Hell yeah, quiet side!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Repped. English might not be his first language, but no one can put it better than BBB does here.

2. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    eh, I've had smoke bombs not only dropped right under my feet, but all surrounding kinda played pass back and kept it in my genreal area, all the while looking intently at the field liek "what? ME? Feck no Its OBVIOUSLY coming from this guy!" And yes this was in the Barra, the point is that i can see no way you can get burned OR ill from a cheesy smoke bomb. Road flares, yes. Fusee's, yes. for petes sakes, maybe sparkelers, maybe. but look at those picts, those are 9th grade smoke bombs. how flaming could they have been? seems like a weak complaint.

3. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooo, ouch; a personal attack. Hee Haw!!!

;)

GM

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally we royalty prefer to remain above the fray of the unwashed masses...

;) :D

5. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I saw the smoke on the quiet side and my initial reaction was "Hey! Check that out! Cool!" With another thirty seconds' thought, my reaction was, not a good idea. That stuff has no place on the quiet side. Doing stuff on the quiet side that we are allowed to get away with in the supporters' groups (e.g., smoke, flags, standing on seats, open drunkenness, smoking, cussing) will either (a) drive away that portion of DC's fans who want a more family-friendly atmosphere or (b) cause a crackdown of that behaviour stadium-wide. Like Chico said - send him over to 135, that's where he belongs. (better yet, send the seat-poacher to the Barra ticket window and have him buy his ticket from us in the first place!)

6. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    I found it quite annoying personally.

7. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I do.

Did anyone know that Big Soccer has a minimum word count for a post? It must be five characters. I tried "yes" and got a "no" when it came time to submit reply.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    yep...

9. Beaker

Beaker Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To paraphrase:

"I love the smell of [sulfur] in the morning........It smells...like...victory."

10. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Nice in theory. Gets old real quick in practice when it happens every single week. It becomes very annoying when you show up every week and have to ask people to move - sometimes they are nice, sometimes they are dicks about it.

A tip to those truly fed up with it. Have your season tickets moved down to a section in the 100's - I'm sure you can move midseason if you want to. My wife and I moved our family down there a couple of years ago for this very reason.

What's so great about the 100s? We call it the "gated community" - to gain access to your seats you have to show your tickets to an usher you gives you entry. The seat hoppers are virtually non-existent down there and the price for tickets is no different...

The view is different - you're closer so that's good but you don't have as much of a perspective so you lose a little bit.

But if you're annoyed beyond belief by the seat hoppers I believe this is your best long-term solution...

11. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    This is one of the funnies threads I have read in a while. Makes me want to bring up small package of pyro for a game. Besides some smoke grenades, maybe I could add in a couple of star clusters, or maybe even better a flash bang. That would get the quiet side off their asses.

No clue what type of smoke grenade was used, but the type we use can cause fires when they are first lit, it is possible to be burnt without touching it, in the first second or two. After that, just lots of smoke, and don't touch the can without thick gloves.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could all be alleviated if people would just pay attention and buy the slightly more expensive sulphur-free smoke bombs (oh and don't wave them around when you first light them, as the wick burns). The smoke is very cool looking, the sulpur is not so pleasant.

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    is there an easy source for those?

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure - I can usually find them when I'm fireworks shopping - however, I don't do that nearly enough to be of help ....

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing looked like a distress marker, but it was hard to tell since it was stuck in my face and I couldn't see much for a minute or so.

Maybe I should call my buddies down at New River and they can send up some Cobras and they can shoot a bunch of White (it's actually 'red' but looks white) Phosphorous rockets into the pitch - how's that?

I could go an entire season without one smokebomb going off in RFK and I'd be perfectly happy. 4th of July is enough for me.

It's kind of disconcerting that any of that crap gets in to begin with. The next thing you know, some retard will bring in a stick of dynamite - you know, just as a joke -- he wouldn't mean to hurt anyone...

16. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    He won't be happy about that - But I did get to have a nice chat with him at the game. Welcome to the supporters side BudWiser! (and thanks for the beers)

:confused: I can see the game just fine from my seats with the supporters. I watch the whole game.

I love you Riz - that's all that matters. ;)

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If you see him send him over to 135.

18. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know, it's crazy in Italy. It started all innocent with flares and smokes long ago, you should see what they're up to now, last Saturday they shot a tactical nuke bought from former soviet republic of Ksjgsaksjdla into the pitch :eek:

Smoke bombs are to WMDs as marijuana is to heroin :D

19. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potassium nitrate and sugar makes a great (white) smoke bomb. It burns pretty hot, tho'. Now don't you kids try this at home! ;)

Oh, please -- puhleeease leave willy pete at home.

Srdan, your word association phrase sounds like a sig line!

GM

20. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard of a "gateway" WMD before. Makes about as much sense as the marijuana : heroin analogy :D

21. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to noodle the implied relationship between the female protagonist and maryjane. In fact, I'm still wondering who in the hell is the Gloria in the Barra's motto! :cool:

GM

22. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm at it, has anybody figured out why a bridge freezes in front of the road??? And why would the Dept of highways make a sign for it?

GM

23. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah, and isn't it possible to make your own homemade napalm out of gasoline and soap?

We ought to host a Barra science fair at an upcoming tailgate. Wait 'till you see what I can make out of several boxes of Sudafed and a few other simple household chemicals ;)

24. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Me too - granted, I'm usually standing on a chair to do so when the big guys decide to park in front of me, but I have no problems watching the whole match and I do so each time I'm in the stadium.

And I love you too Jess. :D