Heat still a factor?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by bayernguy311, Oct 24, 2006.

1. bayernguy311

bayernguy311 New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Today on the Chronicle's website, Brian Ching discusses how hot it was in LA (as well as many other things). He says, "and no, it is not something you can get used to because it takes so much out of you each time."

http://blogs.chron.com/brianching/2006/10/brian_ching_talks_about_loss_t.html

While I realize it was hot in LA this weekend, and that it definately sucks playing in the heat, do you guys really think it's something you can't adapt to? Anyone who has played soccer in H-town...what are your thoughts?
    Personally, having grown up in Houston, and having played soccer there all of my life (which admittedly is only 20 years), I don't find it too bad. Summer tournaments are always hot, but it's something that everyone suffers through, and survives. Maybe it's just that I never lived in a less hot/humid environment, so I was born "used to it."

Just curious what you guys think. Thanks.

-bayernguy

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I really didn't think it was that hot there this weekend, at least by Houston standards. Of course, I wasn't running around on the field for 90 minutes either.

As far as getting used to it, I think you can to a point but like he said it's always going to affect you. Even if you're used to heat you'll still perform better at cooler temperatures.

3. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've played here my entire life and while the heat and humidity hasn't been a major problem as I've gotten used to it, I've found that it's starting to become more of an issue as I've gotten older.

Remember that even the most fit players will have a problem with it. Look at the World Cup '94 and the matches in Dallas (the Germany match against South Korea comes to mind). It was a killer if you were just sitting in the sun so you can imagine what it was doing to the players.

And they were some of the most fit players in the world.

4. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AS A linesman in the 80 degree heat plus, who can get dehydrated quickly and legs cramp up easily. The sweat is unbearable and sometimes it will burn the eyes. After a few weeks in the heat, sun and humidity you do feel that it gets easier at first during a new match. By the middle of the second half you need water, air, and to wet the head to cool down. The body temp reaches close to 100 and you can be miserable especially if you are accustomed to Pacific air and lower humidy.This can leave you feeling exhausted and depleted.

5. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we weren't standing in the sun either. You'd be surprised at the difference in temperature from direct sun to shade on a day like last Sunday. Temperature difference can be as much as 15 to 20 degrees easily.

That said, I have to feel that heat is something that you get use to at some point. How long it takes, I have no idea.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The very first time I have to say bullshit to one of my boys!

Hot and L.A. does not compute for a lifer Houstonian like me Chinger. I've played all sports, all the time, all weather in many places. Playing outside mid in August in Texas against a HFA side like Albion at 10:00 am....now that's a health hazard sports fans! It is so draining that within the first 20 minutes it is hard enough to pull in the air. By the 80th minute and beyond as the match came close to noon, well that's when the black Adidas cleats I have on fealt like they were on fire. Going 90 minutes in Texas summer heat is enough to question anyone sanity but L.A. away should be a walk in the park

Guys...for ********s sake! There are Nigerians that come to Houston and complain about the heat!!! If you gentlemen have been training properly, are fit and rested, have not traveleld the day of the game and have endured the first of many Augusts to come....than you lads should be ********ing legging the opposition out.

The High out in L.A. today is to be 81 and the Low of 58. So the temp has to increase the entire day up to the 80's and find a way to drop back down to the 60's as night time approaches. I don't ever want to hear about fitness as a factor for discomfort or worries when Houston is concerned. It would be one thing if our Men in Orange played indoors at Reliant and had to play outdoors on the road.

7. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say the temp in LA was pushing for one of the hotter days they've had in a month, it was high 80s, and in the sun and in the confines of a stadium, I'm sure field temps were even higher. For LA, that's damn hot. I've ref'd and played in the summer heat. It does drain you. However, I think the body does adjust to it over time, and mentally you're more prepared for it.

However, I think the biggest advantage "should be" that you've more aware of how much the heat is going to drain you, so you should have a better understanding of how to hydrate better than a cold-climate team.

I certainly learned quickly how to hydrate, and the special relationship I have with BullFrog sunscreen - I mean, they should sponsor soccer tournaments! 12 games over a saturday/sunday tournament? Even worse if you did 2 games on wed and 2 on thurs.

In other words, if you've played 10 or more games in Houston heat, and you go out to LA and it's damn hot, you shouldn't be cramping up like BMullan was. You should have had your bananas and pickle juice, along with potassium supplements, and about 4 gallons of water and 2 gallons of gatorade. I did a tourney where I drank more than 5 gallons over 2 days, and never had to go to the bathroom? Although, I did have to break out the credit card to help scrape the caked-on salt crystals off my face. Sound familiar Texas soccer players and refs?

