HDNET does it so much better then ESPN

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Flagreekguy, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Flagreekguy

Flagreekguy New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    To those of you who haven't invested on the HD package, you gotta do it.

I purchased a 61 inch Samsung DLP t.v. when I bought my house a few months ago and purchased the HD package with it for my digital cable and I love HDNET (Concerts,Boxing,Movies and now Soccer)

If you compare not only the commentary (big difference compared to ESPN. they don't have that one guy who simply critiques each players like an idiot unable to enjoy an f'n game) but the HD picture is just a huge step above ESPN 2 HD. I also think the camera guys for HDNET have much more experience doing soccer games over ESPN because you seem to see MUCH more of the field vs ESPN usually zooming on the one person with the ball instead of the field. And no on field reporting btw.

Just a heads up, it's truly worth the money. it's only like an extra 12-20 bucks gang. it's not a bank breaker.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Comcast carried HDNet. :(

-G

3. Flagreekguy

Flagreekguy New Member

Aug 13, 2007

I'm so glad i picked it up with the package. It's become one of my favorite channels now.

Live concerts (Alternative,Rock,Folk,Country) Really good bands. Good movies (Brat pitt movie Snatch is on right now. Hands down one of the best movies of all time) And of course soccer and boxing.

It's a really kick aerse channel. And omg do they do it so much better then ESPN

4. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Mark Cuban knows how to please his customers.

5. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only MLS showed HDNet highlights. :(

6. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

He's also a soccer (FC Dallas) fan.

7. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put myself in debt for a while when I bought all of my equipment but it is well worth it. You will never go back to standard definition. My only complaint on HDnet is the crowd noise seems to be much quieter than it really is.

8. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if there was a HD all soccer channel...

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Fortunately, Verizon FIOS carries HDNet. If you're not watching it on a HD television, you're not watching it.

10. Joe_Cannon

Joe_Cannon New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I agree. I told my step dad about it one time, how much better HDnet is over regular channels and ESPNHD. HDnet actually believes in a split screen! ~gasp!~ They realize soccer doesn't stop every 40 seconds ~gasp!~

Plus I like eric wynalda but I like the commentators on HDnet better.

11. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PBP guy called section 8 the cauldron today, the same way O'brien called us Chivas supporters on Thursday. These guys have a little learning to do still. Balboa is a Beckham hater also. He likes to throw subliminals and cheap shots during broadcasts on HDnet.

12. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Balboa hates all players on offense. To him, all bookings are harsh and every attacker is a diver.

13. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I noticed that as well when I had HDNet, though it also depends on how full the stadia was (dang, Comcast does not carry the channel :(). The OP is correct that the picture quality is "better" than ESPN2-HD.

14. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    Balboa got the job because of his looks, as PBP person he's the worst I have heard.

15. Flagreekguy

Flagreekguy New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Why do you think that is about the crowd noise through HDNET? I DVR'D the game so now i'm watching it and i noticed it now. That's really strange.
    And you can't blame the crowd size cause there were 15 thousand in those seats and it's not exactly the size of the meadowlands so we should hear them better over HDNET.

hmmmm dropp the audio for better picture i see?

16. Flagreekguy

Flagreekguy New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    noticed that too. Lastnight after Blanco setup that second goal he started making beckham sucker punchers over the situation heading into colorado.

But you know what? i'll take a few of those (even though i'm a die hard beckham fan since Real Madrid) Over the better commentary as a whole and MUCH Better quality picture.
    And, again the camera guys for HDNET really know how to work a soccer game. They get a hell of alot more of the field them ESPN 2 does.

17. justinian

justinian New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    In my experience with Balboa on HDNet, I'll take the Beckham shots and general angst towards attackers for the one big thing ESPN continues to shove aside-PAYING ATTENTION TO THE SOCCER GAME HAPPENING IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE. Sorry about the all caps, but for me this is really what takes HDNet to the next level. They use their cameras so that you can see that flow of the game, and however you feel about the announcers in the booth their number one concern is the action on the field. I appreciate that, and I daresay it makes the game a much more lively viewing experience.

On a side note, I really dig the speculative suggestion up a few posts for comprehensive HD broadcasting. I mean, is it too unthinkable to sell non-exclusive rights to HDNet to broadcast as many games as they'd like? I know part of the reason why they must like their deal is that it's going to drive the hardcore fans to pick up the HD package, but maybe they'd have the same (or bigger) effect broadcasting a lot of MLS games in HD. I know I'd have a very hard time resisting such an opportunity.

18. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Amen. We had Time Warner when we moved here; but Comcast bought them out, raised our bill, and dropped some channels....including HDNet...

You can send a man to the freakin' moon....

EDIT: And I STILL can't get golTV...

EDIT II: You know things are bad when you have a discussion about who's better: Wynalda or Balboa

19. Flagreekguy

Flagreekguy New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    You bring up a good point. I don't understand why FSC has yet to pick up an HD camera and bring the regular fan a better picture. Anyone ever seen a USL game on FSC? feels like i'm playing on an originl nintendo with little blobs just running around the screen.

But that said. HDNET just came out with another HDNET channel (HDNET2) If MLS is smart they should go in contract with them hardcore (I don't care what price they have to give away) because the best commentary and picture quality comes from them. And it appears they are always running out of things to add onto the channel.

It would be like our own personal "Soccer channel HD"

And yes, your right. EVERY MLS fan will purchase that package if it were available. So no matter how much money MLS as a whole would have to sacrafice in order to get HDNET to do it, they would still profit from it. You could still have the thursday games with ESPN and the publicity you would get from HDNET would be amazing. Keep in mind there are only currently like 20 HD channels. So think of the 50's and 60's when there were only 5-10 channels? Everyone watched pretty much the same thing? if HDNET did this? Every f'n person with a HD T.V. would be forced to cross the game one way or another. Lots and lots of publicity that way.

JEEZ WHY HAVE THEY NOT THOUGHT OF THIS?

Every damn household with an H.D. T.V. would seriously cross the game whether they liked it or not.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Since HD broadcasts normally have higher production value that is evident, I sometimes find myself watching HD programming just because it is HD. I know I'm not the only one who has watched the sunrise in the Florida Everglades on Discover HD or some concert for some group you don't like on MHD. Sporting events in HD are some of the greatest things known to man. If there were a Soccer HD channel, I'd request to be put on a feeding tube, have a catheter inserted and be moved once every two days.

21. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's referring to Blanco then he's spot on. :)

22. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
  23. Flagreekguy

Flagreekguy New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Infact, everyone I know who has HD? finds themselve not watching much else unless it's a priority (IE their team playing in NFL MLB or NBA or EPL or MLS) So if you were to have one of those 20 channels all about soccer? plzzzzzzzzzzz so many new fans. Imagine all the EPL Fan's that can't watch EPL or Mexican league or La Liga fans who want to see soccer games in HD? if you had an MLS HD channel all those fans would finally start converting over. we have this huge soccer fan base in the states but because of the exceptionally good other leagues they won't convert. if we can give then a insentive then i think they would (IE having a MLS HD channel)

24. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's also the owner of the Dallas Chokers.

[​IMG]

Anyways, HDNET is indeed pretty awesome. I didn't even know I had the channel until I found out a few days ago. Now I can't stop watching.

25. iCanada

iCanada New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Edm, LA, now Boston
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Guilty as freakin' charged...LOVIN' HD!