing games, get a nicer one. If it's primarily for work purposes, there's no need to go overboard with a monitor. CRT monitors might still be better for some applications, but the flat ones use less electricity and obviously take up less space.

A radio is a great way to neutralize this issue.

11. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    yea lightscribe does that and the radio lol trust me some computers can get load. unfourtunately i know what it sounds like to have a loud comp, i started buying a bunch of fans if i knew it would be this loud i would have gotten liquid cooling.

12. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    No, for home use you will not need multiple monitors unless you are a developer, designer, or do LOTS of video editing. It's for geeks and professionals, really. Plus, a decent widescreen LCD has good enough resolution that it's practically like having two monitors anyhow.

Just make sure that if you get a big flatscreen it's not got some lame resolution. Don't settle for less than 1600x1200 native.

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you buy your components from when you're building your own computers?

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well, I won't be a lot of help there, since I'm in Belgium.

I buy most stuff from www.forcom.be, but I think they only work and deliver within the Benelux.

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really cheaper to build yourself than buy ready-made? Whenever I do the match, I don't see that it is.

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, when I did the same comparison a while back I got the same answer.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I figure I'll post here rather than open a new thread. But I will almost definitely be buying a new laptop in January.

I've had my desktop since 2002 and it still does a decent job. But I've been in Law School for 3 semesters now and am hoping to do a summer abroad program in 07. I'd really like to be more mobile and be able to take my computer to school and on short vacations with me, and I especially think I'll need one during my summer abroad.

I will likely be spedning in between 2,000-3,000 (hopefully I'll get a coupon or discount or two to help) though since I want to make sure I can run some halfway decent games on it and do some basic video editing (nothing fancy).

So I built a Dell notebook at their site and this is what I have at this point:

1.73 GHz, 2MB Ram, Windows XP Media Center - Vista ready.
    17" UXGA monitor, 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics card
    8xCD/DVDRW
    100GB Hard drive (even though it's 25 bucks more than the 160G hard drive because it has a faster access speed, I picked it because I've heard that some large hard drives have a very short productive life)
    Software - Office Small Business Edition (because it includes Powerpoint) - Office 2007 upgrade for free.
    And a 99 dollar Logitech quickcam for notebooks.

Current price: 2230

Any suggestions on upgrades or other places I should look? (Or even what I could do without).

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Apples and oranges. The cheaper ready made systems usually have some inferior components, like slightly dated memory, GPU's and CPU's. If that fits your needs, than maybe you better opt for one of those, but that way you'll also need an upgrade sooner. It really is all down to what you use the system for and how often you like to upgrade. I usually try to last at least three years with a system (current one I'll be replacing is three years and three months old).

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bump - no suggestions/recommendations?

20. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you planning to "borrow" Vista from Gates Inc?

the upgrade is only about 160 bucks right now, right?

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If I understand correctly Vista will ship on computers after January 31. I may just wait instead of deciding a month after buying whether to upgrade.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's always better to wait. Let other people discover the initial bugs and you might get a lower price on the product if you wait long enough.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Since the upgrade is free I may as well buy the computer early, wait for the upgrade and decide not to install it until some patches are out.

24. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Hello techies. Help me out.

Crucial memory and my computer manufacturer insist that my unit is capable of handling 4 GB of PC3200 DDR 400 RAM. After buying 2 matched pairs of 1 GB modules and installing them, Windows XP (SP2) doesn't recognize some of it.

When opening the System file:
    Windows recognizes only 3.25 GB
    The BIOS shows 4096 MB of RAM, with all four slots having a module with 1024 MB of RAM

750 MB of RAM is a lot of missing RAM. Anybody see this before?
    Is Windows using all 4 GB's but not acknowledging it?
    Is Windows only capable of using 3.25 GB's?
    Is Bill Gates doing this just to torture me?

Thanks in advance!

25. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States