The heat is going to drain both teams, but we should have the familiarity and have to have the mental toughness to make it a home field advantage. And when your supporter's group travels and brings the heat with them, you have to appreciate that and at least walk away with a point. :)

The biggest solution to the heat is proper recovery, which is what Ching was referring to... our boys are getting drained every home game by the heat, and then they go out and run and train in the heat, and I think it does have a long term affect on them, especially if they may not be able to fully recover week to week.

They need to work a deal with the Texans to train indoors at the bubble during the heat of the summer - so that they can recover during the week and go out (fully recovered) and battle in the heat to make it a home field advantage.

The other side that no one talks about, just like Mexico and Cali, the level of pollution and smog here is also an enemy to both teams, and with the allergies and other respiratory issues that brings, could also have a long term negative effect on our boys that they may not even consider. Beyond the elevation, I think the pollution actually gives Mexico a big home field advantage - it's two types of burn in the lungs. :)

For those that thought angry ref was a smoker, he's not, he just regularly trains to run the middle for a FIFA match at Azteca. jajajajaja!

8. bayernguy311

bayernguy311 New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    I agree with you to an extent Celt. I believe Chingy should have few grounds for complaints regarding the heat. I understand that the heat drains you...I understand that he's from San Jose (and originally Hawaii) which rarely see outrageous temperatures. But that said, there has to come a point when the guys can use our heat (and especially our humidity) to their advantage. I'm willing to give the boys the benefit of the doubt. Maybe after a season, they still haven't adapted. Perhaps they need a full offseason and a preseason to become fully adapted. But there comes a point when they've got to be saying to themselves (or Dom needs to dictate this to the team), "Look, we've got this crappy weather situation down here, but we've got to deal with it. So therefore, we should accustom ourselves to the weather, and make it difficult for anyone to leave Robertson Stadium with a point. We should be taking 3 points from almost every game down here." Hell, maybe they could even give Robertson some lame nickname like "The Swamp" or the "Pit of Hell" ;)
    I just don't want the atmosphere to become an excuse. I don't want the Dynamo becoming like Colorado and Salt Lake, who can't effectively use the altitude to their advantage. We have this unique situation, and we have to accept it and take advantage of it.

Like most of you, I've played tournaments, and practiced for high school in the mid-summer heat. Now that I'm in college, I'm glad I don't have to practice in the ridiculous summer weather in Houston, but while I was there, I knew that everyone had to play under the same conditions, so I learned how to react to the heat.

C'mon boys...quit complaining, and make the heat our friend.

That said...I still love Chingy. I could never stay mad at him. :D

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said 3-11.

My vote would go for the Rob to be Dom's "Hell's Oven". That's how I have always descirbed Houston in the summer!

When the U-20's were in town for the USSF Festival at U of H in August of '02 and again in '03. I welcomed Coach Rongen, Coach Dave Dir, Convey, EJ and the rest of our U-20 men to Texas in August. They were at the Carl Lewis Field preparing to take on Canada's U-20's and I was running game day ops for our Prez. I told them there ain't nothing like a 3:00pm kickoff in August in Texas. I welcomed them in fine Tejas form "to Hell's Oven"! Coach Dir grined as he knew what the boys were about to have to deal with.

10. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I went to that game. Clint Dempsey was playing in that game and he was the best player on the pitch that day. Man, those were the days when you desperate to watch any kind of soccer. I didn't realize Convey was on that team.

11. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I'd agree with the poster who said it gets worse as you get older. [And we have some players on the Dynamo up towards 30.] What was nothing to me at 15 or 18 is draining at my more advanced age. I now live for the onset of "true fall" at roughly this time of year, and I've taken to skipping summer leagues not held indoors.

But, then again, I no longer train and train and train for soccer, so it may mean less than I think, considering we are talking professionals here.

Ching played in San Jose and Los Angeles, so it's a little hard to buy heat and heat alone as an explanation, especially after a season here.

I'd say it was the combo of the elevated speed and tempo of play, less day-to-day exposure to heat (temps have been dropping here and elsewhere, night games are played in cooler temps), plus the heat itself.

If you look at the past few games, it was 75 for Colorado kickoff; 54 in Salt Lake; 75 for DC; 68 in Columbus; 78 for Chivas; and finally 81 for the Galaxy in LA on September 10. You have to go back a month and a half to find a game as hot as last weekend.

12. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that's an Albion side of about 3+ years ago.....heh.