Hazard Warning Signs - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's what our overpaid scouts and stuff are for. I'm too out of the loop to name anyone that isn't relatively marquee.

If James isn't as good as we hope, we surely need a right full back more than anything. It's embarrassing that we have a right winger who's job is to cover for Azpi.

Rman3349 repped this.
  2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    At keeper, we've got Keepa. I'll leave finding the backups to the club.

At central defense, Rudiger, Tomori, and Christensen are solid going forward. Zouma needs to be replaced in my opinion. It would be silly to spend a ton of money in this area. Tomori looks incredible at this level already.

At full-back, Reece James is the hope to replace Az, which I think will happen perhaps next season. Az will stay through his 2022 contract. At the left, the people's choice is Emerson but he can't stay healthy. I could see Alonso leaving if we bring in someone like Chillwell, who isn't necessarily a tremendous upgrade today.

In the midfield, we have a lot of talent coming through with the likes of Gilmour and Gallagher and Ampadu. They'll have to fight for spots with Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, and RLC, who I hope can stay healthy for a season! We need to move on from Barkley. He's really bad. Mount is also in this midfield group fighting for minutes.

At winger, I think Pedro will move on. Willian will sign a 2-year extension. Otherwise, we have 2 seriously promising players in Pulisic and CHO. We need to sign another, though. That will be interesting.

At striker, Giroud will move on in the summer. Michy will stay. Tammy will sign an extension. Who wants to play 3rd striker and push the other two?

Rman3349 and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  3. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    only place i might pick on is striker. i'm not sure Michy stays after this season, but we won't know that until we see him the rest of the season. so i'm just not sure we answer this right now. if he shows he can really thrive and push tammy and they can be a great striking pair for depth then great. i think there are still some questions on whether Michy can be the guy, as much as i really like him and thought he could, he hasn't really made the jump up i was hoping for.

Yahtzee repped this.
  4. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So, today the rumour is all about the end of the ban. The Chelsea legal team are confident the transfer ban will be lifted and are preparing to sign players in the January window.

Giroud has been linked to Palace.
    And for his replacement. . .
    Callum Wilson is being linked with Chelsea.
    Timo Werner is being linked with Chelsea.

5. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [QUOTE="Yahtzee, post: 38249489, member: 232460"......
    If James isn't as good as we hope, we surely need a right full back more than anything. It's embarrassing that we have a right winger who's job is to cover for Azpi.[/QUOTE]

Az answered that himself later that day....supreme key outing for Az,
    Az was heard uttering "up yours Yaht..." leaving the press wondering....:D but I get your point, but:

though part of the rw's job is always to cover for the rb and play D all over field, and Az is not as good against speed as once was, I'd lean to saying that Willian or the rw has to cover as much or more for Kante being absent, and a bit for Jorginho, and Kov not covering and shading the rb and defenders as well;

as Lamp's systems lean to high press, and a high attack by the outside backs, along with at least 2 of three midfielders, and often a cb, the job of the rw, with the inherent speed and engine the position requires, be it Willian or Pul or CHO or Pedro will always be thus, as Lamp himself as said a few times this year and indicated where he wants more work and nous from Pul and CHO;

Willian excels at that, even yesterday when he was slated so much, and overall one of his worst outings, at least he was everywhere protecting our end on the defensive end, though tbf he created too many of those opportunities himself with lost passes and dribbles. A healthy Pedro also plays D well and works hard. So it is not just all about soccer assists, to earn a job for any of the 4, and Pul tbf and the rest all seem to be working hard at it, but where if Pul really ups his game he can cement himself a starting spot along with his attacking skills and clutch moments;

also every reason to assume James is that good; so for me not the most pressing need a rb quite yet,

anyone know much about Tariq Lamptey, our 19 year old rb PSG planning to steal again in summer as he will be out of contract

Yahtzee repped this.
  6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As huge a Mak fan as I am, I do recall his last dm recommendation:eek::eek::cautious:

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id love to get Timo but he’s headed to Bayern to replace Lewandowski

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lamp supposedly wants new Serbian Lamp, Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, for 50 million plus

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I dunno, his goal scoring numbers are pretty good, and in Lampard’s system he doesn’t have to do the one thing he’s bad at - play with his back to goal. He’s a good fit. Assuming his knees are ok, of course. Not a ton of other great options out there.

10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #2710 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    AKA The Paul Pogba of Serbia according to the wikipedia.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has established himself as a 'complete midfielder', in the modern sense of the term, which earned him Paul Pogba of Serbia. Comparable to players such as Zinedine Zidane and Yaya Touré, Milinkovic-Savic blends the traditional attacking movement and finishing ability of an attack midfielder, with the height and physicality of a target man or defensive midfielder.

He's a big lad 6ft 3"

I wonder how well him and Kovacic would get along?

lobomojo repped this.
  11. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lol have not heard that one before.

Insane hyperbole aside, he would be a phenomenal addition.

