Hazard Warning Signs - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Should definitely not get him as a lb, but I think he is far far more than depth at CB, and hard to find a better CB in League other than the other Dutch CB, regardless of whether he grew up in our system, though that is a plus. And he is really good in the air a definite need for us right now. Plus he prefers dm and could give us depth there as well. We could recoup most of the money by selling who then wants out and 40 is cheap these days with the price of worse cb's like Stones considered

Rman3349 repped this.
  2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As others have kind of alluded to, I don't think Ake wants to come back to the same situation he wanted to leave in the first place. He's a starter for probably 15+ teams in this league. Chelsea is not one of them. I don't think he'd want to come back here.

Just more lazy journalist bs imo.

3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah I forgot how dominant our defense has been, especially in the air; he would start for me, ahead of Zouma, ahead of Christensen, rotate a bit with Tomori alongside Rudiger

4. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LOL. Ok. I'll say then we can do a lot better than Ake.

5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Right full back more important as LB for me by far.. from what I've seen of him, Emerson is more than adequate just need to see the guy get a run of games.

Alonso has put in a couple of bad shifts lately but typically it's been Azpi who the opposition have targeted as our weak link. I mean FFS, half of Willian's job is to cover for him. That isn't right. Even if James is who we hope he is, there needs to be cover/competition there.

6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What sort of player would you guys bring in at full back? A younger player with potential (downside is lack of minutes could stunt development). An established player with pedigree and years ahead of them (will be expensive). An older player who can slot in as needed (how would they really differ to what Dave/Alonso currently offer)?

It's a bit of a conundrum. We need to assess whether Emerson and James are going to be good enough to be starters on a title winning team and, if not, for me, we need to focus on identifying that middle player who will make us better. If they are good enough than we would consider Dave/Marcos increasingly in a back up cover role and only replace them if sold. I would want to avoid another Zappacosta type of purchase where we bring in a body to make up the numbers which in no way shape or form makes us any better.

Best case scenario, Emerson and James continue to improve and become nailed on starters for a new blue dynasty :)

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    We're currently good enough to be the third best team in the league without making significant purchases. To me that suggests if we do buy, we should buy towards the top of the market (or continue to buy younger promising players). So I would target someone like Alex Telles (not him necessarily, but someone like him). I strongly agree that buying players like Zappacosta is pointless - we need to make significant improvements, not spend 25mm for squad players. We already have those.
    Personally, I don't think Emerson gets to the level we need, and I don't know about James. We'll see. I also don't watch enough European football anymore to have great ideas about what players are out there I'd want to buy, it's more about the profiles of players we should go after. I actually think Spurs did very well in the transfer market this summer (Lo Celso and N'Dombele are really good!); they're just Spurs :)

Wrath and Brock Hannsen repped this.
  8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Not so sure about that anymore, Zouma is growing in stature each and every game.

Dr_Intoxicated, Blueallthru and lobomojo repped this.
  9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    ..as for who we should look at to purchase, for the first time (ever) I think I'm looking to a Real Madrid type.
    Big money for a big player.

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He is improving, and perhaps was overly knocked earlier, but even if I seem to be one of the few I really like Ake's game, and he can cover dm well also. I don't watch enough other Leagues lately to know who are the Real Mad types worth getting, though I know who would be pleased by Koulibaly.

Other than the obvious unattainable VVD, I don't see anyone else who would be a large improvement to what we have, though I do think Ake would be an improvement to Zouma and AC as well who I am cooling a bit upon, and a dependable experienced poised presence as Tomori learns more & protection to Rudiger injuries, as well as an added aerial and goal scoring threat

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    People who haven’t seen him play this year.

Ninjatend0 and Brock Hannsen repped this.
  12. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rudiger out at least 3 more weeks after groin surgery

13. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2763 Dr_Intoxicated, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    I agree but to be honest he is just getting back to the player he was before he was injured.

Some people on the forum seem to have forgotten how he was playing in that season and he was a huge loss at the time

Also following Tuesday's game I forgot how effective Dave had been on the left. We were much better with James on the right.

Dave is so one footed, on the left he can pass forward to the left winger more effectively and also can deal with the opposition player cutting inside.

I think there are arguments to keeping him on the left.

14. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Real Madrid player? You wanna buy Hazard back?
    Harry Kane or Pogba might want to play Champions League Football next year with a big club? I agree ideally we need 2-3 big signings. Nothing mediocre, ordinary or 'meh'. Not sure who they should be at this point, but I know Zaha is not one that I would even vaguely recommend.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Not quite like that.
    More like spend most of the reported kitty on just the one player, a galactico if you will.
    Get Sancho, never mind looking for "good players"...just get one world class.

