Heaven's XI vs Earth's XI

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, Mar 26, 2016.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ah, ok thanks mate. I'll look into that versus mode and there could be two more games to follow then. If that is available on FM2015. If I need tips I'll be back to ask you!

All of them except Puskas I think seemed to celebrate the goals though (maybe he missed some Hungarian colleagues....as Bozsik came on just in the first game after the team were 4-0 up already!).

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The way they played at Real Madrid would fit better with what you had originally I'd say, although it wasn't strictly a WM by then (around the time of the 1960 WC Final). In the FM game I made Puskas the age he was around the time of the 'Match of the Century' in 1953 though, and Di Stefano as per about 1957 (hence I went with the hair rather than bald head....I'm not sure why I didn't choose black hair for Maldini now though as that'd be the closest match surely, and I think Zidane and Garincha's skin colouring was a bit off after I chose their origin ethnicity rather than just go white and mixed/black respectively....and I'm sure I made Zidane too tall in relation to Ronaldo for example!).

Also in the famous Hungarian team though, Puskas was like a twin striker or support striker I suppose, moreso than a midfielder anyway. So on balance I'd possibly stick with what you had although Di Stefano could surely go into the centre forward role yeah whether he still played as false 9/deep lying striker, or just as a complete forward or even poacher (to use FM terms again!). Eusebio played when 2 up front was common, but I reckon he could try that role in a WM with some success as he did often go deep to get the ball and carry it forwards.

3. Raute

Raute Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I understand why people regard Puskas as Center Forward. many people think Hidegkuti and Di Stefano played like false 9. while they withdraw, Puskas were going forward with his partner(Kocsis, Rial, Del Sol, etc). but I just say about diagrammatic, not actual formation, so I place Puskas on Inside Left. meanwhile, I belive Benfica/Portugal used WM and Eusebio was Inside Right.

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think Eusebio was more like a support forward than we sometimes assume (but had traits of out and out centre forward too) but I think it was mainly him and Torres up front. Maybe in the early days he was in a proper WM at times (not fully sure) but as RoyoftheRovers pointed out to us when he used to post here even in a WM different inside forwards could be given different roles and one might be playing more like a midfielder (when Coluna was inside forward that would apply to him I'd say for example; Rivera at AC Milan but again for most or all of his time there they wouldn't really be playing WM at all even if he was called an inside forward quite a bit).

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ah, I see versus mode is an online thing.

Maybe sometime I could set up a password and invite you to play me as one of those teams! But not sure if you have FM15 as I assume FM16 doesn't have the capacity to allow you to join FM15 games online....

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm having a go with some pre-season tournaments now instead....

Everton are hosting the Cruyff Cup (also featuring Tottenham, plus Juventus and Atletico Madrid):
    Inbox_  Inbox-14.png

Before that Tottenham will host the All-Time Cup, with Everton, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid invited. They had a pre-season game vs Barcelona arranged but I don't want two Messi's on the pitch!

The players might get a bit knackered unless I re-edit their fitness etc, but I wanted to get these tournaments in before Everton are due to play Southport in a friendly I can't cancel.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Football Managers bookmakers can't separate the squads it seems, making them both evens joint favourites for the Premier League (which I'm not planning to play through):
    Inbox_  Inbox-15.png English Premier Division_ Overview Season Preview.png
    Best and Cruyff picked out as the players to watch for Heaven XI/Everton (and it's Pele, the media's player to watch, and Maradona, for Tottenham/Earth XI).

I guess that all means the squads are pretty evenly matched based on the data I entered anyway.

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Heaven XI trying out a diamond system, with Cruyff in the hole:
    Bayern v Everton_ Away Team Selection Overview.png
    And Earth XI a Christmas Tree, which puts Maradona as an AM rather than CM, and Beckenbauer as a CM rather than DM:
    Tottenham v R. Madrid_ Home Team Selection Overview.png

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hmm, Heaven XI and Earth XI to meet again....in the consolation game!
    All-Time Cup_ Matches Fixtures & Results.png
    I can upload the Tottenham goals later, but my decision to just make like for like subs and not shut up shop helped Real come back and Cristiano Ronaldo complete his 'revenge' on me for not putting him in my squad lol!
    Cruyff got injured for Everton at the start of the second half, and then maybe I went to overload mode unwisely and Bayern took charge of that one.

I have won pretty much everything, including Club World Cup with my All-Time Forest team, but they did have an easy-ish route to their first Champions League (in the process of trying to replicate reality and add a second) with the sorts of teams I've invited to these tournaments missing and only Man United waiting in the Final. They'd also had time to build up to it, but the squad shouldn't have been overwhelming so much as the 16 players Tottenham and Everton have been given here.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

That formation was working better anyway. Messi had been in the left back area before playing the ball to Pele before the Cafu goal.
    My changes were Neeskens (Platini), Zidane (Maradona), Figo (Messi), Ronaldo (Van Basten) and Krol (Baresi).

Earth XI's changes had been aside from Schiaffino for Cruyff (with support duty); Garrincha (as right winger, on for Eusebio with Di Stefano playing as supporting deep-lying striker), Bozsik (on for Edwards and playing as defensive deep-lying playmaker higher up the pitch) and then Finney (on for Best who'd played as winger for a bit) and Charles (on for Puskas to play as advanced forward).

