HDNet... Why?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by AlecW81, Jun 16, 2007.

1. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has it. Including every sport's bar within a 90minute drive from me (an area that includes Asheville, NC - Greenville, SC - Spartanburg, SC - Knoxville, TN, and even Charlotte, NC if I haul ass).

So tell me why MLS would sign a deal with them, with the knowledge that maybe 5 people, including that douchebag Mark Cuban, have the capability of actually watching matches on HDNet?

In their infinite wisdom, MLS also decided to blackout matches from MLSnet that are on HDNet. Yeah, way to grow the game Garber.

I know rights-fees are a great thing for the league, but not at the cost of excluding about 99.5% of your fanbase.

Now I'll just have to listen to the game online and visualize the Fire hacking the hell out of Gomez, only to have Ben ring up another hat-trick.

2. Buckscounty Mark

Dec 6, 2006
    Quakertown, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of DC united games on MLSnet pisses me off as well.

3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can get a dish, both systems have it.

The league receives money for it

And if you can get it, it really is unbelievable.

4. bigbusta

bigbusta New Member

May 15, 2007
    it is pretty, watching right now

5. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    sorry buddy, im in charlotte and i've got hdnet and it is beautiful. most sports bars dont have it because most sports bars dont have hd televisions. however, in uptown, i think daddy's has a slew of plasma (im assuming hd) televisions - i bet they get it

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I love the fact that games are on HDnet, the quality is second to none.

7. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HD is the best thing I've spent my money on this year. I saw the game today and it looked awesome. BTW, I think anyone with HD service gets HDnet

8. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    theres some sports fans in the country that just like watching stuff in HD...Im sure random people were watchin...i hav the channel, but was watching my red bulls...

where else will that 4th national broadcast come from? we got espn/abc, fsc, telefutura......gol tv prob cant cauz of fsc, sooo....i really cant think of anything else right now (worldsport hd is only on dish net, so everyone else would be excluded more than they are now with hd net)

9. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing new to add here, but last week was the first time I watched MLS on HDNet and it was unbelievable. I don't know if I'll ever get directv, but damn that was nice. I'll have to go up to my friend's parents house more often that's for sure.

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    HDNET rocks!!! I love it. go buy a dish and get over it.:rolleyes:

11. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    I have been watching MLS on HDNet from day one. My cable company TW just added ESPN-2 in HD as of last week. I used to watch WorldSports via VOOM which no longer around, but since then I have the Dish which carries some of Voom channels including WorldSports in HD which they show LA LIGA games live or repeat 3 or 4 times a day in 1080i HD. Real M game tomorrow with David Beckham last game will be shown live in HD on WorldSport.
    Soccer and HD, a match made in HD heaven.

12. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because everyone has the disposable income for DISH and an HDTV :rolleyes: If you've got an extra $2k feel free to send me a cashier's check.

13. FC Dizzle

FC Dizzle Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    i have it. and its amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing

14. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HDNet came in the same package as FSC for me so no big deal for me.

15. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    i just switched from cox cable to directv. pretty much the same price except installation and the hd dvr made installation like 150. people complaining about the price are misinformed.

anyways, cox only gave me fsc and no hd net. now i have hdnet, fsc, gol, setanta, and fse. i love that they include fse with the sports package, not the spanish pack.

the fire united game looked amazing today.

16. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Word.

Best picture of all my HD channels.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ah yes, the uber-technically advanced triangle of Spartanburg, Asheville and Knoxville doesn't have a lot of HD options.

There's a shock. I guess having HDnet isn't a priority in all those doublewides.;)

18. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, some of us don't get CSN or Direct Kick, either. You guys lose three games this year. Not having access to the other two, I know the rest of the season has TEN dates I can't see. There are worse things in life than no HDNet.

But yeah, HDNet picture (and production quality) is faaaaaantastic.

19. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    HDNet is the reason I won't buy the Direct Kick package next year.

20. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    After getting to watch the FCD-LA game last weekend on HDNet, and comparing it to the fsn broadcast, it's not just the picture quality that's better. They really do every aspect of the broadcast better than any other station. Much better camera angles on plays, wider angles that let you see more of the field, and good announcing(except for Balboa)

21. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I have it too -- DC United and the Fire looked very good in HD last night.

22. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Time Warner Cable offers HDNet as well. MLS games in HD cannot be beat. Thank you, Mark Cuban.

23. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just got HD this year and the quality is incredible. But what's with the white stripe going across the screen?

24. untitled77

untitled77 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I have Verizon Fios which has HDNet. The games do look amazing. The problem with FIOS TV is that InDemand (which is owned by the cable companies) hasn't/won't strike a deal for the Direct Kick package with FIOS.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition, they have the best halftime shows going - I actually want to watch each one.