Heinrichs hired as UC-Irvine head coach

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It's an interesting job market evaluation of Ape's work - she left UVA (which went on to win an ACC title and become a national contender without her) and ends up at UCI - at the bottom of the Big West.

How many people think she'll be at Irvine next June?

2. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    It looks like she knows how to build a team, and has done so in a few places, not just UVa. Who knows, now that UNC isn't getting all the blue-chippers anymore and the West Coast is teeming with talent from the US, Canada, and Mexico, I can see with her experience and fame a lot of great recruits coming in and transforming that team. She could be there a long while; her coaching style didn't fit the national team quite well, but she can clearly coach the college folks. If anything, she could move from Irvine to a bigger program in a few years and get back up the coaching ladder, like replacing Ellis at UCLA someday or another coach (I can see a coach with Ellis' record becoming a national team coach or assistant someday).

3. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Good read, I like your the article.

4. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    This may be the least informed post this month on BS.

I will agree with you on one thing, though. Ellis' record in big games definitely could get SocFed's attention for the WNT. :eek: she's already been WNT assistant and U-19 coach (along with her dad under Ape).

And that Ape, she's a real program builder . . . [head shake] or something . . .

5. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    This job must certainly reflect her deserved lack of marketability, no disrespect to the school. Either that, or Ape so badly needs a success and ego boost that she's taken a job where there's no place to go but up.

6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another benefit- close proximity the Home Depot Center and all the National Teams...keeping her close by and on their radar.

7. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I'm sure Greg Ryan et al will want her input . . . :rolleyes:

hey mods - how 'bout joining the two threads on this?

8. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    ITA
    My favorite quote:

"I knew I would very likely go back to the college game in the right situation"

The right situation? anyone who called with an offer? Like she turned down some jr. colleges or what?

"and I think we have an opportunity to do special things at UC-Irvine,"

In other words, since the school sucked so badly, anything she does will be viewed as a success.

9. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    I thought this one was better:

"I've never traded on my name," Heinrichs said. "I'm an under-the-radar type of gal. I don't blow people away with my charisma."

10. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Actually, I wish her well. Hey, for all we know, maybe it's a match made in heaven. Ape gets to coach and live at home. UCI got on the sports pages for something positive. My feeling, is there's no reason the Anteaters can't compete with Fullerton and Northridge (to say the least). I mean, they could probably get some kids to live there from outside SoCal, ya' know?

It's good for college soccer to have her back in the game, and regardless of what I thought of her tenure with the national team she'll be bringing a really interesting set of experiences to competing at the college level. Also, UCI has a team that's not that far away in terms of quality from the rest of their league. It'll be a good coaching test to see how she does with basically Mario Cano's team.

11. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I wish her well too, but have some recommended reading for parents sending their kids to play for her.

[​IMG]

12. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    I have not heard much good things said about April. it's usually unkind criticizm of her.

13. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Not altogather nice! contradictory. you can't say some nice and turn around and interject something like that in your post.

14. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Well, count that school out for my player. (We're looking at ACC anyway).
    God I can't stand that women. The talents of her players got her the spotlight in the last year or so of her tenure. I certainly wasen't due to her coaching ability.
    my 2 cents.....