Earth XI have found their stride and had a 5-2 win vs Heaven XI in the Play-Off game though.
    Cruyff wasn't fit enough to start so Schiaffino played until early in the second half. Later on Garrincha and Finney came on as wingers (with Di Stefano and Best going off) and Bozsik as deeper but supporting deep-lying playmaker while Edwards went to right back as Djalma was tired.
    Beckenbauer and Cannavaro were also a bit low on fitness so Neeskens started as supporting ball-winning midfielder (and he tackled Di Stefano before starting the move that led to the first goal) and Krol took Cannavaro's place but with support duty and Baresi had defend duty. With the game won, those two came on (Beckenbauer as box to box player for Platini, Cannavaro back in CD with usual setup and Krol went to left back) and Zidane also came on as supporting advanced midfielder while Messi went into Pele's place:
    The penalty came about after Platini found Cafu and he crossed to Van Basten leading to him being fouled
    I'd intended to upload in close-up mode but forgot!

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I am giving a 4-2-3-1 a go now with the Heaven XI:
    Everton v Juventus_ Home Team Selection Overview.png
    I might switch the sides of Best and Finney at half-time, and then revert to a diamond when Di Stefano and Puskas (and probably Schiaffino, with Cruyff moving to left of diamond) come on in the second half.

Earth's XI are due to keep Neeskens in, and put Beckenbauer as a libero behind Cannavaro with Baresi having a rest. Not sure what substitutions I'm planning yet.

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The Heaven XI has gone backwards since yesterday lol, losing to Juventus now too with just a Di Stefano penalty after Djalma was brought down as a late consolation (fired into the corner like his other one but the other corner). Nilton Santos got an injury too so I put Moore at left back and brought on Charles, while putting Garrincha up front as a trequarista in place of Eusebio and making Puskas an advanced forward.

The Earth XI made the Final this time though; Pele and Platini combining to score the goals vs Atletico. Krol came on for Maldini, Baresi for Cannavaro and Ronaldo up front for Pele to play as attacking complete forward. And Zidane played narrow on the left of midfield as playmaker, on for Maradona; while Figo replaced Messi and played as attacking winger on the right, and Neeskens ended the game deeper as a DM.

So tomorrow I'll end with seeing if the Earth XI can take the Cruyff Cup, while the Heaven XI will try to at least end with a great display and goals.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh, actually the game crashed and wasn't recently saved so I'll leave things at that now!

And this thread can go back to being for line-ups and anyones vote for the Heaven XI or Earth XI (I don't think anybody has called it yet actually including me).

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do have FM15. We could give it a run sometimes. I just want to say that you don't need to play the versus mode online. You can just play as two managers on your computer. This is the best way to ensure proper competitive environment for edited teams, imho.

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ah, ok thanks mate. I'll look into it for a final game or two then, but also feel free to ask me to invite you whenever you like and I'll give that a go too. I just looked up versus mode and the references seemed to be to online play, but thanks for the tip and clarification.

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Appropriately the Versus Mode games have resulted in a Play-Off after a 5-5 aggregate score, and Cruyff was the one who took it there with a goal and assist in the last game (Schmeichel then needed to stop his team losing outright and not only the second leg though late on, wheras Yashin had made more saves over the tie before that):

Tottenham v Everton_ Home Team Selection Overview-2.png
    Tottenham v Everton_ Away Team Selection Overview.png

(Zidane on for Maradona, and Krol on for Beckenbauer as only changes near the end before the final goal by each team)
    Everton v Tottenham_ Home Team Selection Overview.png
    Everton v Tottenham_ Away Team Selection Overview.png

(Maradona on for Zidane to play in the hole at half-time, and also Ronaldo on for Van Basten. Then for Everton/Heaven Edwards had to go off so Bozsik came on and took a defensive deep-lying playmaker role while Puskas came on for Eusebio and took an attack duty, and Finney came on for Garrincha).

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I thought I'd set the Play-Off game up with the formations they'd each won a game with:
    Everton v Tottenham_ Preview Match Analysis.png
    But the Heaven XI came back down to earth, starting with a mix-up and ricochet that put Van Basten clear to open the scoring. And whether or not Messi/Maradona/Pele were talking to each other, they were definitely passing to each other, and Van Basten:

Best was injured shortly before half-time so Finney came on, and later I put Schiaffino on for Garrincha to be supporting advanced playmaker (with Cruyff going to left and Finney to right wing) and Puskas on for Eusebio with attack duty.
    The Earth XI were well ahead when Krol came on for Maldini, Zidane came on for Messi to be an advanced playmaker, and Cannavaro came on (with Beckenbauer going to box to box, Baresi taking the libero role and Cannavaro to CB).

18. Ronaldoz 9

Ronaldoz 9 Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Even though you died in 1983. I would still like to thank you for all the stuff you did, inside and outside of football. RIP, Mane Garrincha- Allegria do povo

19. Ronaldoz 9

Ronaldoz 9 Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lets get on with the xi's
    Heres Heaven xi
    [​IMG]
    Heres earth xi

[​IMG]

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That would surely be a great game with those 3-4-3's! After seeing the scores resulting from the teams I chose myself on FM, I am guessing they would be even higher if I tried it with those teams!