head coach ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by juvechelsea, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don’t think there’s an argument to be had that the ‘16 offseason wasn’t the high watermark in terms of post AEG effort. It was all downhill from there though.

2. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i am saying he ain't even a pimple on the weak brener, yet, based on brener at one point tried and assembled a playoff/USC team. it was borderline but it wasn't complete trash.

that's not revisionist history when you haven't done sh*t yet at all. that is the 300m low hurdles or the steeplechase. are you as good as our worst owner. we're not even talking big boy 110 hurdles up as high as they go. before we submit you to that let's watch him actually jump the low ones. as in spend some money.

he has to start spending before we can compare. otherwise this is even trashier so far. i most certainly am not going to start throwing a parade for revenue rumors as this offseason continues to concretely suck.

you're confusing a revenue stream with spending. refer back to the dallas transfer windfall discussion. i asked they have a good academy and serious money coming in but aren't much better than us, how does that happen. difference between revenue and payroll.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    difference is Cherundolo was promoted to the parent team which means the record was secondary to development and what they saw/wanted. I’d say LAFC has a better idea of what he brings than we do of Nagamura

*rey* repped this.
  5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #230 juvechelsea, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    re "rehabilitating" either Late Kinnear or Brener, i am not saying either was great. i am making a point about the trend line of the team. that struggling era kinnear is better than coyle, cabrera, or ramos. that coyle was better than ramos. that ramos is as bad as it's been. is nagamura even that good? a theory of steady dissipation. we obviously don't know on nagamura, yet, but on paper, no bueno. to be fair, we shall see. to be fair to me, thus far, i have little hope. this is not a red line competitive unit in any way.

we used to complain about AEG, but that's better than Brener. "give it time" is fair enough -- same point as above, we don't know it for a fact, yet -- but based on GM, HC, signings so far, transfer rumors, there was maybe one guy worthy of brener's decent team. that's my comparison. in terms of concrete acquisitions, so far it's worse than the team that just made us angry.

they want to shut me up? fine. they haven't finished the offseason or played a game. but my response is all i can judge is the people you bring in, and they ain't sh*t so far. you're like, but there's this gambling thing we may be doing. fair enough, but right now that's rumor and it sure as heck isn't spend. until you spend i will compare you to your predecessors. not favorably yet.

i am a soccer fan and not a business fan so i will get excited when they spend money on players as opposed to sign revenue deals. i follow the implicit connection but that's playing their game. oh, they may soon have money, maybe they can spend now. dude just bought a soccer team. why do we need OPM to increase payroll from abysmal. i thought he was bringing resources. maybe i need to parse those speeches closer.

i emphasize this because revenue streams come and go and i worry if we get out of the hole if the owner is as cheap as before. if the spend is all OPM then that means don't ask him for capital to sign people. that means limited resources. we get $2m a year for this deal? payroll goes up some % of $2m. i kind of thought he would be throwing in, that we wouldn't as default be back at presale numbers.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #231 juvechelsea, Jan 3, 2022
    i thought brener buying more was 10/16 and not 15. fair enough. your fact nitpick is accurate. however, those familiar with the team would know that 2015-16 offseason was a fairly active period as well -- if less successful. keyner brown, arboleda, escalante, miranda, the two guys from spain. torres comes in. second iteration in 2016-17, machado, leonardo, quioto, DLG, sanchez, senderos, martinez, elis, cabezas.

it is fair to some of these turned out lousy, particularly the first wave, but there was movement.

manotas is also slightly before this era. but there is a momentum one can see here. something being assembled.

you can nitpick the dates but the point is that the new ownership got to work. i do not see the same level of effort. i do not see the same intent to address problem areas. we aren't aggressively fixing the offense. or the defense.

we know with the benefit of time the defense was too old, but it was briefly fixed to a semi effective level where it took seattle to break it, and could hold together ok for USOC. we know with the benefit of time the offense had its limits, but for a period we had a 10 with double digit assists, had 4 forwards in capable of double digit goals. we then mishandled their transfers out in financial terms, and couldn't replace the quality level.

we also know with the benefit of time that while OK this team was fairly cheap and as we stayed cheap but picked worse it went to complete trash. i am not holding this up as a template. this is the low opening bar for the high jump. i am asking can we even clear this semi effective level. you don't do that you're not in the game as the bar goes up and up. 2017 was a 4 seed flattered by injuries on other teams, but in recent years, that's a high water mark.

you can post gambling revenue rumors til you are blue in the face, i am a soccer fan waiting for the same tingle the marginal 2017 team gave off. since your guy isn't really getting players, so what about revenue so far. i thought as an owner he might spend, shock, some of his money. and i am going to keep the spotlight on the soccer team. what has he done for the soccer team. i'm not going to play his game and reference revenue rumors because we've recently been discussing you don't necessarily have to spend that on the team.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #232 juvechelsea, Jan 3, 2022
    last point, you're like, wait a little bit more. i just watched a team with 1-2 DPs total (out of 3) spent, for a full season. we sold elis, what, summer 20? manotas winter 20? i think i am plenty patient. most teams don't take years to fill DP slots. most fans don't have to watch a team be dead last, not fill their DPs fully, dead last again.

he's had the team half a year and you're talking future revenue and changes on down the line.

and i get that as fairly serious fans we spend some time on inside baseball, in significant part to understand why the soccer part sucks. i'm not really interested in inside baseball announcements as substitute for soccer ones. i get what you're saying it may foreshadow, but it's a business move not necessarily with a direct relationship. i want soccer announcements. i am bored with hoping some business announcement will lead to better soccer releases. i want to talk soccer. i get this is houston but sponsoring soccer is not spending soccer payroll. wake me when they sign people.

i also find the discussion a little disconcerting, it's like pro-org people saying i am being harsh for judging a soccer team by the soccer decisions. "haven't you heard of this inside baseball rumor?" feels like distraction to me. if i were them i'd be wanting to talk business and not soccer too.

8. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Who has had a year and a half? Not Segal, definitely not Onstad. Who are you referring to here unless it’s the club in general? Also regarding business talk you were the one that asked about business deals.

9. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I also really like the idea of promoting from within your own organization. Doesn't happen enough in sports it seems.

Westside Cosmo and CeltTexan repped this.
  10. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Juve, have you, from time to time ever found yourself on a street corner downtown holding a sign and yelling esoteric things at nobody in general? I only ask because where there's smoke....

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed!
    Or how about hiring Houston soccer folks that grew up and live here in Houston to run our Houston MLS club. Shocking I know.

12. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    It is hard to imagine that in a Metropolis this big we can't find some local talent to run our club.

CeltTexan repped this.