Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    And people are worried that Biden won't be able to stand up to this guy. Trump literally could not state one way in which he could make health care better. Not one. The audience knew that. Even though they were Trumpsters, they were meh on the applause, because even they realized he had been caught out.

sitruc and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was kinda like the Revs approach to signing foreign "star" players in the Mike Burns era. They would bring in guys who might have been OK at best, but not great (what DP-type player is gonna sign for $200k?). When they weren't lighting up the league, Burns would jettison them, with the idea of bringing in someone better next year. More often than not, the new guys were not as good as the ones we let go.

Obamacare wasn't perfect, but it could have been made to work better with some tweaks. it was the start of something in the right direction. In how many years since it came out, have the Republicans even so much as talked about a legitimate plan that could make healthcare better?

You might think that after all this time, they'd be fixin' to start thinking about having a meeting to determine if they need to form a task force to study a proposal that hasn't been thought out yet, but we all know they aren't even that far along. Not even at the "fixin'" stage just yet.

Chesco United and usscouse repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Meh. #bothsidesdoit

4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If Republicans were running the the team they would try to convince you that the team was better as the New England Tea Men and try to repeal MLS.

Dr. Wankler and JohnR repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Oh, I assumed they all did that. :D

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI - The week after the flu is worse that the fucking flu itself...

My vision is so blurry, Aimer, NorthEnd Diva looks doable

russ, Funkfoot, Q*bert Jones III and 2 others repped this.
  7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    $300 million to 10 CEO’s of health industry...!!!
    Give the 300 million population of the us a million each....... O wait!

one of my prescriptions costs me $114 every couple of months.

Annual financial filings compiled by AxiosFriday show that 10 of the nation’s top healthcare CEOs took home more than $300 million in combined pay in 2019, compensation that Sen. Bernie Sanders denounced as “outrageous” and indicative of the industry’s greed.

“While Americans continue to pay, by far, the highest prices in the world for prescription drugs, the top 10 healthcare CEOs made over $300 million in compensation last year,” tweeted Sanders, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/fi...e-ceos-raked-in-combined-300-million-in-2019/

dapip repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Limit executive compensation to 100x the salary of their lowest paid employee and you'd see worker pay skyrocket. ;)

usscouse, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  9. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don’t ever say that again

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm surprised bigsoccer doesn't have a filter to catch that.

The Devil's Architect and stanger repped this.
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, the Revolution hiring Walter Zenga as a player-coach isn't much different than a typical Trump appointment.

I wish I could remember who said it, but my favorite comment on the early years of MLS was somethimg like, "With the possible exception of Gazza, there's no footballer on the planet less cut out for coaching" than Walter Zenga.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That statement alone should tell you that the fever doing all the posting / tweeting right now

song219, xtomx, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Careful with the tweeting, then. You might emerge as a front runner for a Trump cabinet post.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I turned down Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs

song219, xtomx, ElJefe and 2 others repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Apparently Bernie is into something:

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-san...eate-jobs-new-economic-analysis-shows-1490800

A new analysis of the economic impact of a Medicare for All health care reform, like the signature policy proposal of Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, suggests that such a plan would not only increase wages for workers but also create additional jobs.

Sanders, a progressive senator from Vermont who is currently a close second to former Vice President Joe Biden, the Democratic frontrunner, has long advocated for a universal or single-payer health care system. Critics argue that such a policy would lead to mass job loss and be an economic drain on the country, but the new analysis published Thursday by the Economic Policy Institute (EPI) suggests the opposite would happen.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that was renowned MLS expert Paul Gardner, but at the time he wasn't wrong. I remember going to a practice when Leonel Alvarez ran the show like a coach would. Of course, he could only speak Spanish, so the English-speaking players were not involved. Meanwhile, Zenga the player worked out on his own. Even "old" he was in great shape. He could jump over a track hurdle with both feet together several times back and forth.

The funny thing was, Zenga actually learned a few things after his first gig, as he was successful with I think Steua Bucharest and did well in Europe with them. That was a few years ago, and I dunno if he's still coaching these days/

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a boss that loved to talk about himself and the challenges that he was facing (real or imagined). He was basically Trump without the sociopathy. But all the narcissism.

song219 and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Assistant to the Secretary for Indian Affairs

il_570xN.1651575248_6yy4.jpg

The Devil's Architect repped this.
  19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Photoshop That Shall Not Be Posted is now old enough to vote.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know people like to use job loses as an excuse to not do it, but IMO that is dumb (other than those people do vote), even if this means less people working on healthcare, if it is still cheaper then that should not be a worry.

Kind of like fracking or the oil/coal industry, job loses should not stop a policy.

This one is kind of iffy, it is assuming that the savings on healthcare costs would be passed on to employees in term of wage increases and not just go to pay more dividends or cash buybacks.

The economic policy institute is a lefty organization, but it does not mean they are wrong, I am sure their numbers will be fact checked, we will see how they stand up.

https://www.epi.org/publication/medicare-for-all-would-help-the-labor-market/

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not to mention usually hypocritical, since opposition to M4A tends to come from Republican business types who normally regard job losses from increased efficiency as a good thing.

xtomx repped this.
  22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If only we could run a large scale test to determine if lowering a portion of business expenses results in a significant increase in employee wages rather than a significant increase in profits. But I am hopeful that the benefits will indeed trickle down as the M4A advocates say they will.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't support Ml4A unless it was accompanied by a law that effectively moved all previous corporate expenditures on health care into a an M4A kitty. Otherwise, forget it, the companies will pocket their savings, and the government/people will be left holding the bag.

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I wouldn’t support M4A because eventually Republicans will control the House, Senate and the Whitehouse again

25. This is why (responsibly acting) authorities try to contain the virus.
    https://www.trouw.nl/zorg/wat-als-we-het-coronavirus-zijn-gang-laten-gaan~b0acc14b/

If we Dutch let the virus have it's way it will mean the total collapse of our health system.
    If 50% of the Dutch get the virus it means 8.5 million sick Dutch, of which 14% get so ill they must be taken to a hospital, meaning 1.2 million Dutch.
    6% probably need intensive care which means 510,000 patients, while we only have 2000 IC beds.
    This would end in massive deaths, not only of corona patients, but also of those needing urgent hospital treatment or IC care.
    The numbers for other countries can be calculated from this.

How is the US gouvernment doing it's job keeping you save?
    Do we have to close our borders for Americans?