HDnet now on DISH!

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by ElJefe, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of this past Tuesday, HDnet (your HD home of MLS games) is now on DISH Network.

On Tuesday, DISH launched its new HD Package for $9.99/month, which currently includes Discovery HD, HDnet, HDnet Movies, and ESPN HD.

For the time being, those channels are on the 110 degree satellite, so anyone who's got the 6000 HD receiver, the 8PSK module, and a regular 20-inch DISH 500 satellite dish can get those channels. However, some time next year, DISH will be moving those channels to another satellite and you'll need to install their newer SuperDish, which they'll be release in the next couple of months.

They've said that they'll add more channels to the package, but I'm sure that they won't add them until they start selling the SuperDish, and even then, I'm sure they'll add those new channels on the new satellite, to get more people to get the SuperDish.

I signed up for the new HD pack the other day and here are my first impressions:

* Discovery HD is nothing like regular Discovery Channel. For one thing, they're 100% HD and there's not much HD stuff out there, so on any given day, they'll show that day's block of programs about four or five times. But the stuff they're showing is high quality.

* Other than the MLS games, HDnet shows a lot of crap. Again, not much HD content is out there, and HDnet is still kind of a low-budget operation that can't develop a lot of its own programming, so they show some of the cancelled shows from the past few years that the networks filmed in HD, they show some documentaries, and they show some sports other than MLS. Not anything major league though. They do show some college football.

* HDnet Movies is a bit uneven. On the one hand, they show a few good movies. On the other hand, I turned it on the other day and they were showing Stroker Ace in HD.

* Finally, there's ESPN HD. They pretty much show what ESPN is showing. But unlike most of the over-the-air channels who show their SD content with black bars on the side, ESPN HD s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s it out to the 16:9 format. And right now, they only show a few games a week in HD (and Playmakers -- how could I forget), so for the most part you're basically seeing ESPN stretched horizontally.

So, is it worth $9.99 a month? I guess so, but just barely. If you want to see the MLS games on HDnet (which are really well produced -- Fox Sports World should take notes) or the few things a week that ESPN HD actually shows in HD, then yes.

As for the rest, it depends. If you're a movie buff,HDnet Movies will hardly make you forget HBO or Showtime, both of which are carried on DISH in HD. A similar criticism applies to HDnet, which has interesting documentaries, but a bunch of reruns of shows that were cancelled by the big networks in the last few years.

About the worst thing I can say aboutDiscovery HD is that it repeats its daily fare of programming ad infinitum. However, the programs that they are carrying are top-shelf stuff.

In the end, however, I signed up, at least for a while.

2. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    Thanks for the info. I've been holding off switching to Dish from cable because I wanted to get HDNet and all of the new equipment, especially, the Super Dish. However, maybe it's time I forget about HDTV and just everything else. I'm only getting FSW now from 11:00AM to 5:00PM Monday thru Friday. No weekends or evenings. And I really want GolTV, too.

Thanks again for your review.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Dustin,

Just so I understand this, when ESPN HD is showing native HD material, it looks fine right? Its only when they are upconverting non HD material (native 4:3) do they perform the stretch?

Andy

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right.

Really, I don't see much reason to watch ESPN HD except when they're showing an HD event. And right now, that's pretty much just Sunday Night NFL, the Saturday night college football game, and Playmakers. Eight hours a week by my reckoning.

I read somewhere that eventually, they're gonna start taping SportsCenter in HD. Which will be big news to all of you out there who like MILFs and have been eagerly awaiting the debut of Linda Cohn in HD.

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget about the bikini contests which are occasionally on HDNet.

Whoa, I was just browsing http://www.hd.net/schedule_sevenday.html -- when did they start showing Square Pegs? I haven't watched since DirecTV started charging for it (same package as Dish, same price, started charging for it September 1, HDNet was free before that) -- I was going to buy in when they have the SJ/LA games in October.

6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dustin,

Are you going to be getting the 921 HD PVR?

I want it yesterday but I also fear it may be buggy.

Andy

7. cREWBILLY

cREWBILLY New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Cincinnati
    Insight Digital in Lexington is also adding HDnet for what its worth.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been doing a bit of thinking about this lately.

I've got a stand-alone TiVo hooked to my DISH system. I like it a lot. I would never trade it for any of the crappy PVRs that DISH sells. Problem is, it only does SD. But TiVo is coming out with an HD unit next year. Problem is, it's going to be integrated with a DirecTV receiver. But according to people who have gotten an inside look at it over on the various boards, it'll have two DirecTV tuners and two over-the-air tuners.

Thus, my dilemna. Do I

* stick with TiVo and eventually get the HD DirecTiVo unit, necessitating a complete switch over to DirecTV, or

* stick with investment that I've made in DISH equipment and forfeit ever getting an HD TiVo?

I'm leaning toward the first option. For the moment, I'll just stick with what I've got and not upgrade to SuperDish when it comes out. That way, I don't spend any more money on the equipment until the HD DirecTiVo comes out. If it's worth my while, then I'll just buy it and switch to DirecTV.

And if DISH pulls the new HD channels from the 110 satellite in the meantime, that'll just be too bad. But at this point, I've come to view the TiVo as a higher priority in my TV viewing experience than the programming provider.

9. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the key for me.

The 921 is winning awards left and right at various high tech shows and perhaps might seperate itself from the poor PVR's that DISH has previously produced.

I am taking a wait and see attitude. Since the 921 will be out in November, I should have good data to read about by early next year at which point I can make some of the same decisions you are.

Andy