Hello from sunny Sochi

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by whiskerxx, Jun 14, 2018.

1. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Hello from Sochi. Weather is glorious and the Portugal team have just arrived at my hotel

tudobem62014 repped this.
  2. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Our hotel is in Adler, Sochi. Very close to the stadium.
    We experienced what I can only describe as a very strange experience last night.
    Adler has a nice promenade to walk along, with some bars and restaurants.
    On the night before a game, there were people out enjoying a pleasant evening , but we didn't see any fans! Literally zero. consequently there was no atmosphere whatsoever.
    We were able to walk right up to the stadium turnstiles. Certainly no outer security ring at that time. We didn't see anyone in uniform other than a few inside the stadium.
    If anyone else is in Adler/Sochi and has had a livelier time, please post a reply and let me know where!

3. keksonline

keksonline New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    I have been there last year during the Confederations Cup and experienced the same. It is a place for beach holidays. Most people are not there for the World Cup and don't care about it. Also, since the city extends over many kilometers along the coast, hotels are not very close to each other. If you want to have world cup atmosphere, you should visit games in other cities. Kazan was great!

4. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    David don't forget that Portugal and Spain won't have any fans. Anyway by the time we hopefully get there next week the place will be swarming with Germans, Swedes, Peruvians and Australians!

5. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    In the late evening in our hotel bar there are more hookers than fans ( funny but true!!!)

6. Phil_MN

Phil_MN Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Oct 26, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sochi wasn't that lively when I attended the Olympics. I'm staying in Adler this time and expect it to be even less lively. It's very spread out. See how busy the beaches are.

7. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Portugal v Spain
    Nice stadium.
    Around 10% of seats were empty
    No outer security ring.
    Queues at turnstiles were not too bad,
    At all maybe around 10 mins an hour before the match
    Cans of Budweiser, usual place an order, open a can and pour it leads to unnecessary queue times
    Programmes available 800 roubles each

tudobem62014 and Phil_MN repped this.
  8. julitoco

julitoco Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Any recommendations for what to do during our time in Sochi/Adler?

9. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What hotel are you at?

10. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Belgium team arrived yesterday - Radisson

Found a new decent bar/restaurant on promenade last night called Chaihona.
    Apparently they have lots of places in Moscow

11. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Another day another team.
    German team arrived yesterday. All seem far more relaxed than Portugal and Belgium.
    Had the bizarre experience of Joachim Low smiling and walking up to me to start a conversation as I was standing in reception this morning. Very nice.

Can recommend Mare d'Amore for good quality breakfast at reasonable price on promenade in Adler, near to Radisson.

Also recommend a day trip to Roza Khutor for anyone with enough time to pay a visit.

12. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Will be there Saturday and Sunday for our match against Germany.
    Camp Sweden has their own restaurant just beside the stadium.
    A great time for all is guarantueed if Nizhny is duplicated.We drank all the beer there...I had to settle for dark beer at some places since they had run out of stock for lager and ales.

Thinking about going to Baden Baden pub/restaurant just off the airport to speak to german fans before the game.

Rui Patricio is good business for us.