16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lazio and Serbia midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic [24] in January if the transfer ban is lifted. Apparently. Does this mean the end for Ross Barkley? :eek:

£5million is the asking price for Olivier Giroud when the transfer window opens in January. Inter Milan, Vancouver White Caps, Crystal Palace, Nice, Bordeaux, Marseille and Lyon are all interested.

17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed. We have enough players to 'develop' so what we need is players who are good to go.

18. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not sure this agrees with any of my earlier posts in this thread or will to any later posts by myself.:cautious::D

Funny last spring, thought we needed multiple players in many areas, what a change in perspective a coaching change can make;

Now for me a LB to compete with or start ahead of Emerson, this is where I would spend big on a world class great on both ends player, but not sure whom, that would be available. As discussed I would add Ake, perhaps cash out on Christensen, as Ake can also back up at a purer and physical dm role, an area of need.

Really would not spend in midfield, or big money on the Serbian Lamp (though have not really seen him), when RLC is back, we will have issues finding time for all and I would enjoy more watching Mount and RLC grow and hopefully become Chelsea Legends, and one or both would have to sit too much, if we brought in a 70-80 million player in their spot. RLC healthy and Billy growing, along with the superb this year kov and Jorginho will replace any need for Barkley, and Pul can back up the Mount/RLC CAM/#10 role as well.

I would also spend big on a youngish World class striker, preferably physical and versatile (wide ability a bonus) to compete with and supplement Tammy and offer other attacking options. A young wing to replace Pedro in order but not a pressing Winter need if we get that window, nor a glaring summer need if we keep WillIian as I think we should.

19. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :ROFLMAO: :p I think that it is okay. People and their opinions can change.

Change is inevitable.

Midfield players and strength in-depth. We like Jorghino and kovacic these days. We like Kante. We like Mount. But there will be changes either in January or in the summer.

We are going to buy players and that will mean that it will get tough for some of our young players to get games. RLC may be like a new signing when he returns. Hard to say this, BUT RLC may not ever get back into this team, may not fully recover from his injury, may always be injury prone. We may need to replace the squad player that is Ross Barkley. We may lose Kante to Real Madrid. We need to replace Pedro and Giroud. We may also need to replace/upgrade Michy. We may need to replace Alonso. We should always be looking for upgrades imho. The right kind of upgrades. Not the Drinkwater's or Benayoun type players. Time we tell and we shall continue to shoot the breeze on here. I wonder how Neymar would work in this team eh?

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I’m all for it, so long as we focus on youth. No more Shevchenkos.

21. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    "
    Get French Football News@GFFN

N'Golo Kanté admits he could finish his career at Chelsea; asked if he could see himself playing in another league: "Not really." (TF1) http://bit.ly/NgoloRelax

7:31 AM - Nov 10, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

53 people are talking about this

“Of course (I could finish my career at Chelsea), today I am with Chelsea until 2023. So, in my head, I hope to continue to have great seasons with Chelsea until 2023,” Kante told Telefoot, as translated by Get French Football News.

And when asked if he could see himself playing in another league, he simply responded: “No, not really.”

"

Yahtzee repped this.
  22. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Sergei will cost as much as Pulisic and will replace Barkley ? Is he expected to be an upgrade over Mount and/or Pulisic and/or CHO ? He is 6'3" and a Serbian International so he might be bring useful attributes to Chelsea.

Still getting use to the idea that a Big Club is always trying to improve the squad by buying better and younger talent (hopefully) to supplant current squad members who seem to be playing pretty well.

23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    #2773 dspence2311, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    You don’t have to get used to that idea. Lots of people never believed 3 years ago that ManU needed an upgrade for Rashford, and I am not sure Lukaku provided much that Rashford and Martial couldn’t have provided had they taken his time,

But my point is that if the money is a scarce resource why would you spend to add to your deepest, strongest position? I guess if Willian will be gone next year, than that is one answer. Kante doesn’t sound like he is going anywhere.

24. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is just a rumour. You didn't even mention RLC. But yes we will be buying players at some point. Clubs buy new players. Big clubs buy very expensive ones. Options and upgrades.

25. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Burnley want to send back Drinkwater in January.
    He has only managed one game for them thus far.
    In fact Drinkwater has played just 23 times since leaving Leicester City in 2017.
    Not to mention Danny Drinkwater was battered by six thugs outside the china white nightclub after trying to bed another footballer’s lover. Danny doesn't only Drink water. Maybe he could give fighting tips to the cab kebab dropper?