HD Net

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Mad Header, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    OK, I'm way behind on this. I know HD is High Definition, but what is HD Net? Is it a special HD broadcast network? Does this have something to do with that theater in Lincolnshire that was showing games? Is there a regular schedule for those, or was that a one-time thing? Sorry if I missed a thread on this, but I keep picking up bits and pieces and I'm really feeling in the dark!

2. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HD net is a special channel on directv which you have to pay extra for and you have to get a special attachment to your directv dish to be able to get high definition. I got it and it is a great picture. I'm not sure if you can get it with digital cable.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HD Net is a cable and satellite television network owned by the owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team.

They have a deal to show about one MLS game every week in high definition.

The Regal Cinema events (there were four of them) showed the same high definition feed that was sent to HD Net, less the commercials that were inserted into the feed for the cable and satellite channels.

If more Regal Cinema MLS broadcasts are planned, you will be able to find out on this website, where you can buy tickets to the special Regal broadcast events (concerts, sports, etc).

http://www.regalcm.com/index.asp

Apparently, the next big thing is a Kiss concert.

4. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    There was a story about the MLS games at theatres in US News this week.

5. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
  6. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    Thanks for all the responses.

Re: Digital Cable. Does anyone know if there is a technical reason why HD Net is not available over this medium? Will it be in the future?

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is available on some cable systems.

Charter is one.

RCN offers it in some places.

It's generally on a digital tier that costs about ten bucks a month.

RCN has your local over the air HD networks (ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX) plus HBO and Showtime (you get the HD version when you get the standard version), and Discovery HD, ESPN HD, HD Net and HD Net Movies.

This costs you twelve bucks a month, plus your HBO or Showtime fees, plus you have to rent a HD Converter box (not a standard Digital cable box).

However, at the moment, it's only available in Manhattan, Queens, Lehigh Valley (Philly Area, IIRC) and Boston.

Have no fear, it's coming here eventually.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    HDnet wants fans to be able to experience the games, that's why they list places to view HDnet (in bars and restaurants, etc.) on their website.

I've been out to see one game on HDnet that was not available on any other carrier (i guess it was on the Shootout package, but may not have been, since i don't have it) and it was great to be able to see the game in that quality. I think the production crew is still getting used to working with the new technology.

But it's nice that MLS is taking steps to show more games and a weekly game in the latest medium.

It might be accuate to say that within the US, the interest for HDTV currently even lags behind the interest for soccer. Perhaps both can help propel eachother.

9. VortexUnited

VortexUnited New Member

Dec 5, 2000
    As a side note to all of this...

HDNet is owned buy the Mav's guy, but is the child of parent company AEG.

Regal Cinemas were also recently acquired by a child of parent company AEG.

So, its all our great big friend Phil protecting his investments...