Healthcare, retirement benefits and revised government accounting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JohnW, Dec 12, 2005.

1. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    This is the third article I've seen in about two weeks on this topic, so it's starting to get traction (although I haven't seen any posted here. Sorry if I missed it.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/b...d=1&ei=5070&en=c7d7f05cfba30925&ex=1134536400

I don't have any special insight on this topic, other than I expect this to be a big story for 2006. Now that it's run in Wall Street Journal and NY Times, I expect the local papers to start running it as the cities and states release the numbers.

Well, I guess I didn't have enough to worry about already. Happy New Year!

2. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I question the line in the article about virtually none of the governments offering these benefits have looked at the long term cost impact of these benefits. I've spent the last six and half years working with employers (public and private) on analyzing their increasing healthcare costs and unless my clients happen to be outliers, they are very concerned and are aware of the growing bill for these benefits.

That's why we have seen the average cost share paid by employees for healthcare rise from about 15% in the late 90's to about 35% currently. I'm sure there are some that have ignored the problem but I think the Times are exaggerating their point by saying "virtually none" of them have looked into the problem.

3. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While government bodies can pass the costs on to the taxpayers, just like corporations you will see them drop promised benefits. It doesn't seem right that a promised benefit which is really one reason people choose to work at a place can later be taken away.Coporations didn't put away money for retiree health care or pensions for that matter and are now declaring bankrupcy to avoid paying. Governments don't want to raise taxes so a lot of them will cut promised benefits.

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda blows the whole "managed care = cost savings" argument, doesn't it?

5. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need nationalised healthcare. I know that every free market Reep will gasp at such a suggestion but if we are to compete with other nations in trade and not bankrupt our government this is the only solution, IMHO.

And before people start pointing out the problems and failings of other countries' healthcare systems, I'd like to remind everyone that this is the US of A. We pride ourselves on hard work and ingenuity. With a little American know how we can build an efficient, effective system that will be the envy of the world.

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason nationalised healthcare has gone nowhere in this country is because the pharmaceutical and insurance companies throw massive amounts of money at politicians to maintain the status quo.

To my mind, we'll never have national healthcare until we have real campaign finance laws.

7. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Yep, it's easy. Simply require every pol who receives a contribution to post is on their website within 24 hours. Nothing more than that. Then all we have to do is follow the money and we know who is buying whom and for what reason.

Campaign Finance laws, a la McCain/Feingold, only bought us 527s, and we know how wonderful those turned out. :rolleyes:

8. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    You mean so the same folks who "manage" SSI can get us a similar return on our health care investment, er, I mean, insurance?

9. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    A local talk show host, who is also a major financial wizard with Wachovia Securities, has been saying for months that businesses and government agencies from United Airlines to city governments, need to come clean on the benefits they have offered. IOW, the benefits are NOT going to be there. He postulates there may be less than 60% of promised benefits that will actually be paid. Much of this is due to terrible investment decisions on the part of managers who were not qualified to make those decisions.

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only ROI you get from healthcare is happy, healthy workers. I suppose you could measure that in terms of productivity gained, but that's about it.

The profit model for healthcare has done nothing but increase costs and explode the number of uninsured. We could scarcely do worse under a federalized plan.

11. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    Between Healthcare promises and pension funds for workers, many a company.... and retired worker are in for a rude awakening.

Paul

12. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Whether you pay premiums or taxes, you still must have someone making the decisions. You still have to pay doctors for services. Are they to expect a major cut in pay in order to reduce costs?

13. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Exactly. :(

14. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I guess what's "new" for me is that we've heard many stories about companies using bankruptcy to reduce retirement benefits--whether defined pension or healthcare obligations. And we've also heard for years about unfunded liabilities, potential cuts in Social Security (or large tax increases), etc.

It's nice to know that the local and state governments are getting in on the action. :rolleyes:

15. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OASDI has a 1% overhead cost. OASDI isn't an investment program. OASDI is a successful government program. If Bushco hadn't created a $10 trillion downturn in our government's fiscal health the Social Security argument would never have happened.

16. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    We've been down this road before. It doesn't matter what you call it, we all have to pay for the cost of healthcare. Your rip on Bush has nothing to do with the fact that the ROI is lousy. Why does anyone think that socialized medicine will be any better, or even the same but cheaper, if the government manages it? The government has no history of being able to deliver on this kind of promise.

17. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    If the standard of care weren't becoming more and more expensive then we could afford to keep these people insured. However the standard always rises to the level of money available. Who here would be willing to limit these employees' level of care to what it is today? That's the crux of the problem. No one (at least not a majority) are willing to limit the growth in the quality of healthcare.

18. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask yourself how well do you think the current administration would manage a national healthcare system and then see if you still want it.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need Super-Hillary to save the day on the health care debacle in this country.

20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have super grover

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    One of the biggest obstacles to nationalized health care is the US's general unwillingness to get serious about smoking cessation. The next big step then is to tax them to fund the program.

22. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Yep, I agree. Except I have no confidence the money would stay in the program. Also if you increase the tax to raise money to encourage people to quit smoking, you will wind up with a program that is self-defeating.

And let's add alcohol consumption, that is right behind tobacco in terms of health costs.

STDs are also about voluntary actions that run up the cost of health care.

Those are the top 3. Do that and the cost would go down for all. I'm serious...but none of it will happen.

23. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Compaines amd city governments do have to be honest in what they do offer to their members. Some of the problems with health insurance plasn is that they often cover things that may not be needed by the customer. Small things like that snowball into much bigger costs in the long run.

Universial health care is not the answer. Such a program would require massive infusions of money that just simply isn't avaliable. You would also have to decide which level of government runs it. Would it be the federal level or the state level? What gets covered and by how much?

Everyone thinks that there is a solution but there isn't.

24. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Are you drunk?

25. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club: