Heather Wilson starting early...

Discussion in 'Elections' started by taosjohn, Aug 26, 2006.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Heather Wilson started running negative TV ads on her opponent, State AG Patricia Madrid tonight.

Wilson's seat is more than in danger as Madrid has been a very popular local candidate and has the advantage of not being a honky. Wilson barely retained office against a not so impressive opponent last time out.

Reason I started a thread was to ask, is this happening around the country, or is it a Wilson strategem not GOP in general?

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Wilson went up 7/14 on KQRE with attack ads. Madrid went up 7/19 on KOB with negative ads of her own (linking Wilson to DeLay). This has been going on for quite awhile, already.

Attack ads against Democrats? No, not so much, yet. The attack ads around the country are mainly aimed at Republicans so far, because they are the incumbents. GOP negative ads will mostly come post-Labor Day. However, the other marquee district with some serious negative campaigning this early is IN08 (Hostettler v. Ellsworth).

There are several reasons why this is going on so early in NM01:

1) this is a huge race, with the district split about 50/50
    2) Madrid is a statewide figure, so she comes to the race with built-in name ID, therefore, Wilson must drive up her negatives
    3) both campaigns have plenty of money to spend here
    4) Wilson is a tenacious campaigner to begin with, and she knows she's in a dogfight
    5) most importantly, with the scandal surrounding the treasurer's office, there is tangible dirt on Madrid

Also, not that I truly believe this article, but the Tribune thinks Madrid has already lost the race. This is an archived article, dated Aug 19, so I'll only quote passages [you'll note that the author isn't exactly a fan of Wilson]:

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are here in Ohio, and the GOP are the incumbents. DeWine already went negative against Brown, actually adding fake smoke to footage of 9/11 to "drama it up" and suggest Brown is "soft on terror".

Blackwell hasn't run a positive ad yet - in the primary or general - because I don't think he's attractive to moderate voters, and he knows it.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking more about House races, sorry.

And even still, there are exceptions there. NM01 is one, as is IN08. There are a couple others (VA02, TX17) but those are either in response to attack ads or attack ads against incumbent DEMs.

But, primarily, GOP House incumbents wait until after Labor Day to start their media blitzes. Statewide races are a little different, because you need to get way ahead of the game and are usually dealing with multiple media markets.