Personally, I don't think central midfielders are something we should be spending on give how much competition we have there, not to mention the incredible amount of talent we have there in the youth teams.

But if SMS is available for anything close to 50mil, you have to do it

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Kante is older and having some injury issues, it’s not clear Jorginho is a Lampard type player, which really leaves Kovacic (assuming Barkley is flotsam and or jetsam). Makes sense to me, though I’m not sure whom I’d target.

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think, and from what Lamp says, Jorginho is very much a Lamp player, but certainly not at dm, but as a deeper box to box or deeper pivot player along side a Kante or similar. Be interesting selections when all healthy and available.

Not sure if Lamp agrees, but despite his defensive shortcomings, (tbf he is developing a lovely bit of a nasty streak and a bit of a Scholes just a wee bit (or a whole lot) late nasty streak on tackles), Jorginho has been one of our best and key players this season overall.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I do wonder what that says about Lampards private view of the future of RLC.

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I view him as an attacking midfielder, not as a CM. I have no idea how Lampard sees him.

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How can some of you meanies rag on this guy; Willian loves Chelsea and wants to stay:

"
    'I'm very happy here at Chelsea. Of course my contract is ending now, at the end of the season it's over. But I'm happy at Chelsea and I plan to stay here.'

Just a few weeks ago, Willian spoke about his future at Chelsea and said he was reluctant to move, with his family settled in London.

'From my side, I want to stay,' he told the Evening Standard.

'I have one year left and I want to stay because I like to play for Chelsea.

'I love this club, I love to live in London and my family loves it here. I have been here six years already so everything is perfect for me.

'Of course [there is more I want to do at Chelsea], win the Champions League!

'I want to win more titles here, I want to play more games, to score more goals so everything that I can do, I will try hard to do.'"

stanger repped this.
  17. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Has anyone seen Pedro lately?

Is Pulisic also some sort of Blackbriar or Treadstone graduate?
    Maybe Larx?

Is this his way of getting into the first 11...quietly knocking off the competition?

Hum...

Anyway, one of our older wingers isn't going to have the inclination to be left out of squad each week, see extremely limited playing time and be willing to stick around next season.
    Willian putting in his plug before Pedro.

Of course, if the aforementioned Black Ops kid keeps playing well, he may end up on the right and push both of them out.

lobomojo repped this.
  18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea are being linked with AC Milan's Krzysztof Piatek [24].

Piatek is known as "Il Pistolero" (the Gunslinger) due to his habit of using finger guns in his goal celebrations.

19. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Granted
    Seems pretty clear to me that Lamps likes him...
    Who has also thrived un Frank and looks to be someone we will keep for at least a while too
    He would be a nice guy to have at half the price and without the ambitions to be a starter.

Plus RLC, who will be back at some point.

If Ross leaves, then we definitely need a 4th midfielder for this group. Just not sure if its the first place I'd spend given needs elsewhere (which are not nearly as numerous for us as we could have possibly expected them to be 2 months ago, praise be).

Also, it would have sounded crazy to say this not long ago, but we have a fair few young promising CMs in the pipeline, and given what we've seen this year its not nuts to think at least one of them might contribute sooner than we think.

Overall, pretty far down on the list of needs. Especially when we're talking about a player like SMS, who will likely be super expensive.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  20. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All that said, he's a tremendous player and at the right price it would be hard to say no, even without much of a need at that spot

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think Jorginho plays because there’s no other choice, not because he necessarily fits Lampard’s system. Frank is trying to do a lot of pressing and play very aggressively- Jorginho isn’t great at this. I fully agree Kovacic is good in this system, he’s more suited to playing for Lampard than he ever was for Sarri. I see RLC as an attacking
    midfield, not a midfielder. That’s an opinion, Frank may disagree. Based on that, I think we can use a very good CM.

There’s no right answer - we’re still quite early into the season and a need may become more apparent, especially if there are more serious injuries or if a player wants out. Left back is also a good option. Or right back depending on how Reece James does.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree and agree. I agree that he doesn’t naturally fit the system that Frank is trying to implement. However, he doesn’t play cause a lack of options. Listen to Frank talk about him. Hell Frank made him Vice Captain if I’m not mistaken. He loves the passion Jorgi brings to training. He loves that he’s a leader and ways talking. He refers to him as a winner and driver of the team. He thinks he will make a good manager one day. These are all things he doesn’t say about someone who’s forced into his 11 because of a lack of options.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think Jorginho is a good player, but I also don't think he's what Lampard ideally wants from his squad. That he made Jorginho vice captain is very likely down to Jorginho's standing with the players and his experience, not due to his actual playing ability. (Considering that Jorginho is our second oldest outfield regular, that also makes sense.)

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jorgi likely isn’t the type of player Frank would pick but he has been very good under Frank and his age may have played role but I just don’t think he says all of those things about him if he doesn’t see him in his future plans.