Heath Pearce?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by hala-cosmos, Nov 8, 2005.

1. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    whats the good word on this guy?

2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    He's no Zak Whitbread.

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he a Robbie Russell?

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plays for a mid-top team in the Dannish league (which probably compares to MLS). Since arriving last year, he has started every match at Left Back. There are rumors of interest in him from the top Dannish sides and mid-level Bundesleague teams. He turned down a BL offer (forget which side, but a middle of the table side) this summer to stay in Denmark for one more year and get consistent first-team playing time. He is reported to be blazing fast with 20 second (or even sub-20 second) 200M times.

If you look at his Best XI on YA.com, he reports that he is in contact with the US National Team coaches (junior and senior) and fully expects to play for the US one day. Needless to say, he's got a high opinion of his abilities and seems to be performing up to that standard so far.

He's definately a strong one to watch for the 2010 squad.

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he's a Vanney

6. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I here this kid has impressed a lot of people in Denmark, and they expect big things to come from him.

7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never seen him play, but he seems to get very good match ratings. We are weak at left back so if he can fill the gap all the better.
    -

8. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kaiserslautern IIRC...I believe Bastia also tried to sign him.

9. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Danger Frankie Hejduk.....Danger.

10. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know until you try them out.

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Although I've heard of this kid, I frankly know little about him. He might be a revelation for this WC. Left outside back is still a question mark for our team. Hi Bocanegra. Hi Lewis. Hi Hejduk.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's not a big guy but is alleged to have run 10.85sec 100m, which would make him pretty darn fast.

BTW, the offer was to go K-lautern's junior team and so he stayed with Mit-land.

13. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info there. He made a good choice to stay home. I believe there are rumors floating around the table-toppers in Denmark are interested in him for this winter transfer window. He confirmed his 100m time in another interview I saw-- he's clearly blazing fast.

14. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I'm very interested in seeing him get some time vs. Scotland. I have never seen any video of him playing (has anyone? have any links???). But the fact that Bundesliga sides tried to sign him shows how good he is.

He is a Bundesliga level (at least) left back. And, wouldn't ya know it, the USMNT has no left back. Seems like a GREAT callup by Arena to me.

15. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
  16. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    WHOOOOO BOY will I be watching him closely on saturday.
    If this kid has an ounce of touch Hejduk should be MIA.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Jonathan Spector.

While I would prefer Jonathan in the middle, how can you say that we have no left back when we have a kid starting at left back in the Premiership?

18. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he's an excellent call-up, but unless his level of play goes up (perhaps through a winter transfer), I suspect Bruce is only thinking of him as a contingency in case of injuries on the left side. Heath lacks the international experience necessary for the WC. IIRC, he missed the U-20 WC by only a few months on his age. I'm not sure, but he may also be just above the cut-off for the Olympics in 2008. So, Bruce needs to camp him to keep him integrated in the US system-- he's out of the picture for any more youth events.

19. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Because Spector is a defensive utility man like Bocanegra, or at least that's how he gets played on the field. From what little I've seen of Spector for Charlton this season (a couple FSC games), he was playing right back. I'm sure he probably played some left back or center back as well, but I saw him at right back. For the US vs. Panama, he was right back (though he was left back vs. Jamaica). I believe he is right footed (is this true?). He can play left back, and is probably better than the out of position Bocanegra there, but he is not a natural left back. Heath Pearce may be.

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He has played exclusively at left back for Charlton since the regular season started.

21. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heath IS a left back and is unlikely to ever be anything else. JS is best suited for the left side of the center (although that conflicts a bit with a certain 6'4" 230 beast we have currently manning that spot for the Nats for the foreseeable future). John's going to make his mark with the US through his versitility. Heath, if he has a future, will only be playing LB.

We are very thin at that position, so it's not foolish to take a look at more options, even if they are young. Right now, it's pretty clear that JS is well above Heath in the pecking order (and rightfully so).

22. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true-- Frankie is far more versitile on the back line, and that counts for a lot in the 6 - 8 spots on the defenders' roster (which is why Specter should be a lock for Germany).

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Can someone who has seen him play describe his game? Pearce.

24. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I would love to see the US 8 defenders for the world cup be....

Gooch, Gibbs, Bocanegra, 2 of (Berhalter/Pope/Conrad/Marshall), Spector, Pearce, Cherundolo

Since Spector can play both sides in a pinch, Lewis can play LB, Bocanegra/Gibbs can play LB..........

there would be no reason for the surfer dude.....

If that happens it will mean that the two young pups (Spector, pearce) beat out Hejduk which IMHO would be good for our team. (not that I think that they will......I just hope they do).

25. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Yes, he is right footed. I remember watching him play left back against Portsmouth and noting how often he switched the ball over to his right foot to make a pass -- it actually looked a bit awkward to me.

Because Spector is right-footed, I think he's better suited for the right side.