Hello , I have a question Did Brad Friedal stop 2 penaltys at the WORLD CUP?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by toot86, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Keepers are finally playing a PK like they are at the advantage to stop the kick. Everyone used to step up with the mentality of 'This is a PK, I will get scored on, no biggy'. Now i see keepers stepping up and saying 'Lets mess with this guys head'.

One thing that I have always done, and I saw Friedel do on both of his PK's is take two steps to the side the he thought the kicker would kick to. This forces the kicker to shoot the other (non-prefered) direction. This leads to three things:
    1) The kicker is kicking to a place that they havn't practiced their kicks.
    2)The keeper is messing with the kickers head, he can go to the side the keeper stepped to still, but he thinks to himself that the keeper is right there.
    3) The keeper knows where the kicker is probably going to kick the ball to and can make the dive sooner and just hope.

So maybe, just maybe this helped in your analysis of why the PK's were being saved.

2. Omahacrew

Omahacrew New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    The only reason Friedel made those saves is because Keller signaled from the bench which direction to go, plus his gloves were missing so he wore Kellers...no way he makes those without Kellers help.

3. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    BRAD FRIEDEL = HUMAN WALL

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Friedel would never save the PK against Korea if Agoos was benched after the Portugal game.