Hedge Fund

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Levante, May 12, 2006.

1. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Please Explain? Thanks!

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    From Investopedia (http://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hedgefund.asp):

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Similar concept as a mutual fund, but usually aimed for wealthy individuals (minimum contribution to get in sometime $500,000+, usually more) and they usually are very flexible and nimble with their strategies, whereas a mutual is held to they way it invests (as Sachin touched upon.)

The result is that they offer higher reward with, of course, higher risk. There are many different types. Quantitative models, discretionary, and some that deal with private placements.

Most (although not all) are smaller than mutual funds with the amout of assets they manage so they can get in and out of positions quicker and move the $$$ around to different areas of teh markets where they see opportunity, where is a large mutual fund cant get in and out of positions without adversly affecting the market. It simply takes longer. That is why you see some funds close themselves off to new investors.

For an anology, think of a mutual fund being a large cruise liner trying to change direction, vs. a hedge fund being a speedboat changing its course on a dime. Their size and regulatory loopholes allow them to maneuver the markets at a much quicker pace.

4. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Guys... My fiancee and I say Thank You.

5. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Speaking oif hedge funds. Here is an old article I dug up that kind of delves into one of the largest and successfull hedge funds on the street SAC (named after the founders initials.) They are based out of CT and only hire the best and brightest, and they are very successfull.

This will give you a little insight into their particular style.

Back when I worked on the Deutsche Bank NASDAQ floor, we used to handle a few of their orders. But you would never try to trade against them b/c you would get killed 90% of the time. So basically we would just try to get out of any position we had ASAP and take a small loss. Basically accomodating them hoping for better orders in the future.

http://businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_29/b3842001_mz001.htm

6. KneeKey

KneeKey New Member

May 26, 2006
    in a box
    thats nuts!!

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Some of that danced very close to being insider trading.

8. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Absolutely. Its basically exploiting and advantage that the retail investors doesnt have access to. I have no idea why it hasnt been addressed (political/lobbying I am sure,) but I see them cracking down on this in the near future.

The SEC has constantly gone after segments in the financial world historically, and cracked down (sometimes years after the exploitation takes place.)

But I see this coming next.

9. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Front-running is already illegal. It's just ignored because you'd have to charge 99.9% of the industry.

10. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, but front running is when you have a CUSTOMERS ORDER in hand, and you trade ahead to benefit yourself by using the orders pressure to move the market.

example: you have a large buyer of a relatively liquid stock and you go buy 5000 shares and THEN start working on the customers order to buy 500,000 shares, knowing that buying more will bid up the price to your advantage. and then you dump it. Legally once you get that order you must service the client first. Now if you suspect he will call you, that is fair game to try to "buy ahead."

What the hedge funds do is simply pay to get what the biggest calls on the street will be. THen trade accordingly. Not much different, and that ethical, I agree, but really not front running.

11. rich4495

rich4495 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I actually run a hedge fund blog and just stumbled on this post while looking for something educational to add to my hedge fund library online. If anyone is looking for more videos or original articles on what hedge funds are or current trends feel free to browse what I have written. Here are a few of the articles on hedge funds in general:
    I also have a free PDF book on hedge funds you can download for free. Hope this